Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. I ride a 10 mile loop around a lake frequently and notice that while most faster bikers pass on the left and as they approach will call out "on your left" so as to warn you etc. On occasion, some very fast bikers will pass on the right very closely and not let you know they are coming up. What is the correct way to pass?
2. When riding with a strong crosswind, I feel like I might get blown over. Any tips for improving my skills?
Thanks!

·
Registered
195 Posts
1. they should always pass you on the left but that assumes you are staying to the right so as to give them room to pass on the left. If you are riding alone you should always be on the right. It's also good etiquette to announce you are overtaking with an "on your left" but dont count on it.

2. Not much you can do about the wind other than get used to it. I like to ride in the drops in the wind to get the center of gravity a little lower and have more control over the handlebars.

have fun.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks

shongalola said:
1. they should always pass you on the left but that assumes you are staying to the right so as to give them room to pass on the left. If you are riding alone you should always be on the right. It's also good etiquette to announce you are overtaking with an "on your left" but dont count on it.

2. Not much you can do about the wind other than get used to it. I like to ride in the drops in the wind to get the center of gravity a little lower and have more control over the handlebars.

have fun.
Thanks!
Actually, I was pretty close to the right hand side of the road so I was sort of p.o'd and yes, I have learned not to count on riders telling me that they're passing. I was going 21 mph roughly and there was plenty of room on my left. People walking their dog(s) is more of a problem on my bike path though.

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
Knowledgeable and experienced riders will always pass on the left side.
Even if you are not totally to the right, I think riders should still pass you on the left.
If Dogs are passing you, you're in trouble. LOL!

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Sadly, some "very fast riders" fall into the group known colloquially as Arrogant Roadie PrIckx. There's a bunch of them here in one of the local We're-So-Serious clubs that routinely slam past novice and casual riders close enough that they brush shoulders as they pass. I've had a couple of conversations with them, and if I ever start carrying Mace, they'll be the reason. Hose the effers down once and they'd learn some manners...
Particularly in a crowded place like the lake loop, it's best to be sure the people you're overtaking know you're there, if only to be sure they don't wobble into you. How you do it doesn't really matter. I have bells on my road bikes, but they tend to confuse people. Usually I just say something like, "Can I get by on your left?" They move over and I ride past.
As for the wind...well, it's wind. Everybody hates it. Just keep going and your skills will improve..
If you're going 21mph on a multi-use path, you may be creating a hazard yourself. In many places, including here, the speed limit on MUTs is 15. Even if it's not, the speed difference between you at 21, casual riders at 9mph, old people walking dogs at 3mph and dimbulbs who stop in the middle of the path to answer their cell phones can cause problems. Might be time to get out on the road.

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
Cory said:
Might be time to get out on the road.
If you're cruising along at 21 and have some good deserted roads in your area, there's the answer. But on the path, on the left is the correct way to do it. Saying it helps but not everyone will hear it (iPod) or know what you're telling them. Some people will just hear "left" and move that way. Some walkers will just come to a dead stop which they will tell you they feel is the safest thing to do (no it isn't). Kids and dogs can and will go anywhere.

Last year when I got back into it, I rode a path to get back in shape. One of my first times out, I got passed by two guys who yelled "on your left" when they were about 5' behind me and going twice as fast as me. I nearly rode into the ditch! Jerks. Since then, if I'm on a trail I slow down and first say "Hi" or something a ways back to avoid startling them.

We have some MUTs around here that are relatively deserted where going that fast is no problem most of the time. Others that are more like Times Square. I'll take the roads, personally. For riding in the wind, just keep doing it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts