Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I measured out the course I plan to use this year and its about 4300 meters--is this pretty normal? It will be fairly flat and turny with room to pass the whole way, I don't intend to pull riders and will generally see a field of 60 ish riders. I am only planning on ane barrier set per lap. I don't have a sense for the lap times yet.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
Doing some quick math in my head, I'd say that's probably about normal to on the shortish side?

·
More Cowbell!
4,832 Posts
Kram said:
Doing some quick math in my head, I'd say that's probably about normal to on the shortish side?
4.3 km.

On a flatish, non-technical course, I'd expect that the top guys could average 30km/hr (~19mph). That's 30 km over the 60 minute race. At 4.3 km per lap, that's pretty close to 7 laps at about 8:30 per lap. Averaging 24 km/hr (~15 mph), you get almost spot on 4 laps with laps times slightly north of 11 minutes. I think that's where you get into trouble. The C's, juniors, and women might be split between the 3 and 4 lap times.

I think 3.2 km is the gold standard. 10 laps for the As. Deviate somewhat depending on course difficulty.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gripped said:
4.3 km.

On a flatish, non-technical course, I'd expect that the top guys could average 30km/hr (~19mph). That's 30 km over the 60 minute race. At 4.3 km per lap, that's pretty close to 7 laps at about 8:30 per lap. Averaging 24 km/hr (~15 mph), you get almost spot on 4 laps with laps times slightly north of 11 minutes. I think that's where you get into trouble. The C's, juniors, and women might be split between the 3 and 4 lap times.

I think 3.2 km is the gold standard. 10 laps for the As. Deviate somewhat depending on course difficulty.
Gosh, you are right--I expected it to be too short, but it's too long, which is great news as I calculate needing a ton of stakes, which costs a ton of money. Thanks for the numbers to plus in, that's helpful. I have a spreadsheet of sections all measured w/ the GPS, now I can eliminate the stupid sections and get down to the number I want.

It's easier when someone else puts on the freaking race and I jus show up and do it...

·
eat live sleep cross
418 Posts
Hey look at it this way. If, on race day, you have a field of 200 riders now you know how to make it a longer lap!

·
Registered
38 Posts
This is what the UCI says:

The course must form a closed circuit of a minimum length of 2.5 km and maximum 3.5 km, of which at least 90% shall be ridable.
For a non-uci race you don't have to follow those rules, but most races (in Europe) do more or less. (which is sorta good, so racers know what to expect)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.