Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Call me a Fred
17,025 Posts
Come on, give Floyd a break. Who among us has not occasionally shown up late for work?

·
I heart team Zissou!
2,954 Posts
I think Zabriskie pulled a quick one on Floyd. He changed the instructions ("transfuse 1-2 <i>hours</i> before racing") to read "transfuse contents one to two <i> seconds</i> before racing"!! But Floyd got him back and dumped some wet sand in the Z's seat tube to slow him down.

(hey, if we can't have fun with <i>operacion Puerto</i>, what is left??!!)

;-)

Philippe

·
GIMME MY BIKE!
7,787 Posts
MikeBiker said:
Come on, give Floyd a break. Who among us has not occasionally shown up late for work?
Late for work, sure. Late for a start? Never. I cut it close once at the line for a 'cross race, but it's not like it was the biggest race of my life.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,324 Posts
philippec said:
I think Zabriskie pulled a quick one on Floyd. He changed the instructions ("transfuse 1-2 hours before racing") to read "transfuse contents one to two seconds before racing"!! But Floyd got him back and dumped some wet sand in the Z's seat tube to slow him down.

(hey, if we can't have fun with operacion Puerto, what is left??!!)

;-)

Philippe
Now waita sec...I thought you said you were off to Strasbourg yesterday...:idea::D

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
vonteity said:
Late for work, sure. Late for a start? Never. I cut it close once at the line for a 'cross race, but it's not like it was the biggest race of my life.
Traffic?

Seriously, in one of the previous grand tours someone was delayed to the start by "traffic" - apparently police conrdoned off part of the street and someone was out for a ride and couldn't get back the same way.

With each stage being in a new town, I wonder how many riders get "lost" on a warmup ride due to making a wrong turn...

G

·
Pedro Delgado was once late for the start of a time trial. Rumour at the time was that the french press corps had hired a couple of pretty girls to flirt with him and cause him to miss the start.

Not the first time someone was late for a start.

·
Registered
11 Posts
No excuses

Having your **** together and being ready to race is a quality that Armstrong displayed throughout his career and apparently Landis has yet to pick up on that.. I was thinking Landis might have a really good shot at winning the Tour but he has got to stop screwing off.

·
I heart team Zissou!
2,954 Posts
Room 1201 said:
Now waita sec...I thought you said you were off to Strasbourg yesterday...:idea::D
Did you know that there are enough opiates in a poppy seed muffin to cause a failed dope test? I sure didn't! My dreams of racing the Grande Boucle were shattered by an inoportune fit of hypoglycemia-induced munchies...

There is always next year!

Philippe

PS:I am off to do the <a href="http://www.sportcommunication.com/newsite/profil.php?Id=128&langue=2">Marmotte</a> next Saturday quickly followed by the <a href="http://www.letapedutour.com/2006/us/index.htm">Etape du Tour</a> on Monday -- that will have to qualify for my mini-TDF. Afterwards I will be kicking back and riding the Alpes and Provence finishing at the Alpe d'Huez stage where I will go cheer on what is left of the peleton. In a take on the whole "Devil" "Angel" and other assorted roadside character thing, I will be decked out as a giant red blood cell running alongside the riders. Just look for what looks like a massive M&M w/ legs and that'll be me!

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
bman said:
yeah, because lance never forgot to clip in at the start of a tt, or neglected to properly hydrate/bring water during an hour long tt.

Lance doesn't get flat tires. Flat tires get Lance.
I think there's a huge difference here though - don't you think?
Armstrong was fully clipped in, but pulled hard on the pedals in the early accelerations and unclipped.

Most people don't bring bottles during ITT, and frankly, "I didn't drink enough" sounds like an excuse. I think he just got beat that day. He was dehydrated for sure, but it was hot for everyone.

Landis did something that was easily preventable - getting to the start on time. He claims there was a flat. Why was it noticed literally seconds before he had to get going? Somehow I don't think this would be considered acceptable at teams like Discovery or CSC. I hope Phonak has a talk with bike mechanic, or with Landis about this.

Overall it's a no biggie. 8 seconds will not decide this tour. The underlying lack of professional approach is more troubling. Landis says if he was told that he was about to start, he would forget about changing the wheel and risk riding with cut tire. Someone needs to tell him when he needs to start the race?!

I just hope it's simply nerves and things get better for him later.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
55x11 said:
Landis did something that was easily preventable - getting to the start on time. He claims there was a flat. Why was it noticed literally seconds before he had to get going? Somehow I don't think this would be considered acceptable at teams like Discovery or CSC. I hope Phonak has a talk with bike mechanic, or with Landis about this..
the way I read it the tire wasn't actually flat but it was perceived that it would flat on course. I don't know how they, or even who, arrived at that conclusion but it makes more sense than landis suddenly noticing he had an untimely flat.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Apparently Floyd Landis had a cut in a tire that he did'nt want to chance going flat during the prolouge. Can't really blame him for that eh? Another thing to remember that a certain American in '89 won a tour by 8 seconds...

·
lint picker
139 Posts
Wow, you guys are brutal.

The tire may have been cut during his warmup, or even wheeling the bike from the team car to the warmup area. These guys aren't doing TTs with kevlar lined training tires. You can't fault them for wanting to change the tire once they noticed damage. He never claimed the tire was flat. Somebody spotted a cut and so there was the risk of an accident at speed:

"You can't take the risk to go," explained Phonak team director John Lelangue who ordered his star rider's wheel changed before he started the prologue. "If you explode in a curve you lose the Tour de France. You don't take this kind of risk. If you are a time trialist and this is your big focus, maybe, but if not, you don't take the risk. I think it was easier for everybody to not take the risk. Of course it was a big stress for Floyd just before the start, but he did really good and was able to concentrate after that. After one kilometer he was fine." (http://www.velonews.com/tour2006/details/articles/10191.0.html)

On the upside, he was quite fast if you subtract the 8 or so seconds delay, especially taking into account his probable stress level at the starting gate. He's looking strong. Let's see what he does in the ensuing stages.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.