Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im 6'1", and i can get a good deal on a 56cm CAAD 8 frame, can i get away with it without having too many fit problems

·
Registered
6 Posts
How many fit problems is too many? There are more deals on frames and bikes than you can shake a stick at. I'm 6'1" and ride a 58". Get a bike that fits and enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Yes, if you want to

I'm just over 6ft 3" and I'm perfectly comfortable on a 58cm (c to c). It depends on whether you like riding smaller frames, how flexible you are, and whether you like riding with a long stem/seat post. It's possible these days to get comfortable on just about any bike given the availability of long stems and seat posts, which hasn't always been the case. I say go for it.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
You can make it work, but maybe not a good idea

I'm 6'4", and I rode 62cm frames for years, because that's the biggest size many companies make and the biggest most shops stock. I let them talk me into it with the old "We'll put on a longer seat post" gag. I thought I was SUPPOSED to be in pain on a bike.
When I bought my Atlantis, I followed Rivendell's sizing guide, which put me on a 65. They didn't make them then (they do now), so I ordered a 64. I was immediately more comfortable than I've been on a bike in 20 years. It increased my no-pain saddle time by 50 percent, and within a few months I set some personal records on longer rides--at age 58.
Unless you're positive you can make this thing work, I'd say don't do it. The money you may save, if you don't eat it up on extra parts trying to make the bike fit, isn't worth the hassle.

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,746 Posts
hambinator said:
Im 6'1", and i can get a good deal on a 56cm CAAD 8 frame, can i get away with it without having too many fit problems

Sounds like a risky proposition. You'll probably have to jack the saddle way up (hope your seatpost is long enough) and buy a new stem to avoid a 4 inch drop to the bars. Speaking of bars, the stock bars on a 56" Cannondale are probably a 42 or 44, and you may very well need wider bars.

It has been a few years since I rode a Cannondale, but mine was a 54 and I'm only 5'7" (female). Back then they were measuring C-T, don't know if that has changed.

If you can't test ride, don't do it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, im gonna be using it to race on, so i want to be pretty low and aero. Would a 57cm be better? I also have longer legs and a shorter torso.

·
Genitive Declensioner
12,146 Posts
hambinator said:
Well, im gonna be using it to race on, so i want to be pretty low and aero. Would a 57cm be better? I also have longer legs and a shorter torso.
Probably not, I'm 5'11" but with 33" inseam and my 56 is a bit short but the 56 tt fits perfect so it works....unless your torso is really short it would seem that you would need
more than a 57.....

my .02

·
Registered
499 Posts
Just for comparison sake: I'm 5'10 with a 31" inseam and I ride a 56 (the 05 Six-13 I have has the same geometry as the Caad 8 frame). I could have gone up to a 58, but that would have left me a bit too stretched out.

·
Registered
352 Posts
This is really somewhat hilarious - asking for bikefit advice on a messageboard from people who have never seen you on a bike. If you have to ask here, it sounds like a risky proposition.

·
Registered
5,070 Posts
... you'll have to consider your torso and reach to get a better handle...

I'm an inch taller, but most of my height is in leggage... this coupled with knuckle dragging arms allows me to squeeze onto a 58cm 'Dale... but I generally ride a 60cm... depending on top tube length and stem combo (I run longer than average 130-140mm stems on most of my road machines and a whopping 177mm on one MTB).

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
for racing you want control as well

hambinator said:
Fit isn't just about comfort on a bike; it also affects how well you can control the bike, whether it feels squirrley when your going hard out of the saddle and being rock solid on fast descents. A marginal fit could make a difference in handling, which is important especially when racing.

·
Parlee fan!
747 Posts
It all depends..

hambinator said:
I'm also 6'1" and ride 56cm bikes with 115mm stems. I used to ride a 58cm cannondale. The bike shop I bought the cannondale from insisted that someone of my height rides a 58cm. So I bought the bike. Bad move. I felt quite streched out. I then went to another bike shop a few months later and got fitted by the owner. He said that it's true, most people my height would ride a 58. However, when he sized me, I was a better fit for a 56 due to a shorter torso.

I also ride a 54cm bike for racing crits. I guess it depends on your riding style. I found it more comfortable to ride a smaller bike on crits.

I would say, ride the bike. If it's just a frame, rid a 56 cannondale. See how it fits you. Good luck!

Ride safely,

Joe

·
Registered
141 Posts
i agree w/ other posts

hambinator said:
I'm 6'1.5" w/ 34"inseam and ride a 58cm Merckx. but Merckx geometry is diff from Cdale.

A 56 Merckx is simply too small for me.

You do NOT want a bike that is too small - or 2 big. FWIW, go get a fit @ a bike shop and then decide. A good fit costs $75-100 and will have you dialed in right!

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
hambinator said:

FWIW I sell and fit C-dales. I think the 56 may be a problem with the seat height to bar height disparity (low bars, high seat). I am 5'10" and have little longer inseam for my size (34) and ride the 56 comfortably. I had the luxury of setting up the 55 and riding it and though any "fit expert" would say the 55 fit it just didn't feel right. You owe it to yourself to ride all the possible sizes and like others have mentioned don't be shy about asking around to find a 57 Six13 just to test ride as it has the same geometry as Caad 8 but is shipped as a complete bike.

·
Home Brew User!
2,810 Posts
Should fit perfect

Buy it and if by chance it is too small I'll give you half of what you paid for it. ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm 6'1" and ride a 56 Fuji. I rode a 56 Cannondale once and though I have never ridden a 54, felt that in a Cannondale I would feel more comfortable on a 54.

What I'm getting at is: We have never seen you or you on a bike. Go ride it and if it is a good fit, buy it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts