Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's been brought up before, but things are always changing, and from what I'm reading, it's getting more and more possible every day to cut the cord from cable TV. Movies? No-brainer right with Netflix... but cycling? Subscription or not, I'm open to possibilities, English language broadcast if possible. Can I get the volume I'm getting now with Verizon and every channel possible? What about local TV? I'm sure Netflix has "shows" covered, but I don't have it. Albeit, we don't watch much local TV, if any.

So, thanks for any indulgence, I'd just love some Loungers opinions and experiences.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
We used to have one of those crazy expensive 200+ channel packages and were just dragging our feet with cancelling it. We moved recently (and had a baby). I went with the $30 internet and $15 "basic" TV package which is basically a curated collection of the most useless channels available.

My brother in law installed Kodi (Specto Fork extension) client on my MacBook, which is a somewhat illegal bit-torrent type video sharing service. Don't ask me where he got it or how he installed it but after getting a crash course in turning it on and finding a movie we were off and watching every recent hot movie in 1080p quality. I simply plug in an HDMI cable from the TV to the macbook and hit play.

I'm in the process of searching for a cycling extension to download and use with Kodi (basically, a channel if you will). My understanding however is that all extensions play pre-recorded content and not live feeds.

What I used to do for cycling was plug my compter to my TV - so that its displayed on the screen - open the web browser go to steephill.tv bike travelogue and procycling live coverage and start watching live feeds of whatever stage/race was on. These open in a youtube type video box which you then maximize to fill your TV screen. Quality was great to meh depending on how encoded. Steephill.tv is GREAT and free.

We seldom watch TV since the baby was born, and so while I can understand you truly don't watch TV or don't have a need for it, having a Netflix subscription can provide enough top notch programming for you to confidently ditch cable. The only thing you would be missing is a "live" news channel.

I guess you can say I cut the cord, however, right around that time my life changed significantly. While I don't miss what I had - what passes for TV is just so effin stupid - I don't know how much of it is because how I consume TV changed. Netflix and Amazon Prime cover all "shows" and Kodi gives me every single movie, ever.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
We cancelled our basic cable package a few years ago and don't miss it one bit. An antenna gets us CBS/NBC/FOX/PBS for local stuff and the very occasional football game (we're not sports fans). We bought a ROKU for Netflix etc. since it's way cleaner and convenient to use versus hauling the laptop around, and messing with cords.

Just yesterday I had to replace our Bluray player and for $50 you can get a wifi enabled unit that appears to do all the same things the ROKU does.

Notice that I still have a Bluray? That's because 1) I still have a really cool locally owned video store down the road from me, and 2) you can't get everything on Netflix/Amazon, particularly the very new releases.

I actually watch a lot more Youtube than I thought I would. There's some really good ski/surf/MTB/travel videos out there if you know which publishers are putting out quality stuff.

I could see things being different for sports fans but otherwise I honestly don't think it makes sense for anyone else to have cable. Netflix has WAY better programming as far as shows - unless you're hooked on "reality TV".

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
I wanted to get a new appleTV.. still had the first gen version.. So opted for 3 months of DirectTVNOW.. which gave me a free AppleTV box... trying it out, sucks there is no DVR (its planned) Really want to cut cable or reduce to the bare min. Likely take my savings and get AT$T Fiber

·
Registered
360 Posts
We cut the cord about 1 year ago. We installed an antenna on the roof for local channels. And we got a fire stick for a lot of online streaming. YouTube and Kodi cover the rest of our tv. There are so many apps available that cable no longer makes sense.
Oh ya we had a baby also, so we don't have time for tv anyways. But it is noce that I am only spending 40 a month for internet and not paying 150 for cable.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
My brother in law installed Kodi (Specto Fork επέκταση Fork) πελάτη στο MacBook μου, η οποία είναι μια κάπως παράνομο τύπο bit-torrent υπηρεσία διαμοιρασμού βίντεο. Μην με ρωτάτε, όπου το πήρε ή πώς να εγκατασταθεί, αλλά μετά από να πάρει μια πορεία σύγκρουσης με την ενεργοποίησή της και την εξεύρεση μια ταινία ήμασταν μακριά και βλέποντας κάθε πρόσφατη καυτή ταινία σε ποιότητα 1080p. Απλώς συνδέστε ένα καλώδιο HDMI από την τηλεόραση με το macbook και να χτυπήσει το παιχνίδι.

I'd love to cut the cord, but to my husband and I, this is what it's like trying to figure out alternatives!

It's also what it sounds like when people try to explain it. :rolleyes: We are not tech-savvy by any stretch- non-Mac computers, fat-ass TV set, and I still have the flip phone.

I could kinda see getting a smart TV and watching YouTube. Might be able to get a lot of the Discovery channel shows (maybe not), maybe some live morning news from network TV..........really no idea.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I tried Kodi for a little bit, I wasn't really impressed, buffering, channels not connecting and movie quality wasn't all that. plus my wife is not tech savy so it would have been a PITA for her. We just have an antenna and that's all we need.

·
Registered
360 Posts
If you want to try kodi, the easiest way is to get a fire stick. Very easy to install, there are many how tos on youtube. It is not for everone however.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
336 Posts
Please note that "Kodi" is NOT
a somewhat illegal bit-torrent type video sharing service
Kodi Media Center Project (Kodi) is an open-source software project managed on github by the XBMC Foundation. The project provides installable binaries for many platforms and is released under GPL v2 and CC v3.0. Kodi itself contains no content. It provides library management for local files and api support for various streaming protocols, as well as integration of streaming files into the local library, primarily via JSON and Python 2.7 apis. An additional feature is automated on-line retrieval of metadata for media files. Kodi includes built-in players for video and audio, and allows for the use of external players in addition.

Since Kodi is open source with published apis, it is straightforward to write python scripts to access streaming sites. The Kodi project provides some of these scripts as installable add-ons, but nothing prevents third parties from developing and distributing their own scripts.

Since Kodi source code is licensed under GPL, there is no restriction on entities using Kodi software as part of a so-called "fully loaded box" or a "build" or "wizzard", provided any changes to Kodi software code includes the source code with GPL intact.

The decision of an entity or end user to provide/obtain/use infringing content is theirs and theirs alone. Kodi / XBMC Foundation provides no support for infringing uses of the software, nor "builds"/binaries other than those released by the XBMC Foundation.

scott s.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I am getting ready to cut. I got a streamsmart box to use. Not the cheapest way to go. It is a Kodi box that is managed by them. It updates when thing change automatically. So far has been real good

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Proud luddite
7,223 Posts
While we're on the subject, any of you tried Sling TV? How do you like it? We're thinking about ditching cable for Sling TV but those fargin' bastaches have split the ESPN and the Fox sports channels into two different groups so you have to subscribe to the big daddy group to get them both.

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
I cut the cable years ago and I would never go back. Started out with a Google TV. It worked ok but some things were blocked. I then got a Google Chrome Box with a wireless keyboard and its perfect for the TV. I can watch any thing on the net. I never really understood why all the streaming boxes are so popular when they limit what you can watch. I also got a nice 25in tv for my Mac Mini and I watch allot of stuff on that too. You can find most things on Netflix, Google Play, or websites. I watch allot of PBS and you can find most things right on the website. I'm also not a sports watcher so thats not an issue for me. As for cycling I really only watch the Mountain Bike XC world cups and thats on Redbull TV for free.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I cut the cord more than two years ago, and don't miss it a bit. The nearly $200 a month cable was costing me covers a lot of nice bike toys.

The only thing I really miss is live sports. I'm not a crazy sports nut, but would like to be able to watch some live games now and then. Fortunately, more and more this stuff is available as part of online packages, or even ad-hoc. Even twitter streams live sports on occasion (caught a few Thursday night football games this way).

·
Registered
411 Posts
Cut cable two years ago. Now using AppleTV and the free apps on it, and for cycling the paid ($20 or $30 a year) NBC Gold subscription. You get quite a lot of road races on it. There's also the Red Bull TV app for free for watching world cup mountain biking. I'll be installing an antenna this summer when time allows.

We peaked at $120 / month for Xfinity cable + internet. Now have SureWest fiber for $43/month. A good savings.

·
Boobies!
8,170 Posts
I'm not sure why we haven't cut the cord yet-mostly procrastination, I suppose.

We've already experimented with an indoor antenna (Leaf), and we would have to put it pretty high up in the room, but we were able to get some OTA (over the air) channels in high def, even though we are out in the sticks.

We already have a Google Chromecast stick, so we use that sometimes . It lets you start any feed on your laptop and then "cast" to your TV. I've also got a mini-PC and we start a lot of stuff in a browser and watch on the TV--Amazon Prime gives you a lot of free stuff, and we have Netflix as well. (I have an old Microsoft Media Center keyboard that lets me control the PC from the couch). And we still play the occasional dvd with the same little PC.

In fact, we rarely watch network TV, so paying for it seems a waste, except here everything is tied into the "triple play", so there is not really a great savings for us, to go to the "double" (we maintain a land line for my wife's business).

But we may do it in 2017!

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
I watch allot of PBS and you can find most things right on the website.

Be sure to contribute some of your savings when they have pledge drives!

Guess I'll have to look into this Chrome Box idea. We have a bundled package for phone/internet/cable, but I'm so sick of the cost. "Box rental fee" such BS.

Not sure how we can cut out cable yet still have the same internet/phone service. Also, afraid to spend money on another system only to find out it sucks.

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
I watch allot of PBS and you can find most things right on the website.

Be sure to contribute some of your savings when they have pledge drives!

Guess I'll have to look into this Chrome Box idea. We have a bundled package for phone/internet/cable, but I'm so sick of the cost. "Box rental fee" such BS.

Not sure how we can cut out cable yet still have the same internet/phone service. Also, afraid to spend money on another system only to find out it sucks.
My TV and internet is provided by Satan (aka Comcast). Because of bundling it does not save all that much by dropping basic tv and maintaining Internet. I am close enough to Philly that I could get over-the-air broadcast tv.

Christine, I have two Chromecast devices and I do use them quite a bit. You can sometimes find them for $25 on sale. They connect via WiFi so you need to have a decent signal to get good streaming

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Cut cable two years ago. Now using AppleTV and the free apps on it, and for cycling the paid ($20 or $30 a year) NBC Gold subscription. You get quite a lot of road races on it. There's also the Red Bull TV app for free for watching world cup mountain biking. I'll be installing an antenna this summer when time allows.

We peaked at $120 / month for Xfinity cable + internet. Now have SureWest fiber for $43/month. A good savings.
This is what I was thinking, along these lines. That will get me lots of the cycling I need. I still need college football. This is not so easy. I guess everyone would be cut if it was that was clearly a cost and access advantage.

·
Registered
778 Posts
1 - 20 of 47 Posts