Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Could you tell me the reason for your cycling for the first time?

2K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  Souke-Cycling 
#1 ·
For health, fun, sustainability, or maybe even for hot girls? :unsure:

#3 ·
Fitness and variety. I was an adult masters swimmer working out in the pool with some very talented triathletes who got me into mt. biking first (that's all I owned) then road riding.
Great to hear that:D, I have always admired people who can do a variety of sports. In addition to cycling, I can also swim (only breaststroke, I have no talent for swimming:cry:)

#4 ·
I love riding because the jerseys are so cool. The first time I knew about cycling was when I was in high school, my friend wore a cool riding outfit (a green jersey with black cycling pants), fully showing his muscles.
I begged my parents to send me a cycling suit for Christmas, but I didn't have enough money to buy a cycling bike, I wore my cycling set and rode my dad's bike to school, I remembered, there were a lot of friends who greeted me that day, and the girls would talk about my muscles.😁

#5 ·
I love riding because the jerseys are so cool. The first time I knew about cycling was when I was in high school, my friend wore a cool riding outfit (a green jersey with black cycling pants), fully showing his muscles.
I begged my parents to send me a cycling suit for Christmas, but I didn't have enough money to buy a cycling bike, I wore my cycling set and rode my dad's bike to school, I remembered, there were a lot of friends who greeted me that day, and the girls would talk about my muscles.😁
Yes, jerseys are cool. So is riding your dad's bike to school! Some nice jerseys showing up in the Tour de France. They're stretch fabric and got skin tight arms, no longer trying to look like the jerseys of old. Sleek styling matches the aero bikes they're riding. Well, a gay shop manager when I pulled in on my commuter checked out my butt, "Probably hereditary." A while further back on a club ride a woman fitness coach exclaimed, 'You pedal so smooth!" Like an idiot I didn't ask her out.

My entire bike history begins at age 7. I knew how to ride and was hot for two wheels, but my parents didn't fix me up until age 9. I had to climb trees and walk fences for two years. I rode a Sears cruiser venturing in the extended neighborhoods; finally crashed on a cinderblock hidden in weeds, pretzeling the front wheel, bending the fork and breaking a rib. Well, Dad decided biking was too dangerous for his boy, so I ended up off cycling, vowing to get back into it. Well, I refurbishing a nice 3 speed Raleigh my kid brother rode, went through several cars and a motorcycle, and kept a love for pedaling on two wheels dormant until starting to fall apart in midlife. The second car finally blew a rusted out strut, and I was commuting 6 miles to work along tree lined streets in Washington, DC. So invested $75 in a hi tensile steel 4 speed with chrome handlebars, and no name printed on the frame. Well, that was it. The sense of freedom from childhood came back.

A few years later, I was riding a slightly later model of the same bike Eddy Merckx rode in the mid '70s, with reference to a flower on the down tube, a red heart on the head tube, legendary Campagnolo top of the line components, and tubular tires. I was in heaven.

So that's my story, bro. I'm still in love and ride every couple of days. Pushing age 79, the health benefits have paid off very well. I ride a bike with fenders and a 28 t. lowest gear, mostly. But once in a while, get on the dream bike, still in great shape, bringing back a long history of great rides. Distance and speed is no longer relevant. I just get out and ride. And when I stop, deftly pull out of the toe straps and not fall over, unlike the president of the United States.

#8 ·
Thank you so much 😁 ,It's really a hard time for everyone during COVID-19, but we'll stick with it! Compared with many century-old companies, we are a company that has only been established for 4 years. I am crazy about cycling, so I follow up on the design and production of every piece of clothing. I hope Souke can serve the riders better and let more people fall in love with cycling. 💪👍

#19 ·
I biked everywhere in high school and early college on a steel framed Itoh. In my late 40s, I started biking again to lose weight and stay in shape, first on a hybrid, then on a road bike. I lost 40 pounds and kept it off for 3 years and then my health went sideways. Gained all that weight back and then some. Once I got the health issues under control, Covid hit. The first year of covid allowed me to get back on the bike and start to lose weight again, even did a half-century. Then late summer had an accident and couldn't grip a darn thing with my left hand for several months. Then last year, as I was starting to get back into it, I had a series of kidney, bladder and prostate infections. A lot of antibiotics, poking, prodding and biopsies later and I discover I have prostate cancer. Had TURPS done in November. Started biking in earnest late June. I've lost almost 20 pounds since then. Got a ways to go but headed in the right direction. I'm actually almost as fast now as I was when I was a lot lighter. Can't imagine how fast I'll be once I get my weight back where I want it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.