Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my first road bike. After spending considerable time trying different frames and different sizes I settled on a Trek 5200. I went through the "trainer experience" of checking knee alignment to spindle, toe distance from tire when wheel is turned just so, eye alignment with front hub when on the hoods, etc. Everything supposedly "fits" and feels fine for awhile. But eventually I always feel like I'm "reaching" for the hoods. My weight tends to push forward into them, versus down on them if that makes sense. I switched from a 120 mm stem to a 110, and it made a little bit of a difference. Is this an issue that eventually works out just by riding more, hence strenthening the forearms and wrists to accomodate the riding position? Any insight or anecdotal advice is appreciated.

·
Still On Steel
2,396 Posts
It's quite common for someone new to road bikes to feel like they're unusually stretched out, until they become accustomed to the riding position.

"My weight tends to push forward into them" might indicate that your saddle is tilted a little nose-down ... you're sliding forward, requiring you to hold your weight back with your hands. Try checking the saddle with a torpedo level, to make sure the nose isn't too low. Some saddles will fool you visually: they look like they're level when they're actually a bit nose-down.

If the saddle checks out okay, it's probably just the newness of the position.

·
Banned
6,492 Posts
Oh, good--my pet peeve.

I'm constantly surprised at how hard cyclists cling to the notion that there's one ideal position for everybody. In modern times, that's the classic racer set-up, butt high, bars low, stretched out, often on a frame that's slightly too small and geared too high. I rode that way for more than 20 years and never did get completely comfortable, but I stuck with it because it was "right."
When I bought my Atlantis, I set it up the way Rivendell recommended, and I was immediately more comfortable than I'd ever been on a bike. There was probably some slight, possibly theoretical loss of efficiency, but since I could stay on the bike 50 percent longer, I got fitter. I set a PR for one of my mid-range loops (35 miles) at either 58 or 59 years old, and I've been riding that route since I was 34.
Give the new position a chance, but don't be afraid to change it. Discomfort doesn't necessarily mean you're not working hard enough or you're not flexible or tough enough. Sometimes it just means that what fits a pro rider who trains six hours a day and has 10 percent body fat doesn't fit you.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Work on doing some crunches and "superman" (laying on you stomach and lifting your legs and arms, it strengthens your back). This will not help you in the reach department, but if you have a strong core then you aren't putting as much pressure on your hands.

Think about it, your upper body is leaning forward past your hips. You are either holding that weight up with your arms or you are supporting the weight with your core (abs and back).

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
It is funny but on my recovery rides I always feel that my setup is a little too aggressive and the weight distribution on my hands is a tad too much. But then on my normal training rides that feeling disapears as I hammer hard and ride more aggressively. At times I even feel like I should lower my bars. Nothing makes you appreciate a layed out position like a strong head wind. :)

So I agree with Cory, your setup should reflect how you ride.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the same experience with my set up when I got my road bike. I was feeling a bit stretched... i would look around at the other roadies and see how relaxed they looked and i was all tight/tense on the hoods and feeling stretched out. Then after riding for a while my body got used to the position and now my arms are relaxed and I don't have a deathgrip on the hoods anymore. and actually i'm finding that i'm riding the drops more now than when I started.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.