Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I got Covid in April. Not severe but enough to put me in bed for 10 days. I felt fine after about 3 weeks. However, to this day my legs are pretty much dead after about an hour riding. Anything over Zone 2 has a major impact on my HR vs Power ratio. At the 1.5 hour mark my Hr is zone 3-4 but my power drops to zone 1. I have been told by a doctor that this is normal for athletes the have had covid. The lungs can not oxygenate the blood enough so lactic acid builds up fast and stays long. He told me to expect up to 6 months for this to get back to normal.

Pre covid I was riding 12-14 a week and very strong.
Anyone else have any experience with Covid recovery having a similar effect?
TIA
Jake

Vertebrate Azure Human Organism Mammal

·
Registered
5,285 Posts
If things are not working right, I would call it a ride when it goes downhill. Pushing harder would not be training. I would keep an eye on the numbers and adding miles in slowly.

·
Registered
21,621 Posts
I got Covid in April. Not severe but enough to put me in bed for 10 days. I felt fine after about 3 weeks. However, to this day my legs are pretty much dead after about an hour riding. Anything over Zone 2 has a major impact on my HR vs Power ratio. At the 1.5 hour mark my Hr is zone 3-4 but my power drops to zone 1. I have been told by a doctor that this is normal for athletes the have had covid. The lungs can not oxygenate the blood enough so lactic acid builds up fast and stays long. He told me to expect up to 6 months for this to get back to normal.

Have you since been vaccinated? There are a lot of anecdotal reports of people with long covid recovering much better after they get vaccinated. Studies are underway on this but I would be surprised if this does not prove to be true.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Getting back to bike shape after any illness . IMO lots of patience, start easy and slowly increase [fill in your own blank]. Check your food intake. IMO again, lower your sugar intake, set up easy goals.

Doc says 6 mos. Maybe yes. Maybe no. Make notes on what you do and progress. This can be for you and a Doc if you need some details.

So glad you can function again. It won’t take long amigo.

·
Registered
4,892 Posts

TIA
Jake
Hey Jake21!! I’m also a COVID survivor, glad you made it through! I was also kind of moderate illness. My doc, who I saw a month or more after testing positive, said no exercise or endurance training for 4-5 months. Then, go super slow. It sucks.

So, they aren’t recommending this stuff for no reason. They are seeing lung damage, particularly in men who return to fitness activities. Particularly men over 40. I’m no doc, but I work with them all day, every day... They are smart. They are seeing stuff they don’t fully understand because we don’t know a lot about COVID19 because it’s so new. Docs hate being in this place. They are scientists first, all of them.

I have seen VERY few instances of male COVID victims getting quickly back to fitness activity when their illness was more than asymptomatic or generally mild.

I had long haul neurological symptoms. Nothing that kept me out of work, but with problems with balance t made riding weird and scary. In April I got vaccinated and within 2 days the neuro symptoms started to recede. In two weeks they were gone completely. Finally! I could start riding for real! And I have. I’m struggling from a lack of conditioning, which kind of hurts because I’m not used to that... but it’s also great to be riding for real! Slow, but real. Shorter rides, but real. Standing and sprinting, hard sprints to finish rides!I SUCK compared to me 2 years ago, but I’m 100% confident I can challenge 2 year younger me by fall. That sound like damned by faint praise. It isn’t. I’ve been up to my hips in COVID since the beginning. I’m a front line healthcare worker and I spent well over a year in COVIS positive rooms every day. I watched people die, I held their hands, I was the conduit to their locked out families...

We lived brother! 600,000+ weren’t as fortunate. I try hard to keep that in perspective when I’m sucking wind on a climb I’d typically crush. It’s not about the ride, I don’t ride for a living... It’s about the living. Work closely with your doc. You are at risk for pulmonary damage. Be patient. Watch movies and relax. That’s what my doc told me, and I did, so I’m happy to share some real winners! I’m not at all typically a film guy.... I’ll end with this, I love my doc. We’ve been together for years. She is friends with all the docs I work with. She is half colleague, half doc, until she goes into doc mode. Post COVID was pure doc mode. She was not casual. She was concerned about lung damage that might be permanent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: shrubs

·
Registered
150 Posts
PBL 450 says it all. Take it slow embrace life and living. Consider rest days as a very important of your regime.

Thanks for the posts both of you and a reminder of what’s important.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Thanks for sharing guys, not much is known about long-haul effects of the neurological side, so there's a lot of people looking for info. Good luck to you both!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I caught it early on in the pandemic, similar case to the OP, recovery was gradual and really not too problematic (other than trying to do so in the late winter/early spring). I disagree with a few things put forth in this thread, particularly by PBL, but that's a thread for another place/time.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have you since been vaccinated? There are a lot of anecdotal reports of people with long covid recovering much better after they get vaccinated. Studies are underway on this but I would be surprised if this does not prove to be true.
I have not and do not plan to.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Hey Jake21!! I’m also a COVID survivor, glad you made it through! I was also kind of moderate illness. My doc, who I saw a month or more after testing positive, said no exercise or endurance training for 4-5 months. Then, go super slow. It sucks.

So, they aren’t recommending this stuff for no reason. They are seeing lung damage, particularly in men who return to fitness activities. Particularly men over 40. I’m no doc, but I work with them all day, every day... They are smart. They are seeing stuff they don’t fully understand because we don’t know a lot about COVID19 because it’s so new. Docs hate being in this place. They are scientists first, all of them.

I have seen VERY few instances of male COVID victims getting quickly back to fitness activity when their illness was more than asymptomatic or generally mild.

I had long haul neurological symptoms. Nothing that kept me out of work, but with problems with balance t made riding weird and scary. In April I got vaccinated and within 2 days the neuro symptoms started to recede. In two weeks they were gone completely. Finally! I could start riding for real! And I have. I’m struggling from a lack of conditioning, which kind of hurts because I’m not used to that... but it’s also great to be riding for real! Slow, but real. Shorter rides, but real. Standing and sprinting, hard sprints to finish rides!I SUCK compared to me 2 years ago, but I’m 100% confident I can challenge 2 year younger me by fall. That sound like damned by faint praise. It isn’t. I’ve been up to my hips in COVID since the beginning. I’m a front line healthcare worker and I spent well over a year in COVIS positive rooms every day. I watched people die, I held their hands, I was the conduit to their locked out families...

We lived brother! 600,000+ weren’t as fortunate. I try hard to keep that in perspective when I’m sucking wind on a climb I’d typically crush. It’s not about the ride, I don’t ride for a living... It’s about the living. Work closely with your doc. You are at risk for pulmonary damage. Be patient. Watch movies and relax. That’s what my doc told me, and I did, so I’m happy to share some real winners! I’m not at all typically a film guy.... I’ll end with this, I love my doc. We’ve been together for years. She is friends with all the docs I work with. She is half colleague, half doc, until she goes into doc mode. Post COVID was pure doc mode. She was not casual. She was concerned about lung damage that might be permanent.

Thanks for the insight. It really helps. Looks like i need to resist the urge to go hard and stay in zone 2 for a few months longer..

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
I caught it early on in the pandemic, similar case to the OP, recovery was gradual and really not too problematic (other than trying to do so in the late winter/early spring). I disagree with a few things put forth in this thread, particularly by PBL, but that's a thread for another place/time.
I’ve talked to docs that disagree.

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
I know riders that are not with us now, so I support PBL.
Thanks, I do too. That said, he’s far more qualified to post on the topic that I am. I’m just anecdotal off the cuff with my experience in the haze of 18 months of hell... Appreciate the support 100%.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I caught Covid-19 just before Christmas and was off work for 5 weeks. I felt pretty lousy for 2 weeks then made good, steady progress over the next 3 weeks. I went back to work in early February and had a short cycle commute of just 3 miles each way which was no problem and relocated in March with a 12 mile cycle commute each way - again with no problem. However, I only work a 3-day week (I'm 59 and semi-retired) and have absolutely no motivation to ride my bike on my days off so I've lost a lot of fitness compared to where I was this time last year.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Please explain why. Absent specific contraindications, the science says it's the right thing to do.
There has not been long term clinical testing like other vaccines. I think there could be complications in the future for some that got it. We know so very little about the long term effects of both the virus and the vaccines.

·
Registered
5,285 Posts
He already got COV!
Has there been any info if you had COV, you can get the Delta version with impact?
That is why smart phones don't work, you didn't read the whole thread.

·
Registered
4,892 Posts

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
He already got COV!
Has there been any info if you had COV, you can get the Delta version with impact?
That is why smart phones don't work, you didn't read the whole thread.
Right....

1 - 20 of 37 Posts