Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know the characteristics of cork brake pads? Is the purpose to withstand higher heat without melting, compared to rubber?

I have a set of Corima cork pads that I originally got for some Velomax Ascent Pro carbon wheels. The pads, combined with the uncoated (no ceramic) rims worked like total crap.

Anyone use cork pads on aluminum rims (like Open Pros)? I'm thinking that for the rear, where you don't really need or want strong braking, using cork as a sort of "drag brake" down long descents (fixed gear) might be ideal, if the properties of cork lend themselves to sustained braking, but not necessarily strong braking. Any ideas? Thanks.

Doug

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rules

Spiderman said:
Doug-
This is off topic, I know you are getting ready for the Fixed 508 and worried about heating up the rims too much. What about riding deep dish wheels which will sort of act as a heat sink and dissipate the heat. Is that a possibility?
The rules, designed with a "classic" or "retro" aspect to them, limit rim depth to 25 mm with 32 spokes minimum. Could get a little deeper, but then they'd be heavier, too, and I'm looking for as little weight to haul up 35,000 feet of climbing with a 65 inch gear.

The rules:

F. Fixed Gear - Classic Division: Bikes must use the same fixed gearing (ring/cog) for the entire event. Bike frames shall be steel, traditional double diamond design (forks are unrestricted) and wheels (maximum 25 mm rim depth) with 32 spokes minimum. Aerobar/Spinaci attachments and aero-designed parts are prohibited. Wheel switches are permitted only for wheel failures, and must be identical or essentially identical to the failed wheel. Bike switches are not permitted. Riders may not coast with feet off the pedals. Riders must declare their gear (ring/cog) choice at check in, which may not be changed thereafter.

Fixed gear division riders may abandon that division and switch to a multispeed bike in the "open" division, then complete the race on the multispeed bike, provided that they or their crew notifies an official as soon as possible; they will then be treated as having ridden the event up to that point on the multispeed bike.

http://the508.com/intelligence/rules.html

Thanks.

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
not following

Pierre said:
Ask Chris Kostman about deep dish stuff, I bet this is not really forbidden. "no aero designed parts" ??? I know for a fact that a team was using disk wheels this year. The guy riding it told me he gained 1mph with it.

And 32 spokes ? I bet not even half of the racers had that. Specially now that everybody likes to ride on the Ksyriums. Should have checked on that, it would have kept me occupied :)

Pierre
Rim depth is limited to 25mm - not deep.

I used a Cervelo P3 with disc and 404 up front in the team, and some aero parts in the solo, too. These are different rules, though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.