Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I commute in the reasonably early AM. A couple of shots from yesterday (and yes, I have a light on my bike, but it's run off the front hub, so...

Oh, and you can barely see it, but that's frost on the guard rail. I was around 20(F).

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No tripod...

comsense said:
Nice bike!
I like that sky shot a lot - did you use a tripod?
Nope...there's a little blurring, in fact, if you look close. Many, many years ago I used to use a tripod, but I got frustrated with always having to tote one around...so I got good at keeping very still for 1/4- or 1/2-second exposures...

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
How do you like that monster seat bag?

Does it hit the back of your legs (or I guess I should say do the backs of your legs hit the bag?).

Also how do you like the light?

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Da Bag/Da Light

MB1 said:
Does it hit the back of your legs (or I guess I should say do the backs of your legs hit the bag?).

Also how do you like the light?
Specifically, it's a Carradice Nelson Longflap (see www.wallbike.com). I like it 'cause I'm somewhat ambivalent toward racks on non-touring bikes.

When the bag is REALLY stuffed, it rubs a little--but by "really stuffed" I mean something like this: A complete change of office clothes, including size 13 shoes, a fleece vest, insulin kit, glucose test kit, food, usual bike stuff, and a disassembled 3-bag laundry hamper and its PVC frame (the last wrapped up in one of the mesh bags and held under the extended longflap).

Otherwise? Nah. I did a 500-mile ride across Wisconsin with it, no problems.

As for the light--a Lumotec Round 3w head with a Shimano 3w dynohub is all the light I could possibly need. I've run battery systems up to a combined 15w (one 10w head, one 5w) and this is better. It's at its best when I'm crossing the marshes and there's no other light, but it holds its own, and I've had one cycle commuter tell me that it's the brightest headlight he's ever seen (of course, he was oncoming and so looking straight at it...).

·
Non non normal
10,086 Posts
Nice bike. I think I am going to start commuting this Monday again. Your downtube shifters are inspiring.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dt

bigrider said:
Nice bike. I think I am going to start commuting this Monday again. Your downtube shifters are inspiring.
Yep--Matthew designs nice bikes. This one's a Model D, and it's a shame they're out of production, but you ought to see what he's working on these days.

As for the shifters--I have ridden just about everything this side of Mektronic, and if you're not racing, there is IMO nothing better than a set of downtube shifters, especially in friction mode. They also look good on a bike.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
have to agree the moonshot is pretty cool. The temperature range is what we're having out here right now. Definitely helps you wake up in the morning.

·
Bike Dude
986 Posts
Nice pics, nice bike

Great looking setup you have. Do you ever have any issues with the front dyno in drizzly or real foggy weather? Would like to use one instead of the battery lights I use now. The rechargeable battery systems are out of the question; too freakin' heavy.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dyno

Thommy said:
Great looking setup you have. Do you ever have any issues with the front dyno in drizzly or real foggy weather? Would like to use one instead of the battery lights I use now. The rechargeable battery systems are out of the question; too freakin' heavy.
Well, only in the sense that bad weather limits all visibility. Depending on how much you tighten the mounting bolt, you can adjust the head up or down a little, so that can help (think how bad highbeams are in fog).

From a slippage perspective: I used to use a bottom bracket dynamo with a metal roller; as soon as the moisture level increased, it started to slip badly. I don't like the idea of sidewall dynos, so I decided to bite the bullet. It doesn't slip. It works in *all* weather, as long as the front wheel keeps turning.

Having my wheel rebuilt (dynohub, old rim, , new spokes) cost just around $120--and I could have done it for a lot less had I done it myself. There *is* a weight penalty, but nothing like carrying an SLA bottle. And the wheel feels notchy in the stand, but you can't notice it at all when you're riding.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts