Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding my 2006 Giant TCR carbon on the trainer this winter using a cycleops fluid. I've been clamping the rear triangle fairly tight but I don't think too much. When cleaning it the other day, I noticed some paint cracks near the non-drive side drop out. Cannot tell if it's just paint or something worse. The bike doesn't make any funny noises when I ride it. I'm thinking the clamping force of the trainer may have cracked the paint but hoping nothing worse than that. Any advice is appreciated. By the way, does anyone know Giant's warranty policy?

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Lots in the archives. It's highly unlikely it's anything but cosmetic damage. When I used a trainer I'd ride a beater so it wouldn't matter.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I, too, have an older Giant carbon fiber (ca. 1992, round carbon tubes epoxied to aluminum lugs), and have used a Cycleops fluid trainer for the last two winters...no damage. If anything, I'd be worried about cracking around the bottom bracket.

Try this simple, somewhat scientific test: Tap the rear triangle tubing near the drop-out with something metal....shaft of a large screwdiver or handle of, say, a 3/4" wrench and listen for differences in the sound from other tubing intersections to tap. If it sounds differrent at the suspicious area, investigate further. Take the bike off the trainer and remove the rear wheel first....this is to reduce the things that might dampen the vibration of a cracked tube.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts