Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed a crack (broken weld) along the bottom bracket of my 7005 Alum. frame. Please tell me this if fixable? I REALLY don't want to go thru the hassle of replacing this bike (tandem). It's not under warranty.

Can't it simply be welded?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
not repairable IIRC, AL frames are heat treated and a TIG weld repair would destroy that...it might be possible somehow to have the heat treatment and paint redone but that would cost waaay more than a new frame

·
Registered
140 Posts
I forget the name, but on MTBR in the SS forum - FAQ
There is someone there that does repair work on aluminum frames.
He also retrofits standard BB to EBB for SS use.
I would start there.

·
Registered
301 Posts
A friend just told me about his broken C'dale tandem - broken at the bottom bracket just like Slowmo's. Either these bikes have problems or he is Slowmo. Where does Slowmo live?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Throw the frame in the recycling bin. I've busted two Cannondale frames (f course, getting hit by a car would probably bust any frame, so maybe that shouldn't count). For aluminum frames, this is the price you pay for lightness.

·
Registered
323 Posts
It certainly can be fixed but it might not make much sense to do so.

It would need to be rewelded, heat treated and then get a complete refinish. Even after all this you won't have a new bike but one that will be more prone to the problem you had in the first place.

I'm sorry but I think it's time for a new frame.

dave

·
Banned
3,060 Posts
It could be repaired. But why? The money and time it will take you to have it done properly could be better used toward a new frame of any material.

Some things have short life spans. Your frame is one of them. If your frame lacks a warranty whether it's used or off-brand, now would be your opportunity to move on.

Take what you've learned about this frame and get a new one.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies. I haven't had this bike too long (okay, one week to be exact), and it truly has less than 100 miles on it. Set in a guys garage for the past 7 years (it's an 02 model). It wasn't cracked when I got it - I checked it all out thoroughly - especially the bottom bracket; so I'm not going back to him to claim my money back. The entire weld isn't broke, but I hate to be in the middle of nowhere with my 9 yr old the back and it break all the way.
It's just bad karma I guess.

·
POGUE MAHONE
1,063 Posts
Are you sure it's the metal that's cracked? I've had more than one aluminum frame where I thought the weld was broken, cleaning some of the paint away revealed it was just the finish not the metal that was cracked.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts