Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I venture in here very seldom, but I'm feeling adventurous today.

A friend of mine shared a cover song of "Ice Ice Baby" by Vanilla Ice.

Original:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rog8ou-ZepE

Cover:

So that got me thinking, what other covers are out there? Post up an original song and a cover that you thought "sh1t man, that was pretty good!"

·
Super Moderator
40,838 Posts
She doesn't do a lot of covers, but when she does...

The original:

Also, because you just don't hear this fine pop song covered very often, and The Killers cover it so well, Eric Carmen would be jumping out of his grave with delight if he weren't still living:

·
Super Moderator
40,838 Posts
Oooh, and the Wilson sisters have been covering any number of Led Zep tunes in concert (her version of "Rock and Roll" has more balls than Robert Plant ever dreamed of having, IMHO), but this one is also pretty good:

·
Registered
7,492 Posts

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Superstar.

Yeah, that's pretty awesome.
Yeah, but it's not a "Carpenters song" except in the sense that Karen Carpenter's insipid version is the best known. It was written by Bonnie Bramlett and Leon Russell, and first recorded by Delaney and Bonnie.

The Sonic Youth version is great, but for my money Bette Midler's is the best.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLgz57FSscY

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
for f'n sure. That's so iconic it's easy to forget it was a Beatles song. Not exactly an obscure song by a hack band so to kind of 'own' it like Cocker did is saying something.
For sure. The other cover that comes to mind that expanded on the source material so magnificently is Jimi Hendrix's take on Dylan's "All Along the Watchtower."

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
For sure. The other cover that comes to mind that expanded on the source material so magnificently is Jimi Hendrix's take on Dylan's "All Along the Watchtower."
yes. I always think of that as a Hendrix song first though I know that's not actually the case.

His version of Like a Rolling Stone is really good too. But that'll always be a Dylan song first in my mind.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
W/out a doubt!
But by the same token, Stevie covering Hendrix...
Stevie Ray's cover of "Little Wing" is deathless - even if it's wordless.

But he could sing Jimi songs, too. This one is sticks closer to the original -- it's more of a loving tribute to the original (which, to my mind, is the apotheosis of the blues, and the ultimate summation of Hendrix's genius).

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
for f'n sure. That's so iconic it's easy to forget it was a Beatles song. Not exactly an obscure song by a hack band so to kind of 'own' it like Cocker did is saying something.
Yes, somewhat better than Ringo's version.

Pretty well every cover Joe did was groovy

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
Sonic Youth with that Leon Russell song.
fixed.

sorry, but i'm from oklahoma. B^)

edit:. oops. sniped by a long shot. that's what i get for not reading the thread.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts