Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have discovered pitting on my Cinelli aluminium handlebars due to corrosion at the point where the shifters are bolted on. My initial thought it to dump them, but a Google image search (broken + handlebar) indicates that failure is always at the stem.

Should I still dump them?

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
kiwi_1234 said:
Google image search (broken + handlebar) indicates that failure is always at the stem.
FWIW I have seen bars break in the hook, but aside from that, would you seriously conclude that bars "always" break at the stem based on a Google image search? :yikes:

·
Registered
832 Posts
I agree with the "get new ones" crew. Get your prybar and leverage the old, dusty wallet open...and you can be creative. Ever checked out randonneurs?

Have fun!

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
kiwi_1234 said:
I have discovered pitting on my Cinelli aluminium handlebars due to corrosion at the point where the shifters are bolted on. My initial thought it to dump them, but a Google image search (broken + handlebar) indicates that failure is always at the stem.

Should I still dump them?
I say clean them up and see how deep it goes. Aluminum is pretty resilient, and Aluminum Oxide is an excellent inhibitor of corrosion.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
CleavesF said:
I say clean them up and see how deep it goes. Aluminum is pretty resilient, and Aluminum Oxide is an excellent inhibitor of corrosion.
:thumbsup: +1

·
Registered
21,635 Posts
+2

CleavesF said:
My aluminum bars are pitted in a lot more places than just at the brake lever clamp. I just clean them up for a few seasons and finally pitch them when the ends of the bars are fluted with thinning. Unless you're riding hyperlight Al bars, it's not a big concern.

·
road bike resurrector
302 Posts
My aluminum Cinellis are the original Ciocc factory-equipped bars, and I am absolutely amazed at how well they were preserved for being left outside most of its life. I had to re-wrap when I installed my Ultegra shifters and they looked spanking new sans sticky residue from the old tape. Even the stem looks good.

I'd say clean them up see how low it goes, could be just surface corrosion that 160 or 200 grit sandpaper could take off.

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
My Cinelli Bars have been going strong since mid-70's.
I get a little salt/sweat corrosion under the tape, but just buff it with steel wool and 200-400 carbon sandpaper.
I certainly wouldn't pitch a set of Cinelli Bars unless the corrosion was deep and pitted.
Aluminum is pretty forgiving in my opinion.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts