Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just acquired this one, a 1985 corsa extra panasonic color, in good to excellent condition:

Argh! Forgot to close the brake release on the right lever...

·
my bike's underpowered
440 Posts
Congratulations!

The Panasonic is my fav. I've been waiting for the right 53cm to become available to replace the one that got stolen 15 years ago.

Outstanding.

·
Registered
192 Posts
zmudshark said:
Beautiful bike, great pictures. The blue spoke nipples are just enough without going overboard.
Good eye for detail! :thumbsup: I had noticed the brake lever being open, but not the spoke nipples.

And congratulations Jan, that's a beautiful bike - very classy!

G

·
I sat here looking at those pictures trying to figure out how on earth anyone made out blue nipples in those ......

then I turned up the brightness on my monitor. "Hey Look, blue ....."

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Windermere said:
I sat here looking at those pictures trying to figure out how on earth anyone made out blue nipples in those ......

then I turned up the brightness on my monitor. "Hey Look, blue ....."
It helps that I saw the bike in person, too!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Love that frame color job! Just beautiful. Have you thought about white hb tape? Maybe even white saddle?

I miss the red CEx that I sold last fall to make room for my Serotta.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
tv_vt said:
Have you thought about white hb tape? Maybe even white saddle?
Here you go, for your viewing pleasure, via that ubiquitous graphics software. This is probably as close as the Merckx will get to white bar tape and saddle. Until someone tells me how to keep the white cork clean, and where I can find a white Brooks..

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Jan,

White cork cleans up nicely with a little Dawn and a fingernail brush. I'd do a white Regal instead of a Brooks, but that's me.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Today was unseasonably mild, with temps in high forties. Took the Corsa Extra out on its inaugural ride, finding wet pavement, some slush and brilliant sunshine. Not bad for around here at this time of the year.

Getting a longer seat post tomorrow, but couldn't wait. Raised the Chorus one 2 cm above the mark and found the tallest saddle in the shop, an old Ideale. With that I managed the required 83cm.

So how is it? Success!! Stiff and fast, stable and predictable. Very comfortable riding position, even though the frame is 4cm shorter than the previously accepted ideal. The Chorus group shifts and brakes flawlessly, even when wet and crusted with road grime.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
I don't think there were Corsas

in 1985
would be a Professional, I have an 86
your fork looks newer than 1985 as does the paint job

really b!tchin' bike, I'm not slagging at all. Just seems later 80s early 90s

Merckx didn't sponsor Panasonic until 86 if memory serves me right.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
My favorite Merckx color scheme. That's a keeper. If I ever come across one in my size (57-58, I will be seriously tempted.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts