Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Misfit Toy
23,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, how long is it supposed to take for this stuff to work? I'm getting very impatient.

I'm going to a wedding tomorrow, champagne will cure everything...:D

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
when ortho doc did my knee a couple weeks ago, it was literally "get up from the table and walk normally"

but, he also drained about a gallon of fluid at the same time

·
Registered
108 Posts
Depending on what was injected, (many think it's cortisone, but docs don't get into specifics and sometimes don't tell you exactly what the mix is, because most people don't care. Some are shorter vs longer acting steroids). If he/she put a local anesthetic in the mixture, which is a common practice, then it kicks in immediately but only lasts a few hours.
The cortisone itself takes several days before it kicks in. Usually 2-3 days, but sometimes as long as 5-7 days down the road before it works on bringing the inflammation and pain down.
Any ways, be patient, it takes some time. Plus if it was not in a large joint, like the knee, he/she may have missed, which happens more often than you think. Good thing is, usually at least some of the steroid leaches into where it was intended to go if it was close.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,921 Posts
BentChainring said:
Exactly.

Whats the yellow thing in your avatar?
Bent, Bent, Bent.......it's a spider eating peep

·
I like Chicken
1,403 Posts
They told me a few days when I got mine in my hip.
I never felt it get better. Sorry.

·
Misfit Toy
23,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BentChainring said:
Exactly.

Whats the yellow thing in your avatar?
A Peep!!

·
Misfit Toy
23,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All right, I'll be patient. I start physical therapy again next Friday -- I'm going to see the same PT I worked with after my surgery. Let's hope she's good with shoulders too.

Do vodka martinis and champage mix?

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
snapdragen said:
Do vodka martinis and champage mix?
Why don't you try it out and let us know? Pictures would greatly help to convey the story better too. :ihih:

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
My only experience is with cortisone injection in my shoulder for painful Impingement.
The local anesthetic (lidocaine/marcaine) made my shoulder fell great right away.
That wore off and the anti-inflammatory effect of the cortisone kicked in about 48 hours later and lasted about 6 weeks.
I subsequently had an arthroscopic subacromial decompression (SAD) with no rotator cuff tear, and 3 weeks later I was back on the bike riding with no pain. Wish I had done it sooner. I took a lot of Motrin and was awake many nights with the pain. Both are gone now; the Motrin and the night pain.

·
Misfit Toy
23,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
jml - can you describe what your shoulder felt like? Mine is kind of a dull pain, level 2-3, but it shoots up to an 8-9 if I move or do something the wrong way. I describe it as nausea inducing pain.

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
snapdragen said:
jml - can you describe what your shoulder felt like? Mine is kind of a dull pain, level 2-3, but it shoots up to an 8-9 if I move or do something the wrong way. I describe it as nausea inducing pain.
Hey Snapdragen:
The pain I was having was around the ball of my right shoulder and was 2-3 when arm was at my side, but really killed me when I tried to lift something or reach overhead. Miserable to put on a jacket or sweater. Pain woke me at night. The doc said I had a bone spur on the Acromion, and if the shot worked but didn't last then it was diagnostic that shaving off the spur would help, and it did.
Good luck to you.
John

·
Misfit Toy
23,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the info John, sounds really similar to what is going on with me right now. Ratz.

·
The Cube
1,113 Posts
max effect in 2-3 weeks. if it works earlier than that, it just means it was all you needed. after 3 weeks, what pain is there was not alterd by the shot, up until then, there's hope.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts