Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered this Corum from Como in January and just received a few days ago.
Really didn't like the stock color choices of Blue or White. Many of you have those really cool vintage De Rosa's in Red that I had to go with it. It took about 6-7 weeks total.

I debated over a 57 traditional and a 52 slope, and went w/the slope. Like many I am in search of a vintage steel De Rosa 57/58 to fully restore. For now I had to settle for a modern steel project. I plan on this being my main ride this year, this is my first steel frame ever. Waiting on a few parts to build up w/a mix of Chorus/Record 11.

From what I can gather the frame is made from dedaccia 16.5? There is no branding on the frame identifying the material so I really don't know. Hopefully I will have this built in the next couple weeks, stay tuned.
 
G

·
I know they use Dedacciai tubing.

16.5 is the top of the heap for Deda so that would make sense.

Lovely bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,929 Posts
Nice combo of traditional and modern look. Now I am the only one in the thread so far that doesn't have a red(ish) De Rosa. Poor poor pitiful me.

b21
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,649 Posts
barry1021 said:
Nice combo of traditional and modern look. Now I am the only one in the thread so far that doesn't have a red(ish) De Rosa. Poor poor pitiful me.

b21
You have a (partly) red Strong, poor you.
 
G

·
barry1021 said:
Nice combo of traditional and modern look. Now I am the only one in the thread so far that doesn't have a red(ish) De Rosa. Poor poor pitiful me.

b21
Well, yes.

Pitiful, right enough.

However, not because you don't have a red De Rosa.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Como is great to deal with.

I've purchased two frames and numerous other items, they are a great online supplier.
They use UPS for US delivery so you do pay brokerage fees for frames. Overall very professional, delivery takes about a week. They must be near the De Rosa factory because they get frames that De Rosa has in stock in about a day. They provide tracking numbers and respond to emails very quickly. I saved $1,800 on my King 3 over U.S. options, about $800 on the Corum. I don't think I would have been able to get the red paint on the Corum from a US distributor. They quoted me 50 days to get the Corum in a special color and I had the frame in less than that. They asked for a 20% deposit to order the frame from DeRosa. Highly recomended. I have registered both frames for warranty on De Rosa's website. If I was to have a warranty claim I would ship the frame back to Como and feel very comfortable to have them handle any claim.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Great, thanks! I corresponded with them a bit and they gave me great quotes on the Corum and Neo Primato, and seemed very helpful. I was a bit worried about brokerage fees, how bad was it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Brokerage fees

Not sure that is technically what I paid, perhaps duty or a combination of the two. ?
The King 3 was approximately $135, the Corum was only $70. I included these costs and shipping with my savings estimated above.
Backcountry.com had some good prices on Neo Primato, I think about $1,300-$1,400 in the dark blue only.
Good Luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
mriddle-thanks again... That's not too bad at all, though I've heard UPS can vary greatly with these charges.

And yes, backcountry had a decent deal on the Neo Primatos, though I ride a 58-59 and unfortunately I missed the larger sizes. The prices from Como are pretty close though.

Now, Corum or Neo Primato? Anyone have both?
 
G

·
es13 said:
mriddle-thanks again... That's not too bad at all, though I've heard UPS can vary greatly with these charges.

And yes, backcountry had a decent deal on the Neo Primatos, though I ride a 58-59 and unfortunately I missed the larger sizes. The prices from Como are pretty close though.

Now, Corum or Neo Primato? Anyone have both?
Style and fork choice.

Neo Primato - steel frame, lugged, level top tube and steel fork.

Corum - Slightly sloping top tube, tig welded frame, carbon fork.

They will both ride like a dream - do you want the traditional De Rosa look and feel, or do you want a more modern look and the lighter weight that goes along with the carbon fork?

Personally, I would be choosing the Neo Primato, but that's me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Comobike.com

All of my communication is via email. Fabio Scott is the contact that responds to all emails, he is very efficient and professional.
You can get the Corum in a traditional frame geometry as well as sloping.
Recently I was traveling for business in Austin, TX and visited Mellow Johnny's, they had a Neo Pro in the KAS color scheme. The frame/paint was incredible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
toomanybikes said:
Style and fork choice.

Neo Primato - steel frame, lugged, level top tube and steel fork.

Corum - Slightly sloping top tube, tig welded frame, carbon fork.

They will both ride like a dream - do you want the traditional De Rosa look and feel, or do you want a more modern look and the lighter weight that goes along with the carbon fork?

Personally, I would be choosing the Neo Primato, but that's me.
I love the look of both frames, but am probably a little partial to the Neo Primato. Though mriddles corum might change my mind. I'm also not worried about the extra weight of the Neo Primato. I'm 6'/200lbs so the extra quarter pound on the NP won't bother me, though a flexy bb probably would.
 
1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Top