Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else used Coppertone's Continuous Spray Sport sunscreen?

I tried it last summer & noticed it stained the white cotton T shirt I was wearing @ the time. Yes, it goes on clear, but later there were stains around the collar & shirt sleeve hem that were almost a skin tone. When I washed the shirt, the stains didn't come out. Since I was afraid to try it w/ any of my jerseys, I pitched the can into the recycling bin.

Is this just a problem w/ cotton clothing or all materials?

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
I've used it a few times but I think it's nasty.. too much mess and too much everywhere you don't need it. Plus I feel like it doesn't wash off as well.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
One sunscreen I used caused bad stains on my some of my gear. It may have been the Coppertone Spray. Fortunately I always wear a base layer, so no harm to my jerseys, but my favorite base layer looks pretty ratty.

·
Satanic Watch Winder
4,839 Posts
Try Neutrogena Spray Sunblock SPF 45. I've used it for three years. I breathes so well you don't notice that it's there, but I've never burned while wearing it. It works all day, applies easily and evenly and washes of in the shower. As such, it's never stained any clothing I've had on while wearing it.

·
Low rep power
6,264 Posts
Tried the Coppertone for fishing after seeing it recommended by a guide I know, who spends mucho time in the sun. The pump spray sport version works perfectly well too.

·
Meow!
1,449 Posts
oily666 said:
Try Neutrogena Spray Sunblock SPF 45. I've used it for three years. I breathes so well you don't notice that it's there, but I've never burned while wearing it. It works all day, applies easily and evenly and washes of in the shower. As such, it's never stained any clothing I've had on while wearing it.
I second that recommendation. Their "dry touch" formulation--in both the spray and lotion--isn't the least bit greasy or heavy. I like the lotion for my face because it doesn't make me break out.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I also have had really good luck with the sport pump spray. non-greasy, never get burned when i use it and reapply every couple of hours... and i burn easily

·
Sluggo
200 Posts
Works for me

Here in sunny Florida, summers can be a bear. I use the Coppertone Spray and have had good results with it. No stained clothes, and best of all, no sunburn.
Just don't get it in your eyes. It burns like a mofro.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
revrnd said:

I tried it last summer & noticed it stained the white cotton T shirt I was wearing @ the time. Yes, it goes on clear, but later there were stains around the collar & shirt sleeve hem that were almost a skin tone. When I washed the shirt, the stains didn't come out. Since I was afraid to try it w/ any of my jerseys, I pitched the can into the recycling bin.

Is this just a problem w/ cotton clothing or all materials?
I haven't noticed any staining from it. Can't say I've used it with white cotton, though.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I like how easy it goes on and seems to work well, but I'm still trying to remove some overspray from my Sigma computer screen. It seems to have bonded with the plastic somehow. Beware of overspray!

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
I use Banana Boat Cream for nose, cheeks, ears, neck and arms.
Sprays work, but seem to go everywhere and also seem to get sticky during the ride.
Banana Boat is easy to apply and gets absorbed quickly.
I hate sunscreens, but it's necessary, and the cream works the best for me.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Mdeth1313 said:
I use the bullfrog gel-- sprays are too messy and too much of a waste. This stuff works all day.
That's my experience, too.

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
On dermatologist's recommendation:

revrnd said:
I had a scary episode with skin cancer several years ago, so am now hyper-vigilent about sunscreen and preventive measures.

Our dermatologist recommends a brand called Kinesys. <a href="http://www.kinesys.com"><b>Click HERE for product info.</b></a> Been using this product for quite a while, and very pleased with it. I sweat like a freaking horse on hot-weather rides, and the protection is still great.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I've used a variety...some do stain and I recall that Coppertone was one of those. Did same with the car seats when the Mrs. put lotion on her legs. The leather is discolored from where her skin contacted the seat. :(

I like the Neutrogena Dry Touch also.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I use either the Coppertone Sport continuous spray or the cheaper generic equivalent from Walgreens. I tried Bull Frog Gel some years back but never really liked it that much.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts