Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
4,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully nobody else is suffering from this. The corners of my fingertips get so dry they crack and bleed. They also hurt as bad as a paper cut. I have tried all the creams to remedy this to no avail. My problem is compounded by using riding gloves with exposed fingers. I know, some will say use gloves with the fingers covered. I simply can't get used to wearing full coverage gloves when riding. Winter riding has been a blast fro me but these cracked fingers are literately sucking the life out of me. Any ideas how to alleviate this problem so I can enjoy winter riding?

·
Master debator.
8,816 Posts
Yep. I wash my hands, let 'em dry, and then I superglue the cracks. They make the "approved" medical kind at Walgreens, but I use plain old Super glue.

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
A high end foot cream would work too. I use dermal therapy foot care and it works like a charm! It is nice and thick, but still rubs in nicely. I would also recommend you to put it on your hands at night to allow for healing.

Proven moisturizers for dry skin or even scaly skin

·
Registered
566 Posts
I'd use an antibiotic cream topped with petroleum jelly until the cracks healed, followed by just petroleum jelly occasionally once the cracks disappeared, coupled with Curel Intensive Healing Lotion. Aquafore can be substituted for the jelly, but it costs more. It may stay on your hands better, which is good.

Especially right after a shower, showering is very hard on the skin if you've problems.

I've a long history of very sensitive, cracking skin. Is it possible you have eczema, psoriases, or some other skin condition that exacerbates it like allergies to irritants? Have you ever had any other skin conditions?

If so, avoidance of irritants in general can improve your health, (not just for allergies, for any sensitive skin) and this is a major health issue. As you said, it's directly related to energy, and makes you more succeptible to infection.

Are strong floor and bathroom cleaners like bleach, degreasers, lysol, scouring powders etc. used in your home or office? This could make it worse. I use vinegar and Dawn Hand Renewal dish soap to clean my house while wearing gloves. The Dawn can be used to clean my bathroom and floors and counters. Just a little soap in hot water. Mostly water. Rinse. And use vinegar and water for less dirty areas, or to clear away any soap residue. Also, I avoid sprays, like air deodorizers. Baking soda is good to clean with, but it's hard to rinse and clean up. I do use it on my carpet, then vacuum.

If you have carpet, cleaning it frequently is important. I have a steam cleaner. (Really just a carpet shampoo machine). I usually use a vinegar and water mix instead of the harsh cleansers you are supposed to use. If I do use a commercial cleaner, I have to follow it with vinegar/water, then just water to remove the harsh chemicals.

I can't use soap at all, and use a product called Tate's Natural Miracle Shampoo (and also their conditioner) both on my hair and on my body. The ingredients are things like chamomile, pine needles, etc. My health has improved incredibly since I've eliminated soap from my showering/ handwashing. This product lathers like soap, and is clear and odor free. Or almost. Best place to buy is nutritiongeeks.com. I buy the gallon bottles, but it's available in smaller amounts.

Also watch deodorants. Aerosols are bad. Spray perfumes are bad. So are the residues of sprays left by a housemate. Dove unscented is good. Arm and Hammer unscented deodorant is okay, but not as gentle as Dove.

It could be just your shower routine; what kind of soap do you use in the shower and for hand washing? Try something with added gentle lotion like Dove or Caress, or maybe some Goat's Milk Soap. These could do it for you, too. Same goes for shampoo, find something with less 'crap' in it, like Aveeno shampoo and conditioner.

I've used Cetaphil. It dried my skin. Very clean. Maybe too clean. Same with Purpose, Nutrageena, and a bunch of other standard commercial remedies.

Once you get things under control, you should only have to use something like petroleum/Aquafore occasionally. I like Curel Intensive Healing lotion for an all-over body and hand lotion (package with some red markings). The Curel isn't greasy, but does continue to moisturize after application. Unlike other brands I've tried. And they also make a hand and foot formulation.

Using too many different creams with a mix of chemicals can make things worse. So be careful. I'd try the vaseline thing for at least a week. I know it's greasy and inconvenient, but it's best for serious problems.

·
Low rep power
6,264 Posts
Moisturizer (your pick) at night.

Superglue during the day (that's what my dermatologist recommended)

Some people have more of an issue with this than others. I'm one of them. :(

·
Registered
95 Posts
Try taking an omega-3 fish oil supplement. I have the same problem with my fingertips and after taking a 1200 mg capsule for a couple of days the skin on my fingertips was much less dry and no longer cracked.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I'm a machinist and wash my hands all day long. I get the split fingers too. I found that if I fill the splits with Vaseline chapstick, they go away fast. Also use a good lotion throughout the day and before bed.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
I use the superglue trick, too. Use it immediately when a crack appears. Don't put it into the crack (it interferes with healing) - hold the skin together and put it over the crack like a liquid bandage.

I love this hand lotion
Dumont Company

I also try not to overuse harsh soaps. In winter I almost always wear rubber gloves (nitrile) when washing dishes, etc.

I used to have really annoying finger cracks in winter, and this regimen has almost totally eliminated them.

·
Re-Cyclist
1,568 Posts
You should get used to full finger gloves. A few rides and you may find that you prefer them. I do. Besides protection in case of falls, you can moisturize and then put the gloves on to keep from drying out during a ride (especially in dry climates). You just gotta hang in there. I haven't owned fingerless gloves in years, and have lightweight vented ones for summer. My fingers are happy!

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.