Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· merckxman
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I live in Verona, Italy having moved here after I retired from corporate life in the USA. The cycling club I'm a member of had a tour of Corsica on the agenda for the first week in June so off I went.

We departed from Verona to catch a ferry at Livorno; there is quite an extensive system of ferries serving Corsica and Sardinia from different ports in Italy and France. We arrived on a Sunday afternoon in Bastia which is on the northeast coast of Corsica, rode Monday through Friday, and departed Bastia on Saturday morning.

The ride was counter-clockwise around the island. 450 miles in 5 days with lots of climbing; it was very challenging. We went to the northern tip of Corsica on Cap Corse all the way around to Bonifacio, and then back up the east coast.

Corsica is very beautiful, especially the west coast. Best to let the photos tell some of the story. The nighttime city photo is in Bastia. Camera is a Cannon SD500; the pictures have been decreased in size so the quality is reduced somewhat.

One of the highlights of the trip was the daily setting up for lunch out of the club van. This included: setting up tables and benches, table cloths, making fresh salads, making pasta for 17 people, salumi, cheese, wine, bread, dessert, and of course espresso. Everyday! Italians know how to really enjoy themselves.

Last photo is me.

Ciao from Italy.

· merckxman
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Impatient and aggressive drivers

Yes, there were more than I would have liked....

plodderslusk said:
Nice pics ! I was there for a few days last september but found the cars a bit too aggressive for my tastes. Better planning (only smaller roads) next time. Loved the views, the water and the rustic people.

· Big is relative
11,901 Posts
Does your bike club have a website? I will try to hook up with a local group when I move to Sardinia, but don't know where to start other than a bike shop. I am sure that I can find a group on the weekend.

this should be moved to commuting and touring.

· merckxman
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Clubs

The club I belong to does not have a website.

I think the best thing to do is to visit some bike shops when you arrive in Sardinia and hook up with available clubs and see which one you like. Just about every bike shop sponsors a club.
Keep in mind that the club situation in Italy is different than USA. Whereas in the USA you can typically belong to several clubs in Italy you join only one as through club membership you receive a license, insurance, etc. (even if it is not a racing club ). So, choose one that has a program along your interests (some focus on granfondos, some race, some tour, etc.)

From Bonifacio, at the southern tip of Corsica, you can see Sardinia so it will be an easy trip for you to ride in Corsica, and Italy, etc. The ferries are very nice, and you can even take your car on them.

bigbill said:
Does your bike club have a website? I will try to hook up with a local group when I move to Sardinia, but don't know where to start other than a bike shop. I am sure that I can find a group on the weekend.

this should be moved to commuting and touring.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.