Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, this is a bit of a bummer. Came back from my ride and found a crack in the frame while cleaning my baby. It is a vertical crack starting about 5mm below the seat-collar running down and making a 90 degree turn onto the top-tube. The crack is about 9mm in length. Contacted Bianchi USA who (of course) directed me to the closest dealer (since where I bought it a little over 2 years ago had since closed). This dealer was very receptive to helping and said Bianchi is usually very good about replacing the frame in situations like this. They recommenced I leave it with them and not ride it for safety. I post this as it will be a nice case study on how Bianchi handles a warranty situation long after the sale. Either way, the Infinito has been a great bike and my favorite in the stable.

...updates to follow.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can you post a photo of the crack?
Maybe. I left it with the dealer and thought I had a picture before, but must have not saved it. I must say, at this point I am impressed with how interested the dealer, who did not sell me the bike in the first place, is interested in helping me.

That said, I'll try to stop by and take a picture to share with you all tomorrow. It is in the most peculiar location one could think of.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update. So far a very pleasant surprise! The dealer in my town (where I did not originally purchase the bike) has been VERY interested in helping me. Also, the Bianchi Rep. has been by and asked for my receipt in order to process a claim. Word out for putting your receipts in a safe place; not sure he would be able to help me without it. Now the long wait for an answer on the path forward. At least at this point everybody seems interested in a resolution.

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
How much seatpost is going into the frame below the clamp? Sounds like a too short seatpost could cause something like that. Probably defect though.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How much seatpost is going into the frame below the clamp? Sounds like a too short seatpost could cause something like that. Probably defect though.
I'm 5'11 178lbs on a 57cm. The seat post was well below max extension. Also, the crack is in a strange location in that it starts on the top tube and makes a 90 degree turn to run up the seat post. In all, the hairline crack is only about an inch long. When the Bianchi Rep examined it, I am told he said there was no question that it was a defect. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here is a picture of the crack. I noticed a loud "pop" when riding over a dip in the road while seated. Again, I weigh about 178lbs. The Bianchi Rep claimed it was likely just cosmetic and said I could just keep riding it to see if it got worse or send it back to Bianchi USA in California at my expense...including the labor to dis-assemble since they only accept frames/forks for warranty consideration. I sent it this week, so we will see.

Attachments

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My dealer is Big Mommas in Florida (they have been great!). The Rep, well, I don't know. Bianchi has a new "no consumer contact" policy, so I can't tell you. My dealer said that the rep claimed the crck was likely cosmetic NOT from inspection, rather from a picture my dealer sent.

My frame will arrive in California to Bianchi USA on Monday where they will inspect it and offer their solution (if any). Between dis-assembly charges and shipping I am already $200 in at this point.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
For some reason I took your photo and description of the dip in the road and a pop a step further and thought perhaps you were riding in sub-freezing conditions in the North and not Florida.

I often wonder as carbon frames become more prevalent and I see cyclists riding them here in the New England winter, how the composite frames will react to very cold temperatures and frost heaves. As for me, I will take my winter training on my steel frame any winter.

And your crack...seems too coincidental that the crack traverses a major stressful joint for it to be cosmetic. Just imagine what could happen if that seattube fractured.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would hope that carbon lay-ups are temperature extreme tested. The material in proper form and application must be good down to some crazy low temps as it has many aircraft applications. At altitude I would expect the temps to be pretty low.

As for my frame, I am all but certain this is a stress induced fracture based on the "pop", how it happened and where the crack is located. I am hopeful that Bianchi will see it the same way (when my dealer first examined it they quickly came to the same speculation). The frame arrived in Cali today, so I'll keep this thread posted. Historically Bianchi has really stood behind their gear.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Yes, they do stand behind their frames. For me, it was "snapped" Columbus CroMor, Columbus SBX and "torn" SL Lite. No complaints here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Guys,

I,m new to the forum so this is my first post. I have a similar problem. A clunk was originally diagnosed by the dealer as a crack in the bottom bracket. After 4 weeks with Bianchi (different process here, the dealer send photos and a report) Bianchi said no warranty claiim as there is no join in the carbon at that point. The dealer has since found more cracks in the seat tube so I am now waiting for a response on this.

The bottom bracket issue may end up being a red herring as the crack may just be in the paint from a stone hit.

The bike is 3 years old and while it has done some work it has never been crashed.

This is the third Bianchi in the family and the first problem so hopefully they will do the right thing!

Cheers

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Guys,

I,m new to the forum so this is my first post. I have a similar problem. A clunk was originally diagnosed by the dealer as a crack in the bottom bracket. After 4 weeks with Bianchi (different process here, the dealer send photos and a report) Bianchi said no warranty claiim as there is no join in the carbon at that point. The dealer has since found more cracks in the seat tube so I am now waiting for a response on this.

The bottom bracket issue may end up being a red herring as the crack may just be in the paint from a stone hit.

The bike is 3 years old and while it has done some work it has never been crashed.

This is the third Bianchi in the family and the first problem so hopefully they will do the right thing!

Cheers

Sorry to hear it; I know what it feels like. If able, post some pictures and keep us posted on your resolution. Here's to hoping we all end up with a good story to tell.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The latest:

They want to repair the crack, re-paint the repaired area and send it back to me. I'm not too keen on repaired carbon nor a patch paint job. I talk with them about options on Monday.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Maybe they should do that repair and ride it themselves. I'll have to admit, sometimes I feel nervous riding carbon in the first place, never mind a repaired carbon frame.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The latest:

That is really unacceptable for a high end bike manufacturer to even suggest. Doesn't bode well for my situation.

I don't have photos of mine as it is still in the shop but the top tube crack on mine is vary similar to yours near the seat post junction. Also has a crack in the cable entry routes on the top tube and head tube.

Still waiting on a response......

1 - 20 of 41 Posts