Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to learn what it means that currently in an untrained state my HR and breathing is up to normal levels although power has dropped of big time.

In a completely never trained state (four years ago) I could easily out pedal my heart rate, and it was difficult to keep my heart rate up above 125. My max HR was 166.

A couple years down the road and I was in much better shape, easily holding 145-155 for two hours and my max HR was 180'ish.

For the last year I have basically not trained. Went for a ride today and I noticed that I had no problem with my HR or breathing up to about 160, but that my power was gone, goodbye, waay down.

I averaged about 15 mph on a 15 mile loop that used to take me 45min. No wind no stop lights, just be being slow as a snail with a bad hip.

What does it mean that my HR and breathing "feel" okay but I cannot make any power?

Thanks

·
Cycling Coach
1,734 Posts
Max heart rate also doesn't change with training.
Max HR can change a little as fitness improves, typically dropping a few beats as the heart muscle itself changes size and stroke volume get larger.

What does it mean that my HR and breathing "feel" okay but I cannot make any power?
It just means you are unfit.

Note that heart rate is not a measure of fitness. It is one indicator of intensity of effort, helpful but with limitations and where/when it us useful.

If you are measuring power, then HR is redundant (unless you have some medical reason for needing it). Power is a measure of fitness, so focus on improving that through training.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Its the old use it or lose it saying in action.

Your legs and heart are two completely separate muscles and at this point they are not working together, no different than doing an exercise you have not done in some time.

With repetition they will get in sink and your muscles will get stronger based on that movement. Your body will also anticipate the exercise and be ready to go so it will feel easier at a greater output.

I know for me at the beginning my heart and legs yo yo until they catch up to each other then Im good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.