Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
True'd my wheels in Dec 06, last big ride was 60 miles January 6, 2007.

In the process of trying to figure out the chain ring issue (see my other post), I noticed
my rear wheel had a wobble with brake rub..

So I checked the spokes.. damn, this one spoke was loose in the socket... I don't remember this on my ride or having any type of brake rub problems...hmmm.....

So I was playing around with it again and pushing the spoke in and out wondering why it isn't
connected to the rim anymore, and then I noticed the the hub flange is cracked. OOPS. :mad2:

6,500 miles.. it had to of happened in my apartment while on the my bike rack... Nothing hit it...??..

So now dealing with my crank issues, I've got this wheel issue too.. <sigh>

/edit/
After searching on Cracked Hub Flange, this appears to be common
/edit/

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,465 Posts
Looks like a bad casting. Will Bonny give you a new wheel?

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
My Campy Chorus rear hub cracked at the flange at about 10,000 miles. I was just at the 3-year warranty limit, but Excel Sports sent me a whole new wheel.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
did you true the wheel yourself or have a shop do it (done according to spec'd tension for spokes). Otherwise it's possible they'd say the spoke tension was too high?

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
stevesbike said:
did you true the wheel yourself or have a shop do it (done according to spec'd tension for spokes). Otherwise it's possible they'd say the spoke tension was too high?

I did it myself. I used a tension meter to make sure they were all pretty close and nothing was out of spec.

Search on "cracked hub flange".. looks like a lot of Bontragers suffer fatigue.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
I cracked a flange on a campy NR hub about ten years ago. Last summer a chunk broke out of a chorus hub while I was riding a practice time trial. On the NR hub, it was pretty old and on its third rim. I found the crack while I was repacking the bearings. The chorus hub felt like I had broken a spoke because of the noise and the wheel immediately going out of true. The chorus hub was seven years old and had 50K plus miles on it. It probably shouldn't break like that, but I got my moneys worth out of it.

·
Registered
543 Posts
It might be common on certain models of hub, but overall I'd say it's pretty rare. I've been riding for 25 years and never seen one.

·
Registered
105 Posts
bontrager will take care of it, its not really there fault its probably a dt swiss issue. bontrager's warrenty on most their wheels is 5 years, pretty unbeatable.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Check out this Race X-Lite spontaneous hub flange failure

Stock wheels on 2002 Lemond Maillot Jaune.
1500-2000 mi/yr.
Rider weight 150 lbs.
No crashes.
I doubt there were spoke tension issues.

This failure occurred spontaneously when bike was hanging from garage ceiling.

·
Registered
239 Posts
That era of bontrager wheels, pre 2008 and post rolf transfer commonly crack. They were poorly designed and the rims and hubs were prone to cracking. Bring the wheels to your local trek dealer and they should be more than happy to send them in for a new set. The 2008 wheels are being shiped out now, as well as they are much hotter and better designed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My Bontrager Race XLite Failed

I was riding on a perfectly smooth roads. This is the final crack after taking two weeks for the stresses to relieve. This image is not for the faint of heart.

I have petitioned the Consumer Product Safety Commission for a product recall. If you have, or know someone who has, experienced hub or rim cracks, then by all means contact these investigators, especially if a crash happened due to wheel failure.

http://www.cpsc.gov/
[email protected]

[

·
chamois creme addict
1,479 Posts
Shoot the messenger

dead flag blues said:
Here's mine. It's a known DT problem.
Actually it is a BONTRAGER problem. DT makes the hubs to Bontrager's specs but they don't actually build the wheels or even design the flanges.

I am also a member of the Bontrager Race X-Lite failure club. I was not original owner, though I got the wheels new and could not get a warranty out of Trek. Not their fault, I knew buying the wheels I would have a hard time getting warranty. Even so given all the failures, I doubt I would buy Bontrager wheels again, maybe if they came on a Trek I would use them but I would never buy them aftermarket.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've been on a wheel-building binge lately, and I've been reading up on wheel-building theory. It sounds like this cracked flange is, as other have suggested, a known manufacturing defect. I have cracked hub flanges before, and my understanding is that the cause is often insufficient spoke tension on the rear non-drive side. The theory goes: insufficient spoke tension focuses more load on the hub flange and rim. Is this correct?

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
All these cracked Hub Flange pictures are amazing and new info to me.
I've been riding the same 36-Campy H/F Track Hubs with 14 Ga DT Spokes since the 70's and never had a Flange Failure.
Wow....guess I'm just LUCKY.....
John

·
Registered
9 Posts
More Thoughts on Spoke Tension Forces

stabdawgarson said:
The theory goes: insufficient spoke tension focuses more load on the hub flange and rim. Is this correct?
There is definitely more FLEX in the rim of an insuffiently tensioned wheel, but the overall load (the rider) is the same. The simple case would be 4 spokes radially laced. The load at the hub is vertically supported by the spoke at 12 o'clock. Metal spokes work in tension, not compression, so the lspoke at 6 o'clock has effectively 0 force on it. The vertical force then is transferred to the rim. A super stiff rim would be able to support the stress without deflection. In practice, rims are not. The horizontal spokes prevent the rim from permanently deforming.

The hub too, experiences a different flex / distribution of forces, but it's the same load of the rider.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Trek, Bontrager wheel set failures

The Consumer Products Safety Commission is currently investigating failures of Trek / Bontrager wheel sets.

CPSC is still interested in receiving incident or injury reports related to this product .

Being exposed to a possible product-related hazard does not imply that the product caused an incident, only that there is a hazard or possibility of injury.

If you haven't already you should send a report to the CPSC, either call CPSC's Hotline at (800) 638-2772 or follow this link.

https://www.cpsc.gov/cgibin/incident.aspx

1 - 20 of 21 Posts