Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
Bianchi Nuovo Alloro, Lemond Etape
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could Landa have grabbed it all, right out from under Froome, if Landa had decided to mutiny on Stage 18?

He is being loyal, but this is a tricky game: get your domestique on the podium, but not ahead of you!

Arguably, Landa has ridden harder mile for mile in this tour. That was what I thought of Porte in the similar role in 2015, and why I thought that choosing Porte as a long-shot TdF winner was not such a bad idea.

Like Porte, Landa likely will have a few interesting letters in the mailbox soon, with several zeros mentioned after a digit or two. He definitely can be a contender, but did he have it within reach this time?

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
It is possible he could have, although he did appear on his limit when they caught him today.
As for where Landa will be, the rumor is Movistar next year. Which in an interesting case if it happens. As long as Valverde comes back healthy (so far so good, but early, if all goes well he's back racing by late Feb/early March) you have 3 legitamate GC GT riders on your team. They could split the GTs up and give one to each, Valverde would get the Vuelta as that is his choice. The question then becomes between Landa and Quintana who is the number 2 rider.

·
Registered
12,061 Posts
It is possible he could have, although he did appear on his limit when they caught him today.
As for where Landa will be, the rumor is Movistar next year. Which in an interesting case if it happens. As long as Valverde comes back healthy (so far so good, but early, if all goes well he's back racing by late Feb/early March) you have 3 legitamate GC GT riders on your team. They could split the GTs up and give one to each, Valverde would get the Vuelta as that is his choice. The question then becomes between Landa and Quintana who is the number 2 rider.
and that would be the biggest reason to not pick movistar. just ending up with the leftovers. He can get those at sky as well.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
But we all know Valverde has that #1 spot at Movistar and that doesn't change until he retires, which still isn't happening anytime soon. The difference is at Movistar it doesn't mean their team leader is actually leading the team at the Tour as they have made a distinct difference between team leader and race leader being two different things.
My guess is either Landa or Quintana goes to the Giro the other one leads the Tour team and Valverde gets his beloved Vuelta.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Valverde is not #1 spot for any GT on that team imho. He is their #1 captain - because he is so amazing in the spring, and a loyal powerhouse SD in the summer. Maybe he will be towing Landa in July while Q goes for Giro again. (I imagine Domoulin goes for the 2018 Tour leaving the competition thin at the Giro for Quintana to easily take it)

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Valverde will have the Vuelta if he wants it. He has too much history he is chasing there for them not to give it to him. He is the team leader that team no matter what race they are at. They have started differentiating between team leader (Valverde) and race leader who can be someone else. But Valverde has the #1 spot on that team until he retires. The team has stated this.

·
Registered
12,061 Posts
But we all know Valverde has that #1 spot at Movistar and that doesn't change until he retires, which still isn't happening anytime soon. The difference is at Movistar it doesn't mean their team leader is actually leading the team at the Tour as they have made a distinct difference between team leader and race leader being two different things.
My guess is either Landa or Quintana goes to the Giro the other one leads the Tour team and Valverde gets his beloved Vuelta.
and landa would still end up with second pickings for support. Or even third.
He is already in that situation now so if he is changing for improvements in that regard he will be disappointed.

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
and landa would still end up with second pickings for support. Or even third.
He is already in that situation now so if he is changing for improvements in that regard he will be disappointed.
The same support team could easily ride both the Giro and the Vuelta without a problem. There's no conflict there. Even some of the TdF support guys could be ready by the Vuelta if they didn't ride the Giro. That being said, I hope his agent gets a lot of clarity in writing about what his role will be if he is going there and negotiates for the inclusion of an escape clause if the team doesn't hold up their end of the bargain.

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
I guess the only thing I can really say about who will do what on Movistar at this point, is that Valverde wasn't given the leadership role at the Vuelta last year even. Quintana won the race. He was given some freedom to attack, but he supported Quintana. This year/2018 he will be a year older and returning from serious injury. I think he gets leadership in the Ardennes, but I am not convinced about him getting anymore leadership opportunities in grand tours.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Vuelta_a_España

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
I guess the only thing I can really say about who will do what on Movistar at this point, is that Valverde wasn't given the leadership role at the Vuelta last year even. Quintana won the race. He was given some freedom to attack, but he supported Quintana. This year/2018 he will be a year older and returning from serious injury. I think he gets leadership in the Ardennes, but I am not convinced about him getting anymore leadership opportunities in grand tours.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Vuelta_a_España
Remember the Vuelta was his 3rd Grand Tour of the season. No one in their right mind can go after a win in his 3rd GT of the year. Valverde knew that going into to it. He was looking for a top 10 in the Vuelta for history's sake. He also said he also abandoned the Vuelta a couple of times during the race and the only that kept him going was the fans standing on the side of the road yelling for him and the riders form a bunch of teams riding with him talking to him. He's said he's never doing that again. I think they give him the Vuelta to chase his podium as long as he feels he can get it. He was also promised this year's Vuelta before last year even ended. I think that is part of why Quintana insisted on the Giro/Tour double this year. He know the Vuelta was Valverde's this now. Now the team has to scramble as their next option for leadership for a GT is Amador who has also ridden both the Giro and Tour. Most people are guesing Fernandez will get the leadership role at the Vuelta. Valverde has even said he would like to see Fernandez get that shot.
As for support Movistar can field strong teams for all three Grand Tours. However, you have to know how to use that support for it to show as a strong support team. Remember Movistar is by and large a team of climbers.

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,808 Posts
I wouldn't judge Landa as a realistic GC leader until we see how he sits after the time trial. I think improving this was one reason he went to Sky but he has along way to go. Landa has done a great job for Froome, but I think the golden teammate award should go to Kwiatkowski. That guy was out of his element in the mountains and buried himself day after day.

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
I wouldn't judge Landa as a realistic GC leader until we see how he sits after the time trial. I think improving this was one reason he went to Sky but he has along way to go. Landa has done a great job for Froome, but I think the golden teammate award should go to Kwiatkowski. That guy was out of his element in the mountains and buried himself day after day.
Golden Teammate award for Kwaito. I'm all in. He went inside out. Incredible freaking toughness. That guy is a beast.

·
Registered
463 Posts
After yesterday's stage 20 ITT, one of the commentators on SBS also mentioned Landa departing Sky and said, in effect, "good riddance -- he showed himself to be a poor teammate by not supporting Froome adequately." Not sure I agree with that, but perhaps Landa was trying to both support Froome and show he could be a legit TdF GC contender wherever he ends up next year.

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
After yesterday's stage 20 ITT, one of the commentators on SBS also mentioned Landa departing Sky and said, in effect, "good riddance -- he showed himself to be a poor teammate by not supporting Froome adequately." Not sure I agree with that, but perhaps Landa was trying to both support Froome and show he could be a legit TdF GC contender wherever he ends up next year.
Interestimg point, he could be racing for raising his value. That TT yesterday was worth serious cash in his negotiations I'm sure. He may well be a legit GC contender. He was only behind Froome and Uran of GC guys. Albeit 50 seconds behind Froome.

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Landa has always struck me as perhaps, the next Contador. A year on Trek as co-leader with El Pistolero and then the Solo Mio Head Honcho role in 2019 when Conti retires - seems like a good fit, hmmmmm?

(Note: Rumour has it he is going to Movistar - Valverde is getting long-in-the-tooth as well and Quintana is said to be looking for greener pastures...)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts