Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You're old. hehehehe. Go away or something. hehehehehe.

·
imbasilical moreon
1,873 Posts
..... seems to me that today's artists do not give credit to the past artists/songwriters whose song they are covering.......hardly a day goes by when I don't hear a old song that's beeing remade/remixed by a contemporary artist......and no credit is mentioned by the DJ........

.....or is it just a radio thing? the DJ doesn't have the time or concern to announce it? or station management wants the air time filled with commercials?

.....this just bothers me (maybe it should be on Len's List :D).....today's younger listners just take it for granted that the artist covering the song wrote it......

JJ

[rant off]

·
tofurkey hunting
4,733 Posts
ha. i think zack wylde said it best. his nephew was going on and on about the new puff daddy song. he simply looked at him and said, "hey @$$hole, that's led zeppelin" i still laugh when i think about that

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bonkmiester said:
is that a line from a beavis & butthead cartoon ???????
It is. :)

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
When my kids were young teenagers........

I had them for a rainy weekend. They were bored.

So, I went upstairs and dug out the old turntable and the boxes and boxes of albums I have and started "introducing" them to, what I consider "good" music. They were awed!

We spent the entire weekend listening. I would play a song....they would bring out a CD & play a song......I introduced them to Boz Scags, Led Zepplin, Janis Joplin, Dylan, The Who (You should have seen the looks on their faces listening to "Tommy"), Yes, CSNY, Cream, The Band, Cocker, Joan Biaz, Richie Havens, Creedence. I ended up burning them about 40 CD's....they were stoked.

They are still surprised when one of their songs come on the radio, & I start singing along. It got them really interested in the History of R & R.

It was a cool weekend.

Len

·
Non non normal
10,086 Posts
I have tried to expose my teenagers to good music.

There teachers have been amazed when they use a quote from the lyrics of a Billy Joel song my kids can name the song.

Also, if you play a popular classical piece they can guess the composer most of the time if it is Mozart, Beethoven, or Tchaichovsky.

They harras their friends for calling artists like Kenny Chesny country. "That's not real country". It cracks me up to hear their analysis of music.

All of my three children have been to classical concerts, bluegrass events, and my one son went to see an opera when he was 12 years old. They love rock, country, classical, blues, and modern rock. One of them likes vocal jazz and big band crooners like Michael Buble. The only thing they really hate is rap and real progressive modern jazz.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Len J said:
I had them for a rainy weekend. They were bored.

So, I went upstairs and dug out the old turntable and the boxes and boxes of albums I have and started "introducing" them to, what I consider "good" music. They were awed!

We spent the entire weekend listening. I would play a song....they would bring out a CD & play a song......I introduced them to Boz Scags, Led Zepplin, Janis Joplin, Dylan, The Who (You should have seen the looks on their faces listening to "Tommy"), Yes, CSNY, Cream, The Band, Cocker, Joan Biaz, Richie Havens, Creedence. I ended up burning them about 40 CD's....they were stoked.

They are still surprised when one of their songs come on the radio, & I start singing along. It got them really interested in the History of R & R.

It was a cool weekend.

Len
I haven't had my turntable hooked up for a while now--keep intending to digitize my vinyl--lately I've been buying DVDs of some of these kinds of groups and watching with my kids. They've seen The Who's Kids are Alright, Springsteen's Born to Run concert, numerous Neil Young titles, Zeppelin's latest DVD--all in 5.1 sound so they sound better than the original in many respects.

·
Super Moderator
19,479 Posts
bigrider said:
Also, if you play a popular classical piece they can guess the composer most of the time if it is Mozart, Beethoven, or Tchaichovsky.

They harras their friends for calling artists like Kenny Chesny country. "That's not real country". It cracks me up to hear their analysis of music.

All of my three children have been to classical concerts, bluegrass events, and my one son went to see an opera when he was 12 years old. They love rock, country, classical, blues, and modern rock. One of them likes vocal jazz and big band crooners like Michael Buble. The only thing they really hate is rap and real progressive modern jazz.
Heck I have trouble picking out Tchaikovsky sometimes and I was a music student! When I am listening to a piece and have to "name that tune" I usually get to him by process of elimination.

I think of Hip-Hop/Rap as more a street poet kinda thing than actual music. Ain't got melody so in my book it's really not music. I liked Eminem's The Marshall Mathers LP though. Great album. I really liked it. :)

·
tofurkey hunting
4,733 Posts
four words

marc bolan....eric burdon

you can pry their records from my cold dead hands. my five year old asks for t rex by song title. makes a papa proud.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Get the DVD........

Bocephus Jones II said:
I haven't had my turntable hooked up for a while now--keep intending to digitize my vinyl--lately I've been buying DVDs of some of these kinds of groups and watching with my kids. They've seen The Who's Kids are Alright, Springsteen's Born to Run concert, numerous Neil Young titles, Zeppelin's latest DVD--all in 5.1 sound so they sound better than the original in many respects.
of Tommy Performed in 1989

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000B9PW6M/104-9882435-7343926?v=glance&vi=tech-info&n=130

It will entertain them & blow them away.

Len

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts

·
jaded bitter joy crusher
19,723 Posts
I did that with my stepson and the end result is that he works as a DJ and I ended up giving him my entire vinyl collection (around 3500 records). I still miss some of those records.

I still get a silly grin when I remember the day about five years ago when he was going through the collection and came across the original LP of the Wild Style soundtrack, which I guess has some sort of credibility among youth today. For whatever trivial reason, after he convinced me to give it to him so he could show it off to his friends, I never quite got the same rolling-eyes, "it's a youth thing and you old farts just wouldn't understand" attitude after that. Which is funny because I am an old fart and most of the time I just don't understand.

·
Government Mule
1,326 Posts
Had to chuckle back when ladies at work were swooning over Pearl Jam's cover of Last Kiss. Maybe its time for a new Teen Angel!

·
What the Hell is going on
4,994 Posts
Remade=worst

I hate it more when someone remakes a song and it's far worst than the orignial. Two examples that immediately come to mind are: Micheal Bolton's cover of "When a Man Loves a Woman" and Rod Stewarts cover of "This Old Heart O Mine". Those two guys totally sucked the life and energy out of those two great songs.

Can't think of anymore.

·
jaded bitter joy crusher
19,723 Posts
JaeP said:
Micheal Bolton's cover of "When a Man Loves a Woman"
Percy Sledge -> Bette Midler -> Michael Bolton.

Hegel remarks somewhere that all great world-historic facts and personages and popular songs appear, so to speak, twice. He forgot to add: the first time as tragedy, the second time as farce. Caussidiere for Danton, Louis Blanc for Robespierre, the Montagne of 1848 to 1851 for the Montagne of 1793 to 1795, the nephew for the uncle, Bette Midler for Percy Sledge, and Michael Bolton for Bette Midler.

But modern times cannot compete with the past. Nothing on contemporary radio has the pure skin-crawling effect of Pat Boone covering Little RIchard.

·
Government Mule
1,326 Posts
Fredke said:
Percy Sledge -> Bette Midler -> Michael Bolton.

Hegel remarks somewhere that all great world-historic facts and personages and popular songs appear, so to speak, twice. He forgot to add: the first time as tragedy, the second time as farce. Caussidiere for Danton, Louis Blanc for Robespierre, the Montagne of 1848 to 1851 for the Montagne of 1793 to 1795, the nephew for the uncle, Bette Midler for Percy Sledge, and Michael Bolton for Bette Midler.

But modern times cannot compete with the past. Nothing on contemporary radio has the pure skin-crawling effect of Pat Boone covering Little RIchard.
Pat Boone's covers came right on the heels of Little Richard, and fortunately those of us who were around in those days heard the originals also. We felt then as you do now. No version of When a Man Loves a Woman will ever be able to measure up to Percy Sledge's. I feel the instrumental part on a lot of the old tunes can be improved to jazz them up; with Pearl Jam's last kiss being an example. I've always liked Dan Fogelberg's music, and was suprised that he cracked the charts for the first time in ages with Rythm of The Rain, an old song that was popular in the early sixties.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts