Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I was changing a tube on my 1 year old Canyon racing bike (which itself was excruciating), and when finally done, i noticed a very thin line going from one side of the rim, across through the spokes, and the other side of the rim. I hadn't seen it there before but it could have been there all along as a design quirk. It's also a very consistently straight line, suggesting something that didn't crack from riding. Photo attached. Anyone know whether this is by design, or instead a new crack? Or is there some test whereby I can determine on my own?

thanks!

Bicycle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle tire

·
Banned Sock Puppet
16,153 Posts
A sleeved rim at the joint?

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
A sleeved rim at the joint?
Wouldn’t that be painted over? They’d paint then join and glue the rim pieces? It sure looks intentional, it’s so perfect. It’s a quality wheel...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Banned Sock Puppet
16,153 Posts
Wouldn’t that be painted over? They’d paint then join and glue the rim pieces?
Not necessarily. Some rims are just pinned or sleeved rather than welded. It keeps costs down. See pic below of one of my DT Swiss R460's. Joint is to the right. Perfectly normal:

Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire Bicycle wheel

·
Banned Sock Puppet
16,153 Posts
He was probably too exhausted after changing that excruciatingly difficult flat to look at the other wheel.
To be fair, tubeless compatible rims have made mounting and dismounting tires a real byotch. Granted there is a trick to mounting on these rims, but some rim-tire combos are just impossible to work with. I had a WTB rim-tire combo that I simply could not separate the tire from the bead without a bead jack and even with one was no walk in the park.

·
Registered
23,035 Posts
Crack or line on Canyon carbon front rim
It's not a carbon rim.
DT Swiss E1800 is an aluminum rim.
Aluminum rims have to be joined. Quality Alum rims will be welded and you won't see the seam. Cheaper ones will be butted and sleeved.
You probably didn't notice it before because the seam was painted over. After riding, it flexed a bit and split the paint over the seam.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
It's not a carbon rim.
Aluminum rims have to be joined. Quality Alum rims will be welded and you won't see the seam. Cheaper ones will be butted and sleeved.
You probably didn't notice it before because the seam was painted over. After riding, it flexed a bit and split the paint over the seam.
And the seam will be exactly opposite of the valve hole.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It's not a carbon rim.
That rim isn't painted, it's anodized.

"Butted and sleeved"?
Surely sleeved. Butted at the joint I don't think so.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts