Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

This is my first time I post on a forum :).
Basically I think I need your opinions to figure from where the strange noise comes from my bike.

I will do a small introduction first.
I think I have 2 cracks near my bottom bracket.So because I thought that I have guarantee so I contacted my dealer of specialized in my country Greece.
He told me that the frame over there is very thick so its impossible to be a crack and propably was a tiny rock that did the colour damage.

All these was like 2 months ago like february 2013.SO I said ok at least I will not worry If its a frame damage propably is something else.

So today I rode my bike and on the hills specially when I stand on my legs and I am riding off saddle the more I was pushing the more I could hear a noice like tsin tsin like let me explain better like If you have a tape and you want to take it out slowly and you hear the glue.Or another example to describe better will be If your tyres are low bar pressure that you hear the noice of all the tyre touching the road.

This noice occures I think when I push more with my right leg.Never when I am on saddle always when I am off saddle.

I will post you now some pictures of my road bike and I hope you will answer me back.

Sorry for any grammatical mistake.

Kindest regards,

Georgios

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
He's screwing with you.
If you would have said it was with both feet, I'd suggest that you look at your front skewer and tighten it up. But as it's just your right, it may not be it, BUT, I suggest you open your skewer and make sure it is nice and tight.
The problem with cracks is they will propagate. In the structural metal world (airframes/etc) if you get a crack you drill a hole at each end (this stops the crack propagation) and put a doubler on it. I'd start looking into my warranty, keep riding the bike (I'd say ride it hard) but start the process.

·
So. Calif.
2,800 Posts
There is a lot more force & twisting applied to the cranks & frame when you are out of saddle, so not suprising that's when you hear noises.

It's hard to tell from your pictures, if that's a real frame crack or simply a paint defect.

However , it's NOT true that it is "impossible" to crack in the bottom bracket. Couple years ago, a friend's SWorks SL2 cracked at the bottom bracket -- Specialized (USA) replaced his frame with an SL3.

Creaking noises can originate in many places, and it can be hard to identify the precise locations. Anywhere metal contacts metal or carbon, can be a source of noises. Things to check include:

- apply very thin layer grease to the frame lugs (where wheel axle clamps to frame): both sides of lugs, and also inside the curved surface.

- light grease on full length of skewers.

- 1-2 drops oil to the mechanism of the skewer's cam & lever.

- chain rings & crank. Apply small amount of penetrating oil (Liquid Wrench or similar) where crank "spider" attaches to chainrings. If it quiets down, a more permanent solution is remove chainrings and apply grease to those contact surfaces.

- handlebar and stem contact points , but don't use grease, only "carbon friction paste"

- do wheel bearings and crank bearings turn smoothly? Remove wheels, and remove chain from chainrings, to check these.

- shoe cleats contacting pedals can make noises. "Dry" silicone lubes can help.

By the way, what part of Greece do you live in, and how is the road biking in Greece?

I've visited many times, but always rent cars. I've often thought some cycling would be a great experience, especially in the beatuiful countryside, coastal, and mountain areas -- but the Greek drivers scare me and it seems dangerous!!

Greece does not have the cycling history & traditions Italy does, and it seems the Greeks might not be as respectful of cyclists.

On many roads I see the small, permanent, roadside memorials where presumably people died in collisions?! is that true?

·
Registered
460 Posts
I see a line on the chain stay. Is that the crack that is suspect? Did you isolate every possible source like bottom bracket, pedals etc..

I once had a creaking on my bike as I pedal. I didn't think it was the frame as nothing is visible. Since I hear the creak every time I pedal, I told the shop to check and replace the bottom bracket. BB was replaced, but didn't go away. It turned out it is coming from the right pedal. Replaced pedal and creaking disappeared.

You have to isolate every possible source.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He's screwing with you.
If you would have said it was with both feet, I'd suggest that you look at your front skewer and tighten it up. But as it's just your right, it may not be it, BUT, I suggest you open your skewer and make sure it is nice and tight.
The problem with cracks is they will propagate. In the structural metal world (airframes/etc) if you get a crack you drill a hole at each end (this stops the crack propagation) and put a doubler on it. I'd start looking into my warranty, keep riding the bike (I'd say ride it hard) but start the process.

Hello,
Thank you so much for your time.Yes I tighten it up a lot and the noice still comes.I will look a lot with my warranty and I will not let it up.If I am right I will reclaim my right.Again thank you so much you benn so helpufull by looking and commenting my post.Thank you so much and I hope I hear more opinions

·
Registered
21,725 Posts
I think I have 2 cracks near my bottom bracket.
Tap test: using a coin or other metal object (screwdriver blade, allen wrench) tap the frame all around the "crack" area. If there is a crack you will hear a change in the sound when you tap right at the crack. The sound will be more "dead" compared to the sound elsehwere.

However noises come from all kinds of places on the bike and people are often fooled. It is fairly common to have clicking noises, but ticks and clicks are very hard to eliminate sometimes. What seems like it is tied to the pedals may be coming from the seat post, etc. Sometimes things like temperature and humidity can affect noises as well. Also, things like the front derailleur cage just hitting the crank, loose bottle cage bolts, or the front derailleur cable sticking out and hitting your shoe can seem like they are clicks but really aren't. Another thing to consider is that the frame and components are flexing from pedaling forces, and so you can get a click or creak sound where you think it couldn’t be – for example the seat post & clamp can make noise even when you are standing and pedaling due the frame flexing. Here’s a link if you don’t like reading the rest of this post: Bicycle Touring Tips, Lessons Learned, and Tricks of the Trade

Clicks tied to your pedaling can come from
- BB (grease all threads in contact with the frame and BB, all metal to metal contact surfaces, and torque to the recommended settings, which can be quite high), the faces of tapered BB axles if they have a little corrosion
- bolt holding the BB cable guide onto the frame (grease threads and make sure the bolt is not touching the BB shell inside the frame)
- crank bolts (grease threads and washers)
- chain ring bolts (take them all out and grease the threads, the faces where they contact the CRs, and the CRs where they contact the crank spider arms)
- a dirty chain, inadequately lubed chain, stiff link in a chain or a burr on one of the "break off" special links used to assemble the chain
- front derailleur clamp (clean and put a light film of grease on the inside of the clamp where it touches the seat tube)
- the pedals (grease the threads and the shoulders of the axle where it butts against the crank arm, get some wax, silicone etc. on the cleats, check for play in the bearings, squirt some lube into the guts of the pedal machinery if possible)
- shoes/cleats - loose cleat nut rattling around in the shoe sole, shoe/cleat interface, cleat bolts, cleats touching pedals (wax lube, silicone, or furniture polish)
- seat post and saddle (grease the post, seat post bolts, saddle rails, and add some oil to where the rails go into the saddle body)
- bars and stem (grease the stem where it clamps to steerer or goes into the steerer if quill type, top cap, stem bolts at both ends, h'bar bolt if quill stem, and h'bar where it goes through the stem)
- grease/tighten QRs and where the hub axle contacts the frame
- tighten cassette lock ring, grease cassette hub body and cassette spacers
- grease steerer tube spacers (if threadless)
- replaceable derailleur hangers (remove, clean, grease all parts and threads, reassemble)
- any other bolt (bottle cages, derailleur clamps, derailleur bolts, shift cable casing stops, etc.)
- cables hitting the frame (cable donuts), or shifting in their end ferrules (lube contact points).

Wheels can make noises when pedaling or coasting (check for spoke tension, particularly on the rear non drive side, put a drop of lube where each pair of spokes cross and where each spoke enters the rim and the hub flange, check for loose metal bits or spoke nipples in the body of the rim and cracks in the rim at spoke holes.).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello Mr Tom.

First of all I would like to thank you for your text.I think it was very detailed.
I am from Corfu Greece.Yes I think my bike is very well maintenance.I have a very good mechanic in Corfu.
Tomorrow I will give him my bike so he can check it by himself.I hope it will not be a problem of my frame.I know we can not be accurate in the forums but I am looking forward to hear opinions.I hope my frame is ok because it will be very hard for me to paying a new one.If you want any videos or more pictures please feel free of asking.
Kindest regards,

George

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello Mr.Midlie,

I had situations like yours.I remember some times friends told me George its your pedals makin all these noice.So I said ok.The bb is brand new like max 2 3 weeks old.I will check for the pedal.

As again tomorrow I will give it to my mechanic so he rides it.I hope all will be ok.By the way I really think that specialized is not so good brand.Like for example easily can get damaged like it creates easily troubles to the riders.I think specialized its only fame but action 0 only zero.

Again I want to thank everyone cause u been very very kind and detailed so tomorrow I will give to my mechanic all your details so he takes a lot of opinions.

The moment I know more I will contact you all :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mr Kerry,

Thank you so much for your time and your detailed message.I think you been very kind of writing all that message.I will gather all your thoughts and the moment I find the time I will pass everything to my mechanic in Corfu.I want to be sure that I do everything before I accuse my warranty dealer in Athens Greece,.

I wish If I could somehow give you more informations.If you want more informations or more photos feel free to ask me.I feel so so honoured by you.
I feel so honoured by having your free time and willing so much to help me.
I will gather your good opinions and pass them to my good mechanic in Corfu.

Once again thank you everyone Kindest
Regards,

George

·
So. Calif.
2,800 Posts
- seat post and saddle (grease the post, seat post bolts, saddle rails, and add some oil to where the rails go into the saddle body)

- bars and stem (grease the stem where it clamps to steerer or goes into the steerer if quill type, top cap, stem bolts at both ends, h'bar bolt if quill stem, and h'bar where it goes through the stem)
Kerry,
very complete list!

But I would take exception to greasing the components I've highlighted in red, if any of those components are carbon fiber.

IMO, use only "friction paste" on carbon-to-carbon or carbon-to-metal surfaces. Else, those parts can slip with catastrophic consequences & injuries.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Just to throw out some anecdotal information...

I have several friends that own or have owned Specialized S-Works frames in various formats. Of those, 8 have had their frames crack around the BB. One fellow has been through 5 frames in 5 years. I don't know if they've fixed the problem yet, but it has been a problem.

Props to Specialized though, in every case the rider got a free replacement with no hassle.

·
Registered
21,725 Posts
But I would take exception to greasing the components I've highlighted in red, if any of those components are carbon fiber.

IMO, use only "friction paste" on carbon-to-carbon or carbon-to-metal surfaces. Else, those parts can slip with catastrophic consequences & injuries.
CF is not degraded by grease, and the "assembly paste" is basically grease with some fine grit in it. The reason not to use grease is if the parts slip with grease and appropriate fastener torque. If the parts don't slip, grease is fine. If the parts slip, assembly paste is the next step. I've been using grease on a CF seat post for nearly a decade with no issues at all.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.