Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
thanks, that gives me a little insight on my bike. I have an 85 Professional 753. So the Professional model must predate the Corsa? Do you think the Corsa model replaced it? I can find very little on the Professional.
atpjunkie said:
in 1985
would be a Professional, I have an 86
your fork looks newer than 1985 as does the paint job

really b!tchin' bike, I'm not slagging at all. Just seems later 80s early 90s

Merckx didn't sponsor Panasonic until 86 if memory serves me right.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
I've seen the bike in person, and if the serial number dating can be believed, it is a 1985. My wife and I both have 1985 Professionals, with different style lettering. Mine is the rounded style, her's the slanted style.

Both have this style fork.

There are other 1985 Corsa Extra's in Panasonic livery on the cadre site.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Just a quick question...did you shorten the chain from the initial pics??

As it looked a little long at first, but better in the snow pic.

Awesome bike!!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
No, the chain is like when I got it. I'm waiting for a 13-26 cassette to replace the 12-23 on there, so I'll fine tune things by then. It works fine, though, as is.

The only thing different so far is a Thomson Elite post in 250mm to get the saddle up 2cm more, while keeping the titanium sadle.

The paint on the chromed bottom bracket shell is peeling off fast, like egg shells. Will have to stop it with some roughing up and primer before it migrates up the seat tube. Then hunt for an off-white metallic top coat with a reasonable match.

This is not a garage queen, so I'm not too concerned. I've always found well used bikes with smooth workings more attractive than dusty, stiff display specimens.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
jan_nikolajsen said:
The paint on the chromed bottom bracket shell is peeling off fast, like egg shells. Will have to stop it with some roughing up and primer before it migrates up the seat tube. Then hunt for an off-white metallic top coat with a reasonable match.

i am pretty sure zMud spilled his beer on the BB when he had it, I would get him to pay for the paint.:rolleyes5:

·
Registered
323 Posts
jan_nikolajsen said:
just acquired this one, a 1985 corsa extra panasonic color, in good to excellent condition:

Oh wow, my long lost twin.

·
Registered
323 Posts
ksanbon said:
Oh wow, my long lost twin.

Steelblue,
Is that a 53? If so, can I have it when you get tired of it?
Yep, it's a 53 and you need to take a number. There are several people ahead of you in line. :)

·
Registered
323 Posts
barry1021 said:
Even the helmet matches perfectly...sweet rig.

b21
Thanks. Notice the blue tires and pedals too..:lol: Recently, I put the original C-Record crank back on.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hey Jan and Steelblue,

I have the same too. I have checked with the Merckx factory (easy for me since I'm Belgian and live close) and I can confirm that this is a '86 color scheme. Check the attached pics of Erik Breukink in '86. It was also on this type of bike that Erik Vanderaerden won Paris-Roubaix in '87 :thumbsup:

In '85 Team Panasonic was sponsored by Raleigh bikes. '86 and '87 is was Merckx ... and in '88 they changed to Colnago.

I absolutel love my Panasonic Merckx! I took it on the Koppenberg and Patersberg (both 20% steep cobstone climbs) this weekend and it worked amazingly :)

I have a question though: how did you guys mount the 2nd canholder on the seat-tube? On my frame the holes have no screwthread, and the canholder keeps comming loose from vibrations....

@Jan: I can highly recommend a white San Marco Rolls if you're after a white saddle to match this bike

Glad to see fellow team Panasonic riders :)

cheers,

21 - 40 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.