Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All of us cyclists deal with more than our share of a-holes on the road, most of them in vehicles, but every so often I see the brighter side from my bike. So while there are certainly some courteous drivers around, I always appreciate nice gestures from others along the way. One that I see with regularity is when people with weed-whackers or mowers blowing grass in my direction stop as I go by. Most seem to do so and I always appreciate it, especially because you never know what other debris may be thrown along with the grass.

Another unique situation recently presented itself when in the middle of a tough ascent a huge ill-tempered Rottweiler decided I would go no farther. He ran out into the middle of the road in front of me in full attack mode, when luckily a car in back of me waved me over and leaned on his horn, using his car to force Cujo out of the way. He got me to the crest of the hill where I could safely speed down the other side.

So despite our unfortunate encounters with the all too many dicks out there, it's always gratifying to see the kinder side of humanity from the bike.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
Nice post. I experience incidents like this very often. It's nice to hear something positive. Unfortunately many of us seem to forget things like this and concentrate on the negative aspects of dealing with people when riding.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Ditto on the nice post. I had a flat yesterday. The wind was gusting over 30 mph, so I laid the bike down while I repaired the flat. I guy with a mtn bike in the back of his truck pulled over and walked back to check on me thinking I had crashed. 10 minutes later when a red neck cowboy buzzed me in his diesel and mashed the gas to blow smoke on me, I was able to refrain from expressing my immediate thoughts to him by remembering the guy who stopped to offer aid. I try to remember that for every negligent, inconsiderate, under-skilled, drunk and distracted driver I encounter while riding, there are a scores who pass with plenty of space, don't cut me off or buzz me, and otherwise are considerate and safe around cyclists.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Couldn't agree more. There are a mixed of nasty and nice people on this planet. I appreciate the kind gesture showed by people just like OT. However, once a while when a nasty one comes by, I try to keep my cool and not getting upset. When I'm upset, I'm at the effect of it...not the other guy. Getting upset is like me eating the poison, hoping that the other guy will die.

·
Administrator
13,147 Posts
I always thank the good people like this- want to encourage good behavior.

Ah the HillyBilly SmokeScreen, always a favorite. :D

·
Registered
638 Posts
I've had two major wrecks over the years. One in which I slipped on a wet road and broke my hip. I had a number of motorists pull over and offer help. Another time I had a deer run into me causing me to flip over the bars and end up breaking my collar bone. I had a motorist who saw the whole thing pull over and called 911 and got help out there within minutes. Before getting my pancreas transplant I had Type 1 diabetes and I was riding after work one day when I ended up passing out on the side of the road from low blood sugars. Some nameless stranger found me there and called an ambulance. I was unconscience up until I awoke in the ER. They told me I came close to dieing out there and would have if that person hadn't found me. I've also had numerous times when I was fixing flats on the side of the road when someone will pull over and see if I need any help.
There are definitely some good people out there...

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Yep, nice post! I unfortunately get far more aggressive drivers than nice ones, as it seems all of us do. But, when someone does something kind or courteous, wow, I instantly forget the five bad drivers who nearly killed me during that ride; it sure makes my day when just one driver does something nice, even a safe pass and a wave!

Us skinny lycra folks don't ask for much:)

·
I ride in circles..
4,990 Posts
Thats awesome! Maybe the driver was a cyclist as well:)

I've seen some nice people while cycling and most of them fall into the same categories with lawn mowing and such.

I dare say the nicest thing any bystander has ever done for me while I'm cycling is help chase down a vehicle that nearly ran me over.

I was heading straight into a 4 way intersection with the right of way. An SUV is driving along beside me and at the last moment accelerates ahead of me and quickly turns hard to the right to make the corner. I'd been near this SUV for a while and they never signaled. I braked hard and turns sharply to avoid running into the right rear tire area.. Missed them by inches at best. I never went down but I was furious. I chased off after them cutting through the fire department lot and a few others. After I caught up I confronted them and made the man feel like an idiot... (I hope). As I was leaving a lady in another vehicle pulls up and asks.."did you catch that *******?!"
She saw the whole thing and wanted to see if I was ok or needed help catching them. I thought it was a pretty nice gesture.

·
What Would Google Do.
1,578 Posts
yep +1 on the possitive post, Im sick of hearing about arseholes, theres one every minute and we have all met many in our own experiences some people mistake the forum for cable news \I think :rolleyes:

on rides over the years I have not been able to stop and lie on my back in the mtns and catch a bit of downtime for 5min without many kind hearts [the 4 wheeled kind] stopping to ask if I was alright and if I needed anyhelp
it was annoying in a sense, but nice to know they cared and were concerned for my safety :)

one year I was in teneriffe and a car pulled up to me while climbing, told me something out the window [in spanish] and stopped and turned around and then went back down the mountain. I recognised it from one of the tiny villages I passed through on the climb, I only caught the word 'dog'

when I got to the top of the section I was on, about a 6mile steep climb I heard dogs barking to my left and then at next bend they were coming down the driveway from the house at me, I had done the 10+ mile climb [steep 8-10%+] at a heavy pace and still had another 8miles of similar to go, but the grade eased enough to crank it into the big ring and actually outrun them :eek: thankfully.

So obviously the guy earlier on was trying to warn me of it [it was my first time on the climb] I never saw any cyclists going up my side, but saw a few coming down it ;)

how nice was that, he went out of his way to go up the climb, tell me, then turn around and go back to his house! :)

oh another touring in france, small quiet road, bee gets caught up in my hair [was long at the time] Im freakin out middle of road/nowhere. Car stops [I hailed them to get be out] she gets it free, it stings me in the side, she says she lives nearby, we go back to her house and get fixed up, I ended up staying the night :wink5:

·
dirtroadie
16 Posts
frmrench said:
Another unique situation recently presented itself when in the middle of a tough ascent a huge ill-tempered Rottweiler decided I would go no farther. He ran out into the middle of the road in front of me in full attack mode, when luckily a car in back of me waved me over and leaned on his horn, using his car to force Cujo out of the way. He got me to the crest of the hill where I could safely speed down the other side.
That's crazy...aside from the hill, I was out on a solo ride last year and the exact same situation happened to me, Rottweiler and all. :eek:

·
Frog Whisperer
41,515 Posts
I always thank people for NOT killing me....
The lawnmower thing......happens a LOT...for which I am grateful, I hate getting hit my rocks out of the mower chutes....

·
Just Plain Bitter
8,622 Posts
Good to hear the nice things. There are many times that people do the right thing when I am out and they don't get any acknowledgment. I tend only post about the negatives. This thread makes me happy!

·
Registered
277 Posts
I was doing a night ride during the winter, got one of those flats that I couldn't fix, 2 tubes, and still losing air. Something in the tire I couldn't find (in the low light) finally decided to walk the last 4 miles. While working on the bike, had people ask if I needed help both times. When I was walking, a third guy asked if I needed a ride and I took it. There are plenty of nice people out there. It reminds me to try to do the same for others when needed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.