Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a new bike a couple of weeks ago and rode a 100k ride and about 50 miles of training rides. I was cleaning the bike and when I turned it over I noticed a crack about 1/2 inch long going sideways on the the large tube going up to the handlebars about 2 inches up from the bottom bracket. The crack is in the clearcoat not in the carbon of the tube. My question is - is that crack going to be a problem? Will it be a problem with the the integrity of the the tube or be a safety issue?

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Brush some fingernail polish in a contrasting color over the crack. If the fingernail polish forms a similar crack, you have a problem. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it. And the good news is, you can remove the fingernail polish whenever you want.
Also, you will need to cover over the "cracked" area, if the carbon has not been cracked itself, anyways. If the carbon has been cracked, then you will need to get it repaired immediately if it's in contact with aluminum, as moisture will only make your CF-aluminum interface problem worse. Edited

·
Not a rocket surgeon.
9,402 Posts
+1 Great Advice! Also, you will need to cover over the "cracked" area, if the carbon has not been cracked itself, anyways. If the carbon has been cracked, then you will need to repair it immediately, as moisture will only make your CF problem worse.
Carbon is not effected by water. Its not cardboard.

·
Burnum Upus Quadricepus
2,017 Posts
Before doing anything, go back to your dealer.

You don't want to mess up your warranty.

I'm not saying they will warranty it for a clearcoat crack. And I'm not saying they won't warranty it if you play with nail polish and subsequently discover it ain't just a clearcoat crack.

But with only 150 miles on the bike, why wouldn't you go back to the dealer with a defect of any kind?

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Before doing anything, go back to your dealer.

You don't want to mess up your warranty.

I'm not saying they will warranty it for a clearcoat crack. And I'm not saying they won't warranty it if you play with nail polish and subsequently discover it ain't just a clearcoat crack.

But with only 150 miles on the bike, why wouldn't you go back to the dealer with a defect of any kind?
+1 This actually the best advice!

·
Not a rocket surgeon.
9,402 Posts
I just took 4 carbon headset spacers that weigh 11 grams and put them in a jar of water. I will heat the water to boiling and wait untill it cools. All with the spacers soaking. I am going to reweigh them in a bit. Maybe a couple of hours. I will see what they weigh. They have raw cut ends so maybeeeeeeee?

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
What Bruce said. Might as well try to work the warranty before anything.

My seatstay has a crack in clearcoat, but the bike is well past warranty. Taping around the area stopped it from spreading (and letting lethal rain drops and sun rays from making the carbon dissolve). Not the ideal "fix" by any means, but to this day, it's proven to be a non-issue as far as integrity goes. And I'm not riding on smooth roads by any means either.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
View attachment 282644 Thanks for all the advice. I had issues with another frame and the company sent this new bike to my dealer as a replacement. I rode 68 miles in the Tulsa Tough ride and some 15 - 30 mile training rides and have only had this bike for a couple of weeks. I think I'll get with the company direct. I don't think the clearcoat should crack. View attachment 282643 View attachment 282644 Check these pics out and let me know what you think.

·
Frog Whisperer
41,018 Posts
I just took 4 carbon headset spacers that weigh 11 grams and put them in a jar of water. I will heat the water to boiling and wait untill it cools. All with the spacers soaking. I am going to reweigh them in a bit. Maybe a couple of hours. I will see what they weigh. They have raw cut ends so maybeeeeeeee?
um......what are you doing with a scale that sensitive/accurate?...hmmmmm?

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Carbon is not effected by water. Its not cardboard.
Moisture will mostly effect carbon-aluminum interfaces. That's especially where salt water is concerned.
The bottle cage mounts in my frame are open...I don't put bolts in them unless I'm using cages. Hasn't caused any damage yet, and those holes are bigger than a crack.

Moisture will not harm carbon fibre.
Moisture will mostly harm bicycle frames at carbon fiber-aluminum interfaces. This is particularly true with salt water.

·
Registered
6,882 Posts

Excellent read!

Up until reading this article, I've always thought that carbon fiber composite would completely lock out water molecules. But apparently this is not the case at all.

Now folks on RBR may not care if their carbon frame deform a bit (even if barely) due to hygroscopic, but folks in the aerospace industry might care quite a bit.

Thanks for the article

(I tried to rep you but apparently I have to spread my reputation around before I can rep you again!)

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Now folks on RBR may not care if their carbon frame deform a bit (even if barely) due to hygroscopic, but folks in the aerospace industry might care quite a bit.
Nothing like going from atmospheric pressure to a vacuum and freezing/heating conditions with a component that absorbed water.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.