Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading a lot about cracked frames from Litespeed, Lynskey, Douglas, Merlin,etc.

Has it happened to anyone here with a Seven?

I'm planning to have a Seven.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I don't have one, yet but have spoken to a lot of owners this season. No one has had anything but praise for Seven. Haven't heard a thing about frame cracks. In fact, I ride with two Linskey owners and haven't heard them mention it either.

Where have you read "a lot" about cracked frames?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I read them in forums and google. It turns out I cannot post photos yet because I only have 6 posts. LOL. I sure will post photos as soon as I hit 10 posts.

·
Registered
710 Posts
While some of those may look like bad welds, some others don't. Without knowing all the details, it's hard to say if the cracks were caused by crashes, running into the garage door, bad wrenching, etc.

I'm into the second summer with my Lynskey Sportive and haven't had any issues. There's a big guy in my club with a three year old + Helix.

Everything breaks. Anything made by humans will have a flaw. Good quality control practices help, but everything breaks.

Google broken carbon for some fun.

·
Formosan Cyclocross
3,378 Posts
All materials can be broken and I would imagine that it is possible for something to go wrong at any stage in production. If you are considering a Seven, you know they carefully select tubing to ensure quality. They also have a lifetime warranty. If, for some inexplicable reason, something goes wrong that is not the result of rider error, they would most likely replace your frame.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Cracked ti

I don't have one, yet but have spoken to a lot of owners this season. No one has had anything but praise for Seven. Haven't heard a thing about frame cracks. In fact, I ride with two Linskey owners and haven't heard them mention it either.

Where have you read "a lot" about cracked frames?
Pthe 2nd from bottom is Airborne?
That's terible. What is the bottom?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Seven frame

I have been reading a lot about cracked frames from Litespeed, Lynskey, Douglas, Merlin,etc.

Has it happened to anyone here with a Seven?

I'm planning to have a Seven.
I have only had my Axiom SLX for about 700 miles now.
I have not seen any cracks but its only 700 miles. I would be
real unhappy if it did crack, that is for sure. Durability was
one of the advantages (or so I thought) of a good TI frame.
My fingers are crossed.

·
Formosan Cyclocross
3,378 Posts
I really don't think there is any reason to keep one's "fingers crossed". The only reason you see so many cracked frames on the internet is because you search for them. Google cracked (material of choice) and you will be sure to find plenty of examples. For the most part, MOST bikes produced by any reputable manufacturer are not going to crack. Then there are a handful that do and those go on the internet. I had a scandium alloy frame crack at the HT. It was replaced. I have seen numerous CF bikes trashed. I have seen some nice steel framed bikes and aluminum bikes fail. It happens.

I still think the durability of titanium is relevant. I don't know how many times I have knocked a chainstay against something without damage I couldn't polish out with 3M pads. The bike looks new when it is not dirty.

So really, there is no idea to unnecessarily inflate the fears of potential frame failure unless you are an insurance salesman.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Cracked Axiom

Yes, I have a cracked Axiom. While riding on a club ride. I was sprinting up a 200 meter rise when my Seven turned into a wet noodle. Cracked all around the BB. Looked into having it repaired through Seven but is to expensive. I am the second owner. Purchased from a ex Seven employee. Loved the bike for the five years that I rode it. Very disappointed that Seven will not help me out on the repair. Needless to say I bought a used Elium. Lovin my new Seven. Hopefully it last longer than the Axiom. There is just something about Sevens that keeps me wanting to ride one.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, I have a cracked Axiom. While riding on a club ride. I was sprinting up a 200 meter rise when my Seven turned into a wet noodle. Cracked all around the BB. Looked into having it repaired through Seven but is to expensive. I am the second owner. Purchased from a ex Seven employee. Loved the bike for the five years that I rode it. Very disappointed that Seven will not help me out on the repair. Needless to say I bought a used Elium. Lovin my new Seven. Hopefully it last longer than the Axiom. There is just something about Sevens that keeps me wanting to ride one.
May I know what year was your original Seven?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I believe it is a 2000. I bought it in 2005 after it came back from Seven. The owner had Seven go through the frame and make it look new again.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts

Yeah, I thought Seven had a lifetime warranty....was it limited in some way? Why wasn't it covered in full? :confused:

·
Registered
246 Posts
I think it's just the nature of titanium to crack when it's pushed beyond it's limits. Instead of bending it cracks. But I wouldn't think it's a real common thing. Of the thousands of Ti bikes built every year there are maybe a couple dozen pics of broken frames online. People break frames of all materials so I wouldn't let a few pics push you away from titanium. I've got an Airborne and if it fit me better I'd probably sell my carbon frame and put all of my good parts on it because it rides great and is super easy to take care of.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Love my Aerios! Had it built in 2007. It's been glorious riding ever since. The response is crisp and the custom fitting of the frame makes it ultra comfortable. I
Pity the bastards in British Airways decided to add a ding in the down tube. I've been eyeing repairs on the downtube but worry about the cost myself.
The thing stayed true and not a single crack in sight.
Although the decals have nearly all but gone.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A friend of mine just cracked his 2nd hand Litespeed (Vortex). Turns out Litespeed is ignoring the "lifetime" warranty (for other original owners). His broke at the bottom bracket, due to a stress riser introduced through sloppy manufacturing. It seems this is a common problem for Litespeeds of that timeframe (~2004).

I have a 1999 Axiom, and did this google out of curiosity. My Seven has been ridden for many thousands of miles with no problems. Just wanted to post that it has been all good. Not all Ti is built the same it seems. The Seven quality is evident. I didn't quite realize how much until I had to listen to my buddy about his issues with Litespeed (sloppy construction seems to be the root cause of this rash of failures).

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Seven's design philosophy is on the mark. From tech supplement:

"Odd tube shapes (ovals, so-called geometrically enhanced tubes, squares, six-sided tubes, etc.) are becoming more and more common these days. At first glance, these shapes appear to enhance the performance of the bike. Unfortunately, in most cases,
performance is actually compromised."

"Grain structure is what provides the strength and toughness of a material. The mill draws the tube in a specific way so that the resulting grain structure is optimized for strength and fatigue endurance. Thus, if the shape of the tube is changed, the tube's grain structure is also changed. As a result, the tubes' strength and durability are compromised."

1 - 20 of 26 Posts