Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, I was doing routine post ride maintenance tonight and found that my rear der (ultegra 6500 9spd) jockey pulley is cracked. Now I don't know for how long it's been like that, but was wondering :

1 - Did some people ever saw that happened to them ? I saw severe wear, missing tooth, but a split crack like this, it's a first.

2 - Is it a sign of something else wrong with the der ? Will the new pulley crack like this ? The bike has over 12k miles, but shift perfect.

3 - Would you still ride the bike while the replacement pulley is on the way ?

Thank you!

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
I've seen something similar on Campy SR/NR 80's pulleys, these are all attributed to age. I have a set that were never used and developed the cracks in storage over the years. Here's a write up on it.
Campagnolo Nuovo Record Derailleur Pulleys | eBay
Not sure what conditions you store your bike in, the same thing could be starting with this vintage of bike.
As I have more than one, I'd just move to another ride. If I only had one bike, I'd ride it.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I've had the internal ceramic bearing break into a bunch of pieces or a tooth fall off on my mtb but never had the whole thing crack like that. I probably wouldn't ride it like that in case it exploded to bits but I ride in kind of a remote area and don't have someone readily available to pick me up should that happen.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
View attachment 283113

I looked at your image a little closer and noticed the teeth are a bit messed up too. A couple are chipped up and the one at about two o'clock has it's top knocked off.

·
coaster
1,051 Posts
During an enduro I cracked a pulley on a year old Sram X9 mountain derailleur. It was spoked rather than solid and it bent after cracking making it barely able to finish the stage with much skipping. No idea what caused this, though the teeth were fairly worn making the material kinda thin.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank's for the feed back guys. I've bought a Shimano pulley replacement kit that fit the 6500. I now have two new pulley. As some of you pointed out, there where going bad anyways.

Thanks.

·
Read Only
16 Posts
Yes! I noticed one on my Red RD - lower pulley yesterday. It's about 4 years old. The funny (or not so funny) thing is, that on June 1st at Dirty Kanza I had the pleasure of going over the bars at mile 6. Derailleur was a little bent, bent it back, finished the race and noticed the Upper pulley was cracked in the same manner as yours. Sram Force. So, I have had this happen to TWO Sram pulleys, one lower, one upper in 26 days. One RD was new and one was about 4k in.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I know this is old and reviving the post. I have SRAM RED Yellow Edition,
My bike is a Trek 2013 5.9 Madone.

While having a compact crank put on for 6 Gap in Georgia end of the month, The LBS called me and told me my Jockey Pulley wheel is cracked on Rear Der. Reading the post, where is best place to buy some. The LBS wants to put on the really expensive ones. I ride alot but no means am I a pro. Do not think I need that. Any info would help alot. Thanks

·
Registered
248 Posts
I have ~6,000 miles on a 6500 jockey pulley that cracked early in it's life (can't recall now) and all is well. Have a well used Nouvo Record in the parts bin with both cracked, probably due to age, heat, ozone, what ever but not impact.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I have SRAM RED Yellow Edition,...The LBS wants to put on the really expensive ones. I ride alot but no means am I a pro. Do not think I need that. Any info would help alot. Thanks
Agree, RED pulleys with ceramic bearings are a waste. I suggest getting Force pulleys with their standard steel bearings, much cheaper and every bit as good. There are some aftermarket pulleys available, but I'd stick Sram stuff.

·
Registered
21 Posts
After reading this post and your other one about the bottom bracket, it sound like your LBS is both not very helpful and also trying to sell you overpriced parts you don't need.
Not very helpful.... I always think they charge way to much. I know they need to make some kind of profit.
You ever have any issues with your 5.9 as far as under mount rear brakes or bearings in the crank wearing out after 700-1000 miles or less

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
A lot depends on how fast you want the parts.

There are a lot of Jockey Pulleys on E-Bay in a variety of sizes, shapes, and materials. Aren't they a pretty universal in fit? Just get the right number of teeth.

I have no idea the longevity of the pulleys for riders that put on several thousand miles a year.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.