Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, this isn't going to be an exciting thread at all. I am an accountant, and my mind is wrapped up in numbers this time of year.

So, does anyone know anything about the title of this topic? What would a good, high-quality website with downloadable movies and the like cost? Seems like this stuff pops up everyday on the web, so there must be some money changing hands somewhere. Billions of bucks per year are generated by the adult entertainment industry, yet no one "looks at that stuff". Give me a break. We're all adults here. Well, maybe not.

What I am looking for is dollars and sense. What are the issues with opening up a site like this? What are the set-up costs and the regular maintenance costs?
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,639 Posts
dunno...I always just look at the free previews and then clear my cache and history afterwards. ;0

// porn made the web what it is today.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
.Perhaps my query is mis-understood....

How much does it cost to RUN an adult website? I know how much they cost to subscribe to...I'm a married man. However, I am also a business-man.....
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,639 Posts
ashpelham said:
.Perhaps my query is mis-understood....

How much does it cost to RUN an adult website? I know how much they cost to subscribe to...I'm a married man. However, I am also a business-man.....
depends...if you can do it all yourself then just the cost of hosting. If not you probably need a sysadmin, web designer, graphic artist, billing people--then you have hardware costs, software costs, media/advertising costs, paying for the porn you distribute. I imagine it could get fairly expensive.

Low end? Guessing 5,000/yr if you do it all yourself. High end? 6 figures plus.

Web desiger probably gets 60-70k/yr--you may need more than 1 for a large site. Same for graphics person, A good sysadmin might ask 6 figures. etc. etc.
 

·
gazing from the shadows
Joined
·
27,224 Posts
Normal cost of doing e-business.

Higher bandwidth costs.

Higher denied charges to credit cards.

Higher legal costs.

Higher content costs. You would need to buy content to get started, then ongoing new content.
 

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
Joined
·
21,050 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
dunno...I always just look at the free previews and then clear my cache and history afterwards. ;0

// porn made the web what it is today.

// the web mad porn what it is today.
 

·
I'm not like anyone else
Joined
·
1,796 Posts
dr hoo said:
Normal cost of doing e-business.

Higher bandwidth costs.

Higher denied charges to credit cards.

Higher legal costs.

Higher content costs. You would need to buy content to get started, then ongoing new content.
Yep!!!

Keep the $$$, go for Playboy and the quiet of your own private room... more bang for your bucks!
 

·
jaded bitter joy crusher
Joined
·
19,723 Posts
I dunno. My idea of a premium adult web site is something like www.nybooks.com. Porn is for kiddies, adults want something good to read.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top