Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
BS the DC
1,422 Posts
I've seen it many times. I'd like to do the same myself. I've seen a number of cow horns for sale on ebay that came with breaks. Enjoy!

·
Registered
21 Posts
did the same myself

FlatlandRoller said:
Got my first fixie built recently with drops, considering putting on some cowhorns just because, anybody have any comments? It's just that those hoods are just so darn uncomfortable <whine>.
started out with drops and regular hoods myself, and quickly switched to cowhorns with a single 'cross brake lever (mounted right next to the stem).

something to keep an eye out for, if you're ordering new: not all cowhorns are flat across the top. best thing to do is look for a pair of tandem stoker bars.

or, you could just take your drops, flip them over, and cut them off so that they become cowhorns.

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
cowhorns

FlatlandRoller said:
Got my first fixie built recently with drops, considering putting on some cowhorns just because, anybody have any comments? It's just that those hoods are just so darn uncomfortable <whine>.
To me, cowhorns are much more comfortable, especially climbing. On fixed gears, of course you can't sit and spin up hills, so you usually end up at low rpms cranking hard out of the saddle. I've found that the long, straight surface of the cowhorns is great for gripping and pulling and more comfortable than either brake hoods or drops.

The trick with cowhorns is to get the height adjustment right, as there is less choice compared to a drop bar. I think I have a Profile cowhorn (I used on a time trial bike), which rises maybe an inch or two from the forward area to near the stem. You don't need really low bars, though, as chances are you won't be doing much high speed descending, and I suppose you can always bend your arms if you hit a really strong headwind.

Another good thing about cowhorns is that you can use cheap and light Diacompe reverse pull brake lever(s).

·
Registered
129 Posts
Tsunami Toro cowhorns

FlatlandRoller said:
Check out www.chucksbikes.com. He has some excellent cowhorns for $10. Tsunami is Chuck's house brand, I believe. I just got mine and discovered upon inspection that they are actually bars that typically sell for around $55 under a different brand name, just rebadged as Tsunami.

·
Registered
66 Posts
DougSloan said:
To me, cowhorns are much more comfortable, especially climbing. On fixed gears, of course you can't sit and spin up hills, so you usually end up at low rpms cranking hard out of the saddle. I've found that the long, straight surface of the cowhorns is great for gripping and pulling and more comfortable than either brake hoods or drops.

The trick with cowhorns is to get the height adjustment right, as there is less choice compared to a drop bar. I think I have a Profile cowhorn (I used on a time trial bike), which rises maybe an inch or two from the forward area to near the stem. You don't need really low bars, though, as chances are you won't be doing much high speed descending, and I suppose you can always bend your arms if you hit a really strong headwind.

Another good thing about cowhorns is that you can use cheap and light Diacompe reverse pull brake lever(s).

DougSloan, do you mean drop? as opposed to rise? I've never seen bullhorns with ride in them.

Like these Nittos and Mavic bullhorns? Both are really great bars have like two inches of drop.

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
perspective

Trevo said:
DougSloan, do you mean drop? as opposed to rise? I've never seen bullhorns with ride in them.

Like these Nittos and Mavic bullhorns? Both are really great bars have like two inches of drop.
Yes, I mean rise from the front to the stem, or drop from the stem to the front.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
i have this setup

tektro aero levers (one, actually, front brake only) and chuck's tsunami bullhorn bars (syntace). very comfy, and reasonably priced in case you don't like it and decide to go back to traditional road bars.

get the bars and levers from chuck (including shipping) for less than you'd spend on a profile or syntace bar from any internet retailer!

·
angel of the morning
2,984 Posts
road bars, chop and flip them

works well for me. aesthetically i like 'em as well.

it's not rocket science but dont saw them too short (at first). a moderate chop then ride around for some to decide on length and position (pointing up or down). remember to calculate or keep in mind where you will prefer a brake lever to be (if you plan on using one) before you do a final chop.

it's fun to do ....

ciao

·
i like whiskey
8,405 Posts
As usual, J's is spot on!

J's Haiku Shop said:
tektro aero levers (one, actually, front brake only) and chuck's tsunami bullhorn bars (syntace). very comfy, and reasonably priced in case you don't like it and decide to go back to traditional road bars.

get the bars and levers from chuck (including shipping) for less than you'd spend on a profile or syntace bar from any internet retailer!
I have the exact same setup as J's and would echo his comments. Very comfy setup. It's hard to switch back to the drop bars on the (gasp) geared bike after riding the tsunami bullhorns. And for $10, you can hardly go wrong. If you don't like them, someone on this board will take them off your hands.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.