Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am contemplating a Scott CR1 Pro or an Addict R3. The price difference is about 1700 which is significant. But many of the parts on the CR1 are substandard for me so I would have to upgrade wheels (a must), saddle (a must), maybe bars/stem/post, and eventually shifters (to something that has hidden cables such as SRAM or 2009 Shimano).

With the Addict R3, I wouldn't have to upgrade anything really but again, it costs a lot more.

I already have one CR1 Pro (with American Classic 420's, KCNC brakes) but now I need another bike... long story...
Love the CR1... especially coming from light alum bikes in the past. Obviously I like light bikes and riding in hilly areas, used to race Cat 1, but now only from time to time.

With that price difference, which would you choose?

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
A friend just bought the R4. Very nice bike and it was on sale for 800.00 off. He got a great deal and the SL stuff works great.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Buck up for the best you can afford..... even if you have to forego restaurants and other luxuries. Eat at home for cheap. Will the getting the Addict make you faster? Probably not, but you'll be wishing you had bought the Addict every time you ride your "inferior" CR. Throw down. use your credit card.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the input guys...

DraftDodger... hahaha, you said a mouthful in one paragraph!
As far as savings goes... I earn USD and live in Europe... so nothing is on sale or cheap :)

For those unaware of the USD downfall, consider that an Addict R3 cost $5989 MORE in Europe vs the US.... check that wording again... yeah, take the price for the Addict R3 and ADD $5989 and give GW a pat on the back. :) Earlier this year I busted an Ultegra STI shifter and paid $412 for a new one... not a set, a single STI shifter lever.

Luckily I'm heading home for a month and buying at my local shop in the US where, after racing for 10 years at a high level, still helps me out even though I suck now :) It works out such that the R3 is $1750 more than the CR1 Pro. Normally I wouldn't dream of pony-ing up to the Addict price tag but with the reduced rate I am terribly tempted.

Credit cards DraftDodger? :) Despite being from the US, I'm completely against the principle.... I did get my first credit card this year (I'm pushing 30) only because I heard that it helps your credit score (will buy a house in a few years I suppose). I use it to pay a $50 bill once per month, just for giggles, and pay it off a few days later :) Being able to monetarily afford something and justifiably afford something are 2 different things.

But, from what I've learned from my current CR1 setup, I can lose 240 grams on the wheelset by going to a set of American Classic 420, (1770 grams for the Equipes vs 1530 grams for the 420's), and I don't know much about the scott "pro" saddle on the 2008 but the 2007 model came with a Selle Italia C2 B (250 grams) so I got a SLR XP (180gr) to save 70 grams and, ironically, more comfort. Then I also swapped the Ultregra brakes for KCNC CB1 Brakes to save an extra 160 grams (330 grams - 170 grams) and also swapped the Continental Ultra Race (220 grams ... I think) to Schwalbe Ultremo (190 grams) to save 60 grams. Grand total of the 4 upgrades is 530 grams but the cost was about $900.
I also have some 50 gram continental tubes versus the stock tubes but I just sat through 14 hours of Financial Management class on a sunny Friday & Saturday so I'm not going to calculate any further. I have not weighed my current CR1 Pro but I'd guess its around 16lbs with Speedplay X2's.

The Addict R3 is slated at 14.5 lbs, still probably 1.5lbs+ less than my current CR1. Plus I really hate the external shifter cables on 2007-08 shimano shifters so the SRAM shifters are a "plus" for me with the hidden (under-bar-tape) cable routing on the Addict R3. So I would probably upgrade the shifters if I got the CR1 Pro.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Since you are in Europe, have you considered going to Comobike in Italy and getting a De Rosa King 3 or a De Rosa Idol instead of a Scott? You could build it up with anything you want---Sram, the new Super record Campy, Shimano. A King 3 could easily be built up to sub 15lbs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.