Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi am am relatively new to to the road bike world and i need advice on how to alleviate lower back pain. my back gives out long before my lounges and legs

I'm sure a 1/3 is genetic, 1/3 poor riding posture, and 1/3 a weak core. I can't do anything about the genetics but can you post posture stretching and core building techniques. Now 30-40 miles is all i can do on a regular basis, and I would like to be able to do centuries.

Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Almost everybody's back hurts when they first get into long riding. It usually goes away with time. In the mean time, you can take a few more breaks and/or stretch on the bike a bit more.

But you are wise to strengthen your core anyway. The standard exercises for abs (upper, lower, oblique) and back are recommended. A quick google search will turn up good descriptions--there are lots of variations.

·
jaydub_u
249 Posts
well, you could do what I did. 2 things. I bought a new mattress and I hired a trainer. He focused on the core and full body workout. I used him for 3 months and I have gone from routine lower back issues to virtually none. Some exorcises that I would have never thought would help my back, actually did. It is amazing when you work with a real pro trainer how much I realize that I was wasting a lot of time in the gym. Now my workouts are 50 min. and I feel like overcooked pasta when I am done. They spend an awful lot of time on the quads as well. Which really has helped in my cycling.

·
Registered
125 Posts
A couple of thoughts:

- make sure you are bending on the bike properly - if you bend at the waist (and not at the hips), a lot of good things happen including better "sit bone" connection with the seat and a straight back. There's probably better descriptions somewhere on how to make sure you are bending correctly but I move off the saddle toward the front of the bike. Push out my butt so I'm bending at the waist and then slide back onto the saddle. (perhaps someone has link to a youtube showing how to do it)
- make sure to stretch on the bike. I was doing a metric century charity ride together with someone I had just met and he told me he had an "ahah" moment when he saw me sit up straight and stretch first to one side and then the other (turning almost completely around from the waist)
- and, yes, I now do core exercises every morning to alleviate my decades-long back problems AND build core for riding

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That kind what i was thinking i need to take more than one approaches at this. Better stretches, better posture, and a starting an exercise regiment that works on the core. Are there any good books / tutorial for the beginning rider that can help with stretches and posture. Also, do you think it would be worth it to buy a roman chair.

·
Descender
1,940 Posts
Have you had a professional bike fit. Sounds like you could benefit from one. Certainly the best place to start.

Also - you have to break in your body to adapt to riding - it takes time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts