Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I am not an admin, but please lets keep this about covid recovery as it pertains to cyclists. There is so little information that I can find. That is why i started this discussion. So we can all learn from those who have been there or are there now. I am seeing a doctor for the first time since getting Covid. I will ask if he will prescribe a lung X-ray. Keep you guys posted on that.

I did find this:The long and the short of Covid-19 for cyclists

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
I am not an admin, but please lets keep this about covid recovery as it pertains to cyclists. There is so little information that I can find. That is why i started this discussion. So we can all learn from those who have been there or are there now. I am seeing a doctor for the first time since getting Covid. I will ask if he will prescribe a lung X-ray. Keep you guys posted on that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,892 Posts

·
Registered
4,892 Posts

·
Registered
21,621 Posts
There has not been long term clinical testing like other vaccines. I think there could be complications in the future for some that got it. We know so very little about the long term effects of both the virus and the vaccines.
How many hundreds of millions of people will need to get the vaccine and how many years of experience will it take to convince you of their safety? They got WAY more safety testing than the polio or smallpox vaccines ever got. And WAY more than most other vaccines. The downside of covid 19 is well-known, and you know it personally. To the medical community, the risk/reward balance is obvious.

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
How many hundreds of millions of people will need to get the vaccine and how many years of experience will it take to convince you of their safety? They got WAY more safety testing than the polio or smallpox vaccines ever got. And WAY more than most other vaccines. The downside of covid 19 is well-known, and you know it personally. To the medical community, the risk/reward balance is obvious.
Our complete lack of COVID response helped make massive testing trials happen in a fraction of the time predicted. We have never had such a situation... We have certainly had a history of social distancing... We have a burned/bred in sense of not having close neighbors on beaches and in parks... Polio spread in summer and we still don’t know why. But keeping your distance in parks and beaches has a serious history. We did a generation of outdoor social distancing.

Look, I could go on and on about public health models an how and why they work... We just need to do our part. Get the shot. It’s easy.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Way more than other vaccines? Not true. But this is about recovering from covid as it pertains to cycling

·
Registered
442 Posts
Since I got the vaccine, I've noticed that the weight added by all those new tasty antibodies really weighs me down on the hills. I replaced one of my bottle cage bolts with a Ti one to overcome this.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Just a quick update. 4 months post Covid. I have a mix of feeling moderately strong and weak. Legs still tired and sore a lot. Still taking it easy for a few more months. Chest X-ray shows zero issues With the lungs. Thank god. At this point I figure zone two through the end of the year with a few group rides thrown in. I am tracking my HR and power output. Looking forward to the long term comparisons.
ride safe
j

·
I love to climb!
2,042 Posts
I got Covid at the beginning of August. Nothing terrible, but it took a long time to feel like myself, 3 weeks before I went back to work. The last 2 weeks I've ridden, mostly easy, sometimes with some short efforts. Seems like it will probably take another 2-3 weeks before I'm back up to my usual speed. I did just register for a century next weekend, we'll see how far I make it. Tonight's 32 mile ride was fine.

·
Registered
150 Posts
did just register for a century next weekend, we'll see how far I make it. Tonight's 32 mile ride was fine.

Patience Amigo. Too much too soon usually is detrimental. If your lung alveoli is up to it, go with it.

·
I love to climb!
2,042 Posts
did just register for a century next weekend, we'll see how far I make it. Tonight's 32 mile ride was fine.

Patience Amigo. Too much too soon usually is detrimental. If your lung alveoli is up to it, go with it.
I don't know what lung alveoli is. I didn't seem to have much lung issues while I had the disease (very little coughing, etc). I feel I'm most likely to just bonk from not getting enough riding in. It's a supported ride, so if I need to take a SAG wagon, I will.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I avoid using the words “lungs” after my father (a strong athlete in his younger days), had a lung removed, and we self educated on lung functions. 🚴‍♂️

alveoli
Listen to pronunciation
(al-VEE-oh-ly)
Tiny air sacs at the end of the bronchioles (tiny branches of air tubes in the lungs). The alveoli are where the lungs and the blood exchange oxygen and carbon dioxide during the process of breathing in and breathing out. Oxygen breathed in from the air passes through the alveoli and into the blood and travels to the tissues throughout the body. Carbon dioxide travels in the blood from the body's tissues and passes through the alveoli to be breathed out

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I avoid using the words “lungs” after my father (a strong athlete in his younger days), had a lung removed, and we self educated on lung functions. 🚴‍♂️

alveoli
Listen to pronunciation
(al-VEE-oh-ly)
Tiny air sacs at the end of the bronchioles (tiny branches of air tubes in the lungs). The alveoli are where the lungs and the blood exchange oxygen and carbon dioxide during the process of breathing in and breathing out. Oxygen breathed in from the air passes through the alveoli and into the blood and travels to the tissues throughout the body. Carbon dioxide travels in the blood from the body's tissues and passes through the alveoli to be breathed out
Thanks for posting this. Exactly what the Doc i rode with was saying. Takes time for the Alveoli to return to normal function.

·
I love to climb!
2,042 Posts
I avoid using the words “lungs” after my father (a strong athlete in his younger days), had a lung removed, and we self educated on lung functions.

alveoli
Listen to pronunciation
(al-VEE-oh-ly)
Ah. Cool. We'll, I guess my alveoli have healed ok. I could feel a bit of discomfort in my lungs in the first short ride or two after I got over the Covid. But it's now 3 weeks after I felt good enough to go to work, and I did the century I had registered for today. All went well, and I rode even better than I expected. No issues.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts