Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
should work

they should work with the shoes, I know a couple guys that use shimano with speedplays. As far as walking on them I do all the time, it's nothing to worry about. if you are worried about it they make little covers for them.

Great pedals, I've had many happy miles with mine

·
jaded bitter joy crusher
19,723 Posts
namrufmot said:
Will they work on my Shimano shoes?

Can you walk on the cleats?
If you have a 3-bolt pattern on the bottom, they'll fit. Pretty much all mainstream shoes have this.

You can walk on them, but you should buy a pair of cleat covers to keep dirt out of the springs. Dirt can bind the cleats and make it hard to engage or release them. With the cleat covers I find the cleats quite easy to walk on, and I once had to walk my bike about five miles when my rear derailleur busted out on a lonely road and I didn't have a cell phone with me.

·
Registered
104 Posts
What model? My carbon soled SH-R215s work fine with X-series pedals.
The website doesn't really confirm this; but I spoke to a rep at Speedplay and they told me that my model of shoe, [circa 2004] was designed to accomodate the pedal to crank arm distance.
I compared my new SH-R215s with the Sidis I was previously using, and they were virtually the same width. They work perfectly well too!

·
Cat 6
4,695 Posts
get the plastic covers...the metal on the cleats is very easy to damage...also very very easy to scratch up house flooring with them. most lbs that carry speedplay sell the covers.

·
Administrator
12,940 Posts
There are a couple of random shoes that don't work with Speedplay- their website should have the list. Also go with the Zero's over the X series IMHO- better to be able to choose your float.

:)

·
Rollin' Stones
2,560 Posts
Get the cleat covers

If you get the pedals, get the covers. Aside from dammage that the cleats can receive from debris or walking on cement, the things are slippery! You'll more than likely hurt your hip, back or ego by slipping wildly because of the lack of covers. So get em! :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Website not quite up to date

Coolhand said:
There are a couple of random shoes that don't work with Speedplay- their website should have the list. Also go with the Zero's over the X series IMHO- better to be able to choose your float.

:)
The site seemed to indicate that my shoe was on the 'not compatible' list; however, speaking with the representative, I discovered that my shoes actually would work.
Call the 1 800 number if you have any doubts.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I've been using speedplay zero's for about 3 seasons now, with 2 bikes with speedplay pedals and 2 pairs of shoes and have yet to replace the cleats. A nice feature about the durability of the cleats is that because the cleat front is elevated off the ground as it follows the conture of the shoe sole, the only part of the cleat that touches the ground when walking is steel. Very durable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts