Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· RoadBikeRider
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI,

Was on my club ride this AM on my 2006 Litespeed Firenze and heard a popping sound coming from the bike that I have never heard before. Thought it was in the driveline somewhere but it went away quickly so I dismissed it. After the ride while cleaning the bike up I found a 2" hairline crack on the left side chainstay just in front of the rear dropout...bummer!!!!!!!!!! I never in my wildest dreams thought this would ever happen to my titanium frame. I bought the bike 7 months ago in new/unused condidtion from a private party. Does anyone know if there is any type of warranty for this frame? Can it be welded? Should I stay off the bike until it is repaired? Ti is not supposed to do this!

Thanks for any feedback.

· Steaming piles of opinion
10,520 Posts
The warranty is only lifetime or so.

http://www.litespeed.com/2008/warranty.aspx

Get it to the dealer. Maybe could ride it, but now that you've admitted that you knew about it and rode anyway, the lawsuit following the crash wouldn't turn out nearly so well.

And you are right, Ti isn't supposed to do that. Neither is Carbon, Steel, or Aluminum, but it's easy to find tales of frame failures from top-notch manufacturers in all of the above.

I've heard that the Litespeed folk are pretty good about warranty work.

· Registered
5,555 Posts
"The above warranty applies to Litespeed titanium frames for the lifetime of the bicycle, redeemable only by the original owner when purchased through an authorized Litespeed dealer."

I think if you didn't buy it new from a dealer you are SOL. But call your local LS dealer anyway...

· Registered
24 Posts
If litespeed won't repair it and nothing is bent, most precision tig welding shops can make a repair like that. It will however have a welding bead that is not in asthetically appealing spot, but it will be functional. Check to see if the shop has a "tank" to weld ti, if not sometimes open atmophere welding and high heat can leave ti with a cool shade of yellow, purple, or blue and I know how some guys "must" have a purdy bike to impress people on those important group ride.

· RoadBikeRider
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone,

Unfortunately the original owner is in Tennesee so that is not doable. I did contact Litespeed via e amil and have not heard back yet...it is a weekend. I will also drop by the local Litespeed dealer to see what they have to say. And I did talk to William Holland via e mail yesterday (he seems like a very nice guy) and if anybody can fix it here in San Diego...he is the guy. I don't mind having a "scar" or even some discoloration on the chainstay..as long as the crack is gone.

T

· Registered
863 Posts
Mr_Snips2 said:
If that all fails talk to calfee. They have done numerous repairs on CF and stuff like that but i'm not sure about titanium stuff.
I'm not sure Calfee is the guy for the job. AFAIK, he pretty much specializes in carbon fiber. Any of the custom Ti frame builders should be able to help as well. I have a Litespeed, and live about 2 hours from their factory. So far it has been bombproof, and I think they will be willing to help in some way, even though you aren't the original owner.

· RoadBikeRider
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Photo of crack

Hi again, Thanks for all the ideas. Just thought I would include a photo of the damage to give a better idea of what it is. Keep in mind it is quite magnified here and the crack is approx 2" in length. The tubing seen in the photo here is roughly the same size as an index finger.

278 Posts
SleeveleSS said:
I was under the impression that most if not all 3/2.5 tubes are drawn, but 6/4 has to be folded and welded along the seam because it is too hard/brittle to be drawn. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Most tubes are drawn, the bigger sizes (1.75" O.D. and up) are often rolled, welded, ground and polished. That chainstay tube is most likely 3/4" or 7/8" O.D. drawn tubing.

No matter who fixes this, if there's any blue, purple or pink in the repair, it was done wrong. I would never recommend asking a welding shop that doesn't specialize in welding ti to fix a ti frame. It'll have to be back-purged if it's going to be welded. Hopefully whoever is chosen to repair this decides to replace the stay. Unless LiteSpeed does it under warantee, it's not going to be cheap.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.