Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
$4000 bike - two bit legs
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or should be titled: "Why you should replace older components"

I was planning a long ride today, but waking up to pounding thunderstorms killed that idea. The rain stopped around 10am, so I dashed out to do some hill repeats about 2 miles from home. I'm leaving for Colorado in two weeks, so I need to get some hill training in. On my third or fourth climb of this one particularly nasty hill, I noticed that my saddle was tilting upward and kinda loose. No big deal, I'll stop and inspect it at the top of the hill. Nope. I sat down on the saddle and the post promptly sheared off. I was almost impalled on the protruding seatpost. That would have ruined my day, ruined my bibs, and ruined part of my gastroenterology system.

This particular seatpost was on my "rainy" day bike seeing that my primary bike is boxed up ready to be shipped tomorrow. The seatpost on this bike was seeing time on it's third bike. It must have been ten + years old. One of the bolts that hold the saddle bracket to the top splintered and broken the latch mechanism. I am so lucky this happened 3 miles from home vs 40 miles from home (if the weather had been nice).

So replace those old seatposts, bars, helmets, stems, etc...'cause you never know when they'll go.....

·
Super Moderator
19,599 Posts
I had a similar incident on my (at that time) 15 year old steel bike. I had Campy Super Record components on it.

I was cruising down a flat street when all of a sudden the saddle fell off the back of the bike. Thank goodness I had both hands on the bars and I was just barely able to keep myself from falling backwards off the bike. When I came to a stop I followed the trail of parts - the seat bracket, the sheared-in-half seat bracket bolt and my saddle lying on the ground.

Looked like after years of riding and 35,000+ miles the seat bracket bolt gave up the ghost and bought the farm. Couldn't repair it. I had to call and get a ride back home.

A few months later the steel chromed Columbus SL fork on that bike sheared off just below the crown as I was starting a ride. I was fortunate enough to not have been injured at all in either incident. I took the hint and got myself a new bike. The old steel frame bike I now use as a "Starbucks" bike.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
What kind of seatpost ?

·
Premium Member
20,696 Posts
I called 911 for a guy that had the same problem. He wasn't as lucky. Part of my ride today took me on a section of MUT that goes for 7 miles in one direction and dead ends. It's popular with cyclists because nobody uses it. I was about a mile from the end when I see this guy laying on the ground. His seatpost broke and he took a hard spill. He had real bad road rash and probably a broken hip. EMS had to come in a four wheeler because the ambulance couldn't get down the MUT

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,513 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
I called 911 for a guy that had the same problem. He wasn't as lucky. Part of my ride today took me on a section of MUT that goes for 7 miles in one direction and dead ends. It's popular with cyclists because nobody uses it. I was about a mile from the end when I see this guy laying on the ground. His seatpost broke and he took a hard spill. He had real bad road rash and probably a broken hip. EMS had to come in a four wheeler because the ambulance couldn't get down the MUT
Eagh. That's why you ride with a cell. The EMS has 4 wheelers? Were you in a state park or something? I cant say I've ever seen a 4-wheel near the hospital...
-estone2

·
Premium Member
20,696 Posts
It was a city park. EMS drove as close as they could get towing the four wheeler on a trailer.. The four wheeler was actually pretty cool. It had a flat rack on the back for a stretcher. They look the guy back to the ambulance strapped on the back of the 4 wheeler.

For you DFW area people this was River Legecy Park in Arlington

·
Registered
955 Posts
Seatpost

I am still using a Campi Nuova Record two bolt seatpost. I always comforted myself by thinking that it was overbuilt. I hope that is the case. So far it has never given me a day of trouble. Maybe one day I will replace it with the Nitto Jaguar. At present I don't feel like spending $100.

·
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
American Classic

MR_GRUMPY said:
What kind of seatpost ?
But it was about ten years old, used in at least three bikes, and lots and lots of miles. It died a happy death. I replaced it today with a no-name, aluminum seatpost. Hey, it is for my rainy day bike afterall.

FYI: It was an AC brand, but I got my money out of it and would buy another.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
Kinda makes you wonder about old frames, doesn't it? How many are riding frames and forks that are 10 - 20 yrs old or older?

OK. This is me raising my hand.

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,513 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
It was a city park. EMS drove as close as they could get towing the four wheeler on a trailer.. The four wheeler was actually pretty cool. It had a flat rack on the back for a stretcher. They look the guy back to the ambulance strapped on the back of the 4 wheeler.

For you DFW area people this was River Legecy Park in Arlington
Wow that's cool. So was the 4 wheeler really long? I've seen some that are like 10 feet long...
-estone2

·
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When I told my wife last night...

Mr. Versatile said:
Kinda makes you wonder about old frames, doesn't it? How many are riding frames and forks that are 10 - 20 yrs old or older?

OK. This is me raising my hand.
When I told her my experience of that morning snapping the seatpost...her response was unusual for her...
What I expected: "Did you get hurt?? How far did you walk??"

What I heard: "Paul, things wear out. You can't just jump on your second bike after months of non-use and expect everything to work. Do you check these things?? Do you update your components??"" Hmmmmm....maybe this is a good time to whip out the credit card and start buying "updates" for the rainy day bike.....Hmmmmm....afterall, she told me to do it.

·
n00bsauce
13,627 Posts
Paul, this is a rare occurence, both the post breaking (sounds like it was actually the bolt) and your wife's comments. DO NOT hesitate to take advantage of this opening. He who hestitates is lost. You've got more than a foot in the door, man. Muscle your way through that door and collect your rightful reward!

·
Banned
4,302 Posts
PaulCL said:
Or should be titled: "Why you should replace older components"

I was planning a long ride today, but waking up to pounding thunderstorms killed that idea. The rain stopped around 10am, so I dashed out to do some hill repeats about 2 miles from home. I'm leaving for Colorado in two weeks, so I need to get some hill training in. On my third or fourth climb of this one particularly nasty hill, I noticed that my saddle was tilting upward and kinda loose. No big deal, I'll stop and inspect it at the top of the hill. Nope. I sat down on the saddle and the post promptly sheared off. I was almost impalled on the protruding seatpost. That would have ruined my day, ruined my bibs, and ruined part of my gastroenterology system.

This particular seatpost was on my "rainy" day bike seeing that my primary bike is boxed up ready to be shipped tomorrow. The seatpost on this bike was seeing time on it's third bike. It must have been ten + years old. One of the bolts that hold the saddle bracket to the top splintered and broken the latch mechanism. I am so lucky this happened 3 miles from home vs 40 miles from home (if the weather had been nice).

So replace those old seatposts, bars, helmets, stems, etc...'cause you never know when they'll go.....
I had a U.S.E. Alien carbon post go snappo on me last season. No warning just tooling along, hit a slight bump and CRACK!! my ass falls perilously close to the spinning rear tire. 4 years old (the post,not me) , I weigh between 165-170lbs depending on the time of year. Had to ride 5 miles standing up, wasn't all that horrible aside from pain in my left halmstring as I recall.

Wasn't the carbon that broke btw, it was the CNCed attachment mechanism at the top that snapped.

·
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was thinking the same thing this morning

woodcycl said:
This thread has me worried now about my 1992 Trek 5200!! ... especially the original carbon fork that is still being used! There is just NO way that if a fork fails ... you don't get hurt in a big way.
I was back on the bike with a new seatpost today. I started thinking about fatiguing parts so much that I stopped and took a hard look at my 6 year old aluminum handlebars. Then I was looking down at my inexpensive CF fork. Then thinking about my inexpensive Tawainese frame bought at chucksbikes.com (a Tsunami). Then I realized that I can inspect all I want, but odds are I wont' find anything. Just replace important parts on a good interval and hope. I've got a better chance of hitting a pothole and going down while daydreaming about fatiguing parts than the parts breaking.

·
Banned
657 Posts
I just bought a hard to find Thomson 26.8 seatpost off Ebay for my Zaskar & am sending it back. Advertised as in "excellent condition w/ few miles". Well, the post has ripples in the mid section where the seat clamp was severely overtightened. I would not sell this item to anybody! I can see how this type abuse of a post could result in a bad outcome. What did you do to yours, Paul?

·
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Did nothing to it

venus said:
I just bought a hard to find Thomson 26.8 seatpost off Ebay for my Zaskar & am sending it back. Advertised as in "excellent condition w/ few miles". Well, the post has ripples in the mid section where the seat clamp was severely overtightened. I would not sell this item to anybody! I can see how this type abuse of a post could result in a bad outcome. What did you do to yours, Paul?
One of the bolts that hold the clamp to the post sheared off taking off part of the post too. If the post had broken at or near the clamp, then I would have felt like it was my fault. Nope, just time and fatigue.

·
GeoCyclist
655 Posts
Bike Maintenance with Torque wrench?

How many of you wrench on your bikes with a torque wrench? I started using a Torque wrench after my Deda Black Stick seat post broke; apparently from over tightening of the seat clamp bolt (See Photo Below). I didn’t argue the failure with Deda, as I can’t honestly say I didn’t over tighten the seat bolt. After using a torque wrench, I find it surprising how little force is required to sufficiently tighten the majority of bolts on a bike.

Another one of my seat post failure stories came from a misfortunate mountain biking experience. I was out hammering on a BORROWED mountain bike. I came off the third of a series of jumps to find there was no longer a seat attached at the top of the post. My cycling buddy found me lying on the side of the track in the fetal position. Yeah, not a good day out on the bike! Turned out this failure was caused by the bolt snapping at the rail clamp. Maybe another failure resulting from too much muscle power during the wrenching???

You all be careful on how much torque you’re putting on those bike bolts!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.