Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

My carradice lowsaddle longflap arrived yesterday from STJStreet cycles.

It's a great product and I can see why they're so highly rated and, unfortunately, highly priced.

That said, the dowel is cracked on the end past one of the strap eyelets. It's a noticeable crack and I imagine it will stress with weight once the bag is used. I emailed STJcycles to address the problem but haven't heard back.

Assuming they deny that it's their problem to fix, and since I'm in the good ole USA and can't really contest it too much with them, does anyone have any recommendations on how to remedy the cracked dowel?

Are there any companies/craftsmen in America you recommend that could fix the problem? Do I need to get a new dowel? Will a metal dowel work?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Without pictures of the crack and the dowel it will be hard for any of us to recommend a solution. That said, replacing the dowel should be pretty straightforward> a couple of dollars and a half hour of your time. Welcome to the forum.

singlecross

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
I understand your frustration but that should be a pretty simple problem to remedy. You could squirt some glue in the crack, clamp until dry and it would be stronger than one without a crack. Or you could simply buy a new dowel at a hardware or building supply store. Dowels are inexpensive. You could fix or replace the dowel in a few minutes or wait a week or two for SJS to send you a replacement.

BTW, I don't think the dowels are subject to a lot of stress and it would probably work fine if you did nothing at all. Or wrap the end in duct tape, the universal fix-all.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
jddjirikian said:
Hi.

My carradice lowsaddle longflap arrived yesterday from STJStreet cycles.

It's a great product and I can see why they're so highly rated and, unfortunately, highly priced.

That said, the dowel is cracked on the end past one of the strap eyelets. It's a noticeable crack and I imagine it will stress with weight once the bag is used. I emailed STJcycles to address the problem but haven't heard back.

Assuming they deny that it's their problem to fix, and since I'm in the good ole USA and can't really contest it too much with them, does anyone have any recommendations on how to remedy the cracked dowel?

Are there any companies/craftsmen in America you recommend that could fix the problem? Do I need to get a new dowel? Will a metal dowel work?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
Lowes, Home Depot, craft, and hobby stores all sell dowels... It's a $1 fix..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi

Thanks for all the replies. I'll post pics soon. The crack is slightly more than a hairline and with some stress shows separation of about 1-2 mm

I'm not averse to trying to fix the dowel on my own I just don't know if I void the warranty (if it applies) by doing that.

I'm not very handy so any further advice is appreciated

Thx

·
hello
3,394 Posts
tarwheel2 said:
I understand your frustration but that should be a pretty simple problem to remedy. You could squirt some glue in the crack, clamp until dry and it would be stronger than one without a crack.
+1 This is exactly what I would do. It's a quick 5 minute fix without having to remove anything.

I wouldn't even worry about warranty issues at this point. Not worth the hassle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I'm just going to get a new dowel and re-do the installation.

I'm kinda bummed that it appears to have left the factory with the dowel cracked. The crack line certainly starts where the screw is.

Thanks for all the replies.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.