Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
N. Hollywood, CA
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pretty good relationship with my LBS. They support many community events, and over they frequently discount the MSRP on parts and such. I don't want to do them wrong.

So here's the issue. My wife and I picked out a compact crank for her bike, a Ritchey anodized black, and had the LBS order it special from QBP. But now we discovered a relatively new offering - the IRD Impala compact crank - in her much preferred polished style (no black). If I ask my LBS to return the first crank, will they only be "out" the cost of shipping, or are they stuck with the crank? Can I offer to cover the out and return shipping cost, or am I just being selfish and should I just accept what they went out of their way to get for me?

I'm not intending to start any sort of flame session here. They've been courteous to me, and I'd like to return the favor, but also ideally get my wife what will make her happiest. Thanks for any advice...

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
ispoke said:
If I ask my LBS to return the first crank, will they only be "out" the cost of shipping, or are they stuck with the crank? Can I offer to cover the out and return shipping cost, or am I just being selfish and should I just accept what they went out of their way to get for me?
Assuming the crank is a normal size, say a 170-175, the shop will likely just put it back into inventory and try to sell it. If it's an unusual size, say a 162.5, they may decide to send it back, in which case, get ready to pay a 15% restocking fee. Tell them it's your wife's choice and they shouldn't give you too much grief except for the sound of a whip cracking.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
It may be a "special" order for you but for the LBS and QBP it's a common item. The shop will likely just keep it and hope to find a buyer and it may eventually wind up sold for cost, or not.

I like Deda handlebar tape and my LBS stopped stocking it last year. I had them order me some and mentioned a new MTB bar that Titec was making called the H-bar. It's similar to a Jones bar (in fact designed and licensed from Jones) and is pretty unique. I doubt too many people would buy it. It was in the QBP catalog but I don't think it's available yet. The owner said he would order one and see if it was available. I told him I didn't mean I was interested in buying one but he said why not have one on hand. I think he's looking down the road at a possible sale because I might be interested. He also knows I'd need a new stem because it comes in 31.8 only. This is a long way of saying he will probably be able to sell this common (and popular) style of crank so don't sweat it.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
Here are QBP's Terms....the dealer is another matter. Depending on how much they buy from QBP they probably didn't pay any extra shipping. If they ordered your item by itself they did pay shipping. Basically depending on the day ordered and $$ figure and weight of the items QBP won't charge.

policy

All items being returned after 30 days of the invoice date are subject to either a $5.00 per line or a 15% restock fee.
All items being returned not in their original packaging are subject to either a $5.00 per line or a 15% restock fee.
If the item is purchased more than 6 months from invoice date, it may not be returned to QBP.
All items being returned are subjected to the final approval of Quality Bicycle Products.
If an item being returned has not been approved after QBP receives the product, the item will be sent back to the shop at the expense of the dealer.
Suspension returns under the 90-Day Perfromance Guarentee go through the Shock Treatment Center

1 - 4 of 4 Posts