Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going uphill when suddenly the rear wheel slammed on the right brake pad and the bike completely stopped. For a second, I thought I had not tightened the quick release and the wheel was loose but no, it was a broken spoke so I carefully inspected the rim and to my big surprise, at the hole where the spoke broke, the carbon fiber was torn down approx. 2 cm long as you can see on the pictures.

I really love these Cirro KOM they feel solid and they accelerate like no other wheels I had before but this is not normal, they have only 500km, never been in a crash or had a flat tire...the lips on both side are still perfect.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
Jeez! That's rotton luck. That rim is toast.

How old are they? Can you get anything from the mfg warantee?

·
century rider
116 Posts
tough luck

how much do you weigh? is there a weight limit on these wheels? I've been wary of carbon wheels coz I weigh much(185) and also don't have the dough. they are very pretty though.
I agree those rims are done for, hope you have luck with mfr warranty.

·
Juanmoretime
2,313 Posts
Failures of any component will and does happen. If no injury was involved I would be happy to hear this but evry company has some failures. What the percentages are is the big question. I think you will hear many less issues with Reynolds verses Zipp.

·
"Cypress Gardens" Fl.
686 Posts
Man, sorry about your rim failure, but thats just one more reason why I dont use carbon. Flame me if you will, but I just cant see spending large coin for a material that will break just to save a few grams.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
call reynolds

get on the phone- give them a call-- I had problems w/ spoke breakage on my rear stratus dv. It was a pain, but they fixed it until they got it right-- no charge to me, they even paid for shipping, although you may want to send the wheel yourself- they use ups ground shipping- if you're on the east coast, that takes 6 days just to get there.

They are however, really good about backing their products-- let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
battaglin said:
how much do you weigh? is there a weight limit on these wheels? I've been wary of carbon wheels coz I weigh much(185) and also don't have the dough. they are very pretty though.
I agree those rims are done for, hope you have luck with mfr warranty.
I weigh a BIG 140lbs so I am sure it was not a factor. I am not sure about the weight limit but at bit over 1000gram the set a big guy like yourself will easily crush them.:D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Juanmoretime said:
Failures of any component will and does happen. If no injury was involved I would be happy to hear this but evry company has some failures. What the percentages are is the big question. I think you will hear many less issues with Reynolds verses Zipp.
Oh yeah, there are many issues with Zipp? What model?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
croswell1 said:
Man, sorry about your rim failure, but thats just one more reason why I dont use carbon. Flame me if you will, but I just cant see spending large coin for a material that will break just to save a few grams.
I have never heard of any failure with the Lightweights wheels....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mdeth1313 said:
get on the phone- give them a call-- I had problems w/ spoke breakage on my rear stratus dv. It was a pain, but they fixed it until they got it right-- no charge to me, they even paid for shipping, although you may want to send the wheel yourself- they use ups ground shipping- if you're on the east coast, that takes 6 days just to get there.

They are however, really good about backing their products-- let us know how it goes.
thanks, I how do like your Stratus, I might change my Cirro for them.

For sure, I will keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have a set of Cirro SV KOMs. I've put about 800 miles on them. I weigh between 195 and 215 lbs. depending on the time of year. These wheels are pretty strong in my opinion, I don't worry at all even at 215 lbs.

I would get in touch with Reynolds. By the look of your sticker set, you should be within the warranty period and they are pretty easy to work with.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is unbelievable, after one month and a half, I finally got at the end of July a new wheel from Reynolds and today (three weeks or 300 km after) BOUM!!! I still can't believe it, the new wheel broke once again, the same way, one hole at the nipple cracked!!! I was rolling on the flat at about 40km/h when it happened, the rear tire hit the chainstay and I almost lost control of the bike and crash. This is very frustrating, some clear coat was ripped off at the chainstay:evil:

Tomorrow I will contact my bike shop and this time I will try to get a refund from Reynolds.

·
Burning Fists of Love
6,899 Posts
well hey

Johnny_Yutah said:
I weigh a BIG 140lbs so I am sure it was not a factor. I am not sure about the weight limit but at bit over 1000gram the set a big guy like yourself will easily crush them.:D
IMO, this is a design issue. Periode. The material, even for the wheel, should not matter.

Personally, I stay away from any design with min spokes (under 30 per wheel). However, I have also known clydsdales like myself (195) who have ridden Shimano wheel sets and no issues after a few thousand miles. It could also be riding style.

Some folks (myself included) are hard on equipment. I avoisd pot holes, curbs etc etc, but still, unless I have a great build, problems happen. My current wheel set has been my joy for over 10,000 miles as I have had them trued (very minor) once. CXP-33's 36 spioek triple laved with straight gauge 15 spokes. Please understand, this is not a smack down on zooty wheels, its just been my experience.

·
Chili hed & old bike fixr
1,197 Posts
When Lew

was selling those wheels they were only for mountain stages for very light riders as they were not designed for constant use. This was related to me by a Lew employee and he also said that they were getting too many failures due to people using them full time or being used by heavier riders. We passed on the Lew Wheels entirely and got Zipp with no regrets yet.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.