Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Below are some pictures of the CF fork on my Trek 5500. There are a few chips on the clearcoat which aren't of concern, but there are also a few things which could look like cracked carbon fibre on both sides. Maybe they are also superficial, and I will have it checked out by the LBS, but I would appreciate other opinions. Apologies for the large pictures.

·
C 1/5
609 Posts
just put some duct tape on it - you'll be fine :rolleyes:

just kidding...

how does it feel when you rub your fingers across it - do you feel fibers? or can you snag a fingernail on it? its probably cracked.

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
too difficult to tell from the pictures. The "crack" on the inside of the right side could just be a scratch(I think its a scratch). If I had to guess, for the sake of guessing I'd say everything seen in the pictures is cosmetic only. Let us know what your LBS says.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are no fibres visible, and it is certainly possible that all of these are cosmetic. The bike hasn't been in any crashes, but I can't figure out how I chipped both sides of the fork. It's booked into the LBS next thursday, so unless the LBS is certain that it is superficial, I will probably replace it, since the fork is one place where you don't want to play Russian roulette.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts