Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody cracked their Zipp or other Carbor Wheel.I cracked my Zipp trying to bunny hop over a large pot hole. I wound up hitting the Pot Hole and cracked the wheel. What is the normal procedure? Is there a replacement policy? I am having a hard time believing my wheet is ruined just like that. Any suggestions? Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
zipp website...

I would think that the zipp website would have the answers:

http://www.zipp.com/support/warranty/warranty.php

Anything determined to be under warranty will be repaired free of charge; anything outside of this and within the 5-year range, will be covered under our previously mentioned No Fault Crash Replacement Program, which offers a highly discounted rate on a repair or replacement (pricing will be given to your authorized dealer). If you take advantage of this program, we will keep – and destroy – the old or damaged product.

Bottom line, you get a discount, but it won't be cheap to repair. Most Zipp rims run $750+.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
Clincher or tubular?

It's very easy to destroy a carbon clincher.

I would advise practicing on an aluminum rimed wheel.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,564 Posts
zipp doesn't make carbon clinchers, so it's a tubular. i got bumped off my line in a crit a couple of years ago on the bell lap and smacked a man hole cover that was about an inch below the pavment, the edge cracked my front 303 rim. crash replacement works...
it doesn't take much to damage a carbon rim, bunny hopping unsuccessfully will do it. not zipps fault...they make rims for riding, not smacking the edges of potholes. chances are you would have damaged an aluminum rim as well.

·
TheHeadlessThompsonGunner
523 Posts
cxwrench said:
not zipps fault...they make rims for riding, not smacking the edges of potholes. chances are you would have damaged an aluminum rim as well.
Right. I've done in Open Pros and Ambrosio Excellences on square edges. Kudos to you for being so reasonable about it! Sorry you're out all that dough... I guess if it's worth spending how-ever-many hundreds of dollars on a new rim, they were worth it to begin with though, eh?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts