Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old, steel Miyata Team Edition road bike I converted to a fixie using a ENO hub. I am in the middle of a long overdue spring cleaning at the moment, and I noticed a crack where the rear brake bridge meets the seat stay. The crack goes through two independent layers of paint so I'm pretty sure its the metal itself that is cracking.

However, since there is no brake on the brake bridge anymore (front only) is this a critical issue? I'm trying to figure out if I can ride on it at least for another season or if I have to bring it in to have that fixed, and while I'm at it go for the re-painting, track ends, boss removal, etc. I have been planning on doing to it, someday.

·
Done with winter.
2,635 Posts
Whether or not you have a brake on it, it's still a structural support for the rear triangle. Riding it might put more stress on the top of the seat stays and cause them to weaken.

You might be totally fine and it'll never break any further but if it were me, I'd have it fixed (har).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.