Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of Mavic Ksyrium Sl wheels and the rear has a crack on it. I was talking to one of the mechanics at the LBS and he stated that Mavic may not cover this under warranty since I am not the original owner. He also stated that it would probably run me around $300 to have it repaired by Mavic. The owner let me use some FLO60 wheels that he is selling. They put them on the bike and I left. When I got home I decided to take them off and put the stock wheels back on. I rode this morning and immediately felt the difference between my Mavic's and the factory wheels. I am looking online and found a set of Shimano Ultegra WH-6800 for $319 at Nashbar. I like the wheels and based on the reviews they seem to be a good all around wheel. Still looking around and would like to hear some recommendations on wheels. Trying to stay at $500 or below. Below are some pictures of my bike with the FLO60 wheels on it.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,565 Posts
How can anyone give you any advice when you didn't say how you actually felt about the wheels you tried? You 'felt a difference'...good? Bad? Help us out here a little.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didn't ride them much. The bike shop put them on and I went outside in their parking lot and they felt ok. Not a big fan of the whistling noise.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I haven't ridden the FLO's because as soon as I got home I took them off since I'm not crazy about how deep they are and not a fan of the whistling noise they make. So, it's safe to say that the FLO's are out.

I've narrowed my search to three wheelsets.
1. Shimano Ultegra WH-6800 - $359 - 16/20 spoke - 1,640 grams
2. Easton EA-70 LTD - $349 - 20/24 spoke - 1,580 grams
3. Reynolds SE 11 - $399 - 20/24 spoke - 1,560 grams

My bike mechanic recommended the Easton wheels. He said that if I could get my hands on a set of used EA-90 to go with those but nothing older than 2014. I went to my local Performance Bike store and the three people I talked all said to go with the Shimano wheels.

I would like to hear your opinions on the three wheelsets listed above.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,565 Posts
I haven't ridden the FLO's because as soon as I got home I took them off since I'm not crazy about how deep they are and not a fan of the whistling noise they make. So, it's safe to say that the FLO's are out.

I've narrowed my search to three wheelsets.
1. Shimano Ultegra WH-6800 - $359 - 16/20 spoke - 1,640 grams
2. Easton EA-70 LTD - $349 - 20/24 spoke - 1,580 grams
3. Reynolds SE 11 - $399 - 20/24 spoke - 1,560 grams

My bike mechanic recommended the Easton wheels. He said that if I could get my hands on a set of used EA-90 to go with those but nothing older than 2014. I went to my local Performance Bike store and the three people I talked all said to go with the Shimano wheels.

I would like to hear your opinions on the three wheelsets listed above.
Shimano wheels all day every day if those are your choices. Great quality, durable hubs, easy to get parts if needed. They're all 'proprietary' to a certain degree, but the Shimano is going to hold up the best if you ask me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have Shimano 6800 rims- they are bullet proof. Not the lightest or the most aero but you can give them a good battering and they keep on rolling straight.
They are also tubeless ready and they look quiet smart too imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A riding buddy has a set of Ultegra 6700 that he's letting me try out. So far I like them. Didn't have a chance to ride them because it rained but will try tomorrow. I run a 6700 groupset so these match perfectly. As far as weight goes they feel about the same as my Mavic.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

·
Registered
427 Posts
Just repeating and synthesizing what others have said:

1. You might consider going with custom-built wheels, as you could get a set that are cheaper, lighter, and easier to mainttain/repair over the years. The kinlin XR31 is a fantastic rim (I've built 3 sets) and you can get them with top of the line spokes (plus cheap hubs with quality bearings) for under $350.

2. If you want factory-built, then of those choices, it's hard not to pick Shimano. Bulletproof indeed.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I bought a set of Ultegra 6800 wheels. Performance had a good deal on wheels and they price matched and I had $42 worth of point plus military discount I ended up paying $262 for them. Haven't had a chance to ride them yet but hopefully the rain will stop and I'll take them out for a spin.

Here is a picture of the bike with her new wheels.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts