Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
DougSloan said:
Anyone know the characteristics of cork brake pads? Is the purpose to withstand higher heat without melting, compared to rubber?

I have a set of Corima cork pads that I originally got for some Velomax Ascent Pro carbon wheels. The pads, combined with the uncoated (no ceramic) rims worked like total crap.

Anyone use cork pads on aluminum rims (like Open Pros)? I'm thinking that for the rear, where you don't really need or want strong braking, using cork as a sort of "drag brake" down long descents (fixed gear) might be ideal, if the properties of cork lend themselves to sustained braking, but not necessarily strong braking. Any ideas? Thanks.

Doug
Well, it looks like the cork issue has been discussed enough, so I'll only add the new Koolstop/Zipp carbon/carbon pads. They're made more like a "normal" pad, but will conduct heat from the rim to the caliper better than a standard pad. Supposed to be great on aluminum rims, too, and should slow rim heating as the caliper is a fairly large heat sink. I'm 99% sure the Koolstop pads are the same as the Zipp's, just less $. I know both are made by KS, but the KS package doesn't specify the additives.

Anywho, for less powerful braking, why not use a single-pivot sidepull? From what I've read, they don't apply as much force to the rim per increment of lever pull. Of course, they're lighter, too, so wouldn't have as much thermal mass.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.