Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have started looking at some new helmets, and noticed quite a range in prices. I understand the old saying "If you have a $10 head, buy a $10 helmet." But I was wondering what the real differences were between a $50 helmet and a $150 helmet. Is one really a hundred bucks more protective? Or is it mostly hype and style? What helmet would you recommend for around $75?

Thanks for all your help guys!

· Resident Dutchbag
11,941 Posts
Expensive helmets are none safer than their cheapo cousins, they all comply to the same standards and are all produced in more or less the same procedure. Expensive helmets will buy you extra vents and all the extra benefits of showing all the connoisseurs that you are taking this thing seriously. Buy a mid-price helmet that fits you and looks -I wont say cool because they will ALWAYS make you look like a dork- none too bad on your head. Determining fit is easy: mount a helmet on your bonce without fastening the chin buckle affair, then bend over as far as possible. The helmet that stays put is the one best suited for your head.

· Registered
5,196 Posts
Performance factors

A determining factor for me on buying helmets is the fit system in the helmet and the fit itself. Heads sizes and shapes are like saddles, one style/size won't fit all. Lesser priced helmets, I have not looked at for a while, once I began using Limar helmets (2 in 4 years) they use a ratcheting fit system, i have stuck with those. One, the buckle at the rear of the head slides (click,click,click until snug) and the other has a dial you turn to tighten. Giro had the Roc lok system, unsure what they have now. I cringe when i think about older helmets with 3 sets of pads that you had to find the right set to fit and then after a while all the fabric would fall off from sweat. Also I look at how the smooth plastic is attached to the foam skeleton of the helmet and how much it covers. I look at this because it is not completely the blunt force trauma to my head I am worried about; I worry about going over the bars landing on my head and sliding to a stop. Having a smooth plastic skin on the outside will help slide and possibly avoid a serious neck injury. Also I have had helmets where that skin has delaminated from the foam. As far as buying tips if you are looking to save money on helmets, just like a bike try alot of helmets on and make a note of which one you liked best, why, size and price. Start shopping for price. My latest Limar started out at $160, i ended up paying $92.

· Registered
168 Posts
I wear a LAS Kripton, and I love the way it fits. I got lucky on Ebay and got it for next to nothing, but I only recommend doing that if you know your size. Even then I took a chance that it wouldn't fit comfortably. Like I said, I got lucky. I know the Kripton used to list around $100 but I am sure it can be found for less now.

· "Cypress Gardens" Fl.
686 Posts
Like the OP stated, the difference is mainly fit and style. My first helmet was a "Wal-Mart" special,...some cheap Bell helmet that fit pretty good but was "UGLY". It screamed "I'm a dork" for the world to see. The higher the price you go in a helmet, the lighter and more ventilated it gets, with improved liner and fit and so on. They all have to pass ANSI and SNELL specs, so one is not going to be "safer" than the other. These days I wear a Bell "Ghisallo" helmet thats three years old. I also have a Giro "Eclipse" as a back-up helmet.

· Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
"These days I wear a Bell "Ghisallo" helmet thats three years old."

Three years old??!! OMG! You better replace that immediately. Don't you know that helmet manufacturers reccomend replacement after 2 years? Just to be on the safe side, I buy a $150 + helmet twice per year, just in case the one I have happens to deteriorate. :)

· RoadBikeReview's Member
5,513 Posts
Mr. Versatile said:

Three years old??!! OMG! You better replace that immediately. Don't you know that helmet manufacturers reccomend replacement after 2 years? Just to be on the safe side, I buy a $150 + helmet twice per year, just in case the one I have happens to deteriorate. :)
cheapo.
one for every day of the week! Cuz you never know, I could have a tire blowout. That's why I get a new tire every forty-four miles. 2000 miles? that's dangerous. AND I GOT DISK BRAKES
:p

· Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
estone2 said:
cheapo.
one for every day of the week! Cuz you never know, I could have a tire blowout. That's why I get a new tire every forty-four miles. 2000 miles? that's dangerous. AND I GOT DISK BRAKES
:p
LOL! :D

· "Cypress Gardens" Fl.
686 Posts
Lol

Mr. Versatile said:

OMG.....(gasp)...now you got me scared, thinking it's gonna visually deteriorate right before my eyes. Maybe I should spring for three new Lance Armstrong edition "Atmos" helmets. One for me, and the others for you two,.........just so I can sleep at night without worrying about your damn noggins. :D :D :D

5,513 Posts
croswell1 said:
OMG.....(gasp)...now you got me scared, thinking it's gonna visually deteriorate right before my eyes. Maybe I should spring for three new Lance Armstrong edition "Atmos" helmets. One for me, and the others for you two,.........just so I can sleep at night without worrying about your damn noggins. :D :D :D
Ain't gonna work. I wear mine 3 deep. Small on the bottom layer. Medium in the middle. Large on the top. And over that i put a special laminated layer of salmon. It's the only way to go.

· Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
estone2 said:
Ain't gonna work. I wear mine 3 deep. Small on the bottom layer. Medium in the middle. Large on the top. And over that i put a special laminated layer of salmon. It's the only way to go.
If you keep them in the refrigerator, they'll last longer. So, if you're buying in bulk, you may be able to extend the length of time before serious deterioration takes place. This is especially true if you avoid fast downhill descents, where the helmet might be hit by grit or pebbles.:rolleyes:

· Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
BTW, The Lance Armstrong Edition isn't just another pretty face, y'know. It actually provides more protection for your hard-earned $$ due to the extra durable paint they use on them. :p

5,513 Posts
Mr. Versatile said:
BTW, The Lance Armstrong Edition isn't just another pretty face, y'know. It actually provides more protection for your hard-earned $$ due to the extra durable paint they use on them. :p
AND THE CARBON FIBER INNIT.
cuz there's nothing safer than putting something as stiff as aluminum around your head...
-estone2
(hey maybe refrigerated aluminum foil would be the best helmitt)

· Registered
76 Posts
Alchera?

I have had great luck with the Bell Alchera, which can be had in the low $40 range if you look around. I recently moved up to the Sweep, which I love, but in hindsight its construction and dial-fit mechanism are just about identical to the Alchera. Alchera is lighter than the Sweep for my size as well. Venting on the Alchera is as excellent as the Sweep, but the helmet is just not as stylish. I know there are similar instances with the Giro models, which I think are great, but I still prefer the Bell dial over the Giro roc-lock.

Btw- stay away from universally sized helmets. You can do much better than that for very little extra money. Good fit is #1 and universally sized helmets can be very large and unattractive.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.