Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Honey Smack!
7,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Were do you wear your kneck tie when you have to wear one?

Coworker usually has the point of his end at least 1 inch above his belt. He's also decently tall and it just looks awkward to me.

I personally like for the point of my tie to be in the top half of my buckle when standing up.

What say you?

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
I hate ties, and only wear one to church at Christmas. Button jacket and length doesn't matter.

john

·
Honey Smack!
7,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jmlapoint said:
I hate ties, and only wear one to church at Christmas. Button jacket and length doesn't matter.

john

Why? With a correct fitting shirt the collar isn't remotely uncomfortable. I actually don't mind wearing a shirt and tie.

·
Darling of The Lounge
4,751 Posts
When in doubt, the USMC uniform regulation states the following:

The necktie will be tied so that the tip of the bottom of the tie is between 1/2-inches above the belt buckle and 1/2-inches below the belt buckle.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Clothing sales person here.
The generally accepted "ideal" length makes the tie hit somewhere within your belt buckle. I think any longer (over an inch) looks ridiculous and shorter can work depending on the width of the tie.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,883 Posts
I feel roughly the same way about ties that I do about top hats: I don't own one, and the whole notion seems vaguely antiquated, but if ya wanna wear one, go right ahead.

·
Le Misérable
4,374 Posts
Back when I paid attention to these things, the 'correct' length changed from year to year, just like the width of the tie, width of lapels, 2 or 3 buttons on the jacket, cuffs or not on the pants, slit in the back of the jacket or no, etc...but I don't think it was EVER ok to have the tie more than a centimeter or so above the belt buckle. That just looks bad.

Now, the once or twice a year that I get to wear one I aim for the middle of the belt buckle, as that's about the average and unlikely to shock.

Yep, I miss it a little: in France a tie is like a uniform for certain professions and that's about it, and I'm not a banker, insurance guy, car salesman, funeral professional or corporate executive.

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
Ibashii said:
Yep, I miss it a little: in France a tie is like a uniform for certain professions and that's about it, and I'm not a banker, insurance guy, car salesman, funeral professional or corporate executive.
In a way here too, and we went from business casual in only the summer to year-round a few years ago. That's a really nice "benefit" I'd say...

The notion that a tie makes someone look like a distinguished professional is completely false IME; it's very possible to look shabby in a shirt and tie and that looks worse to me than a shabby interpretation of business casual.

·
Le Misérable
4,374 Posts
kykr13 said:
In a way here too, and we went from business casual in only the summer to year-round a few years ago. That's a really nice "benefit" I'd say...

The notion that a tie makes someone look like a distinguished professional is completely false IME; it's very possible to look shabby in a shirt and tie and that looks worse to me than a shabby interpretation of business casual.
Word: I think the tie dies a little every time someone puts one on just because he has to, with no thought put into it. Maybe that's why it's not "cool" anymore??

When I was in Portland in the 90s the rumor was that ties were banned at the main Intel facility west of town; they allegedly made visitors check their ties at the door. I was never able to prove or disprove this legend.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Sylint said:
I personally like for the point of my tie to be in the top half of my buckle when standing up. What say you?
That say me.

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
kykr13 said:

I went "business casual" about 10 years ago. Now, I still have to wear a suit and tie when I go to court and meet with clients. But, the courts in which I usually practice do most things by written submissions without a lot of in person hearings and most of my clients are out of town and my dealing with them largely are by email and phone

I don't find a tie to be uncomfortable. I wore one to school from through high school and wore one to work for more than a decade. But, that being said, I don't wear one unless I have to do so. I also hate cheap ties. However, there is a direct correlation between the price of a tie and the likelihood that I will get a stain on it within the first few times I wear it.

Oh, and to answer the original question: I think that the USMC reg is about right.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,886 Posts
as long as the feet still reach the ground the noose is not too short

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
Ibashii said:
Maybe that's why it's not "cool" anymore?
That might be just a symptom. Ugly ties that don't match anything that a person is wearing, "novelty" ties (an adult coirker was very proud of his Scooby Doo tie) and an overall unkempt look while wearing one contributed to the downfall.

Not that I looked forward to putting one on to go into the office every day, but a bit of formality isn't always a bad thing.

·
Le Misérable
4,374 Posts
MarkS said:
I went "business casual" about 10 years ago. Now, I still have to wear a suit and tie when I go to court and meet with clients. But, the courts in which I usually practice do most things by written submissions without a lot of in person hearings and most of my clients are out of town and my dealing with them largely are by email and phone

I don't find a tie to be uncomfortable. I wore one to school from through high school and wore one to work for more than a decade. But, that being said, I don't wear one unless I have to do so. I also hate cheap ties. However, there is a direct correlation between the price of a tie and the likelihood that I will get a stain on it within the first few times I wear it.

Oh, and to answer the original question: I think that the USMC reg is about right.
If you were French you'd have to wear this to court:

1 - 20 of 65 Posts